Author Topic: Choosing an acoustic guitar  (Read 4068 times)

Offline samiosh

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Choosing an acoustic guitar
« on: January 27, 2016, 03:13:37 pm »
Hello everyone  ;D , so i played guitar for 2-3 years i guess on and off, i stopped playing for like 11 months ago due to frustration with my cheap guitar (got my left shoulder injured because of it), so i put it away and never got back to it, now i have a little bit of cash (not that much) and i have a choice between these two cheap (not so cheap where i live) yamaha guitars:

JR1:
http://fr.yamaha.com/fr/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/miniguitars/jr1/?mode=model

F310 Tobacco:
http://fr.yamaha.com/fr/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/ac-guitars/f/f310/?mode=model

the problem is that the first one is a 1/2 scale, others advertise it as 3/4 so i don't know what to believe, and Justin advised against getting a 3/4 scale guitar, but i have my reasons:

1. Strumming is boring when you can't sing, and unfortunately i can't.
2. I want to play mainly percussive fingerstyle like Ed Sheeran and John Mayer, so a lot of thumb reaching action.

So, should I go with the normal F310 like Justin suggests (full scale), or should i follow my gut and get the children one haha the JR1? (I'm 1.68m (5.6f), with relatively thin fingers).

PS: I intend to keep this one for a long time since guitars are crazy expensive here, so please consider that.

Thank you.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
Re: Choosing an acoustic guitar
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 03:50:42 pm »
Samiosh much as I'd like to recommend something I think on this occasion given the info you've provided it sounds like you've identified the criteria yourself:-

1. You've been playing (or played) for 2-3 years so you've got a good understanding of how to hold a guitar and play and by the sounds of it what size guitar doesn't suit you.
2. You want to do fingerstyle so it sounds like your concerned about size of the neck etc to make reaching easy.

Without doubt the main thing would be to try these guitars out and see what they feel like OR find a good online/offline store that will allow you some time to try it out and return if it doesn't suit.

obviously as you spend more quality of materials improves (although I suspect you need to look at the significant step changes to get an increase in quality) and therefore in theory the tone/sound.

p.s. I'm not sure strumming is that boring but each to their own.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 03:54:40 pm »
Assuming similar quality.  Full size.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline samiosh

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 04:18:48 pm »
Thank you Rossco01, yes i played for 2-3 years but only on my guitar, so i don't have any experience with others, I know about the action and such but i'm not qualified to make a judgement on any instrument, I listed the guitars above because it's the only thing available with a known brand, so we don't have Taylor, Martin or Gibson, and if you find one, it's crazy expensive, so i just want a guitar that can be playable and won't make me abandon it again, i listed the styles to see if a 3/4 is better than the full one.

Yeah i know, you can spice things up with strumming, but i love percussive fingerstyle.

Offline samiosh

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 04:20:46 pm »
I don't know about the quality, but the 3/4 scale is more expensive than the normal one, so if we judge it by its price, the 3/4 is better??

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 435
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 04:57:46 pm »

I intend to keep this one for a long time ....

This on its own is enough to say do not get a 3/4.

There are different size bodies but full scale is the way to go.

Look at this
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=acoustic+guitar+body+sizes&safe=strict&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjYp76Bu8rKAhWGWBoKHZkxDRoQsAQILQ&biw=1440&bih=799#imgrc=_
:)

Offline samiosh

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 05:03:07 pm »
Ok, then i'll get the full scale one, thank you guys for the advice.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 05:32:52 pm »
. I want to play mainly percussive fingerstyle like Ed Sheeran and John Mayer, so a lot of thumb reaching action.

Scale length has nothing to do with you thumb. This is more about string spacing.
I agree with everyone here get a full scale 25.5" or short scale 24.75 (Gibson or Gibson copy)

If you have problems with your shoulder don't buy a dreadnought guitar. There are lots of guitar
out there that are not as thick in the body and easier on your shoulder.

Offline teresainNW

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 11:19:20 pm »
I am 5 ft 6 inch female and have freakishly small hands, even for a girl ;-).  I thought that a 3/4 scale guitar would be better, so I bought one.  It turns out that it's actually EASIER to play a full scale guitar, so I had to get another guitar.  Go figure. 

From my research, people who play fingerstyle tend to like wide string spacing too.  Think about classical guitars, which have extra wide string spacing.  But even on steel string guitars, it helps to have that nudge of extra room between strings.   You can get used to anything, but it does help to have a little extra width.

I see that the nut width on the full scale guitar you are considering is 43mm.  I tried that width, returned the guitar and went with ~44.5mm (actually US 1-3/4 inch).   Saddle string spacing can also matter.  Mine is ~55.5 mm (US 2-3/16 inch).  I don't know why that tiny bit of room makes a difference, but definitely, when considering guitars, try one with slightly wider string spacing, at least for comparison purposes.  You may find that it really speeds up your playing.

Just something else to consider.  Good luck.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 12:01:40 am »
Scale length has nothing to do with you thumb. This is more about string spacing.
I agree with everyone here get a full scale 25.5" or short scale 24.75 (Gibson or Gibson copy)

If you have problems with your shoulder don't buy a dreadnought guitar. There are lots of guitar
out there that are not as thick in the body and easier on your shoulder.

THIS.

Forget 3/4 and smaller scale guitar, look for smaller bodied guitars with regular scale length. I can't get on with dreads either, so bought a mid body - a 000 or parlour/folk sized guitar.

Offline samiosh

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 03:41:01 pm »
So two more votes for the full scale one.

The only reason why i considered the 3/4 scale is because of the Ed Sheeran one, well of course it's not the same haha but it looks like it and have the same measurements

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61Tb93loEaL._SL1200_.jpg
http://data.yamaha.jp/sdb/product/image/main/raw/j/jr1/JR1-0001.jpg

also the JR1 has in MO a better tone than the F310 (saw some videos on youtube), but i guess i'm wrong, so i will get the full scale one.

Thanks again guys.

Offline suzidownunder

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 08:15:21 am »
I had a seagull s6. Beautiful guitar. Beautiful sound. But the full size gave me considerable right shoulder pain. I found playing electric guitars was fine. I have now purchased the Taylor GS mini and the size is perfect. A big sound too. I'm 5.4 so I understand how uncomfortable it can be to use a full size acoustic.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Offline derek.knight

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 10:04:43 am »
I'm with suzi on the Taylor. I have the same guitar. And even though I'm 6' I find it more manageable than a dreadnought

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 11:40:02 pm »
The Big Baby Taylor is a full scale small bodied guitar with a nice sound as well.  But it looks  like the price went up.   >:(
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline derek.knight

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 12:34:54 am »
Yes, here in NZ the GS mini is about $1k and the Big Baby an extra $100

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App