Author Topic: Luthier/Setup  (Read 1216 times)

Offline raidencmc

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
Luthier/Setup
« on: January 11, 2016, 07:38:23 pm »
My wife got me a Yamaha acoustic guitar in September. When I was looking around here and saw how everyone recommending getting a proper setup so I took it to the local music store. He's been in the music business for as long as I can remember. All of the local people who play instruments seem to use him. And more specifically I know of 2 guys who play a lot of local bars really have spoken well about him and have sent me in his direction. He looked at my guitar and adjusted something I think it was the truss rod. I don't recall the reasoning.  I talked to him about adjusting the action and he felt it was a little high, but said I should play for a bit and see if it was affecting me. It was higher closer to the saddle. So being early in learning I'm not really playing that far down yet. For fun I play some skynard and when I'm on the 9th fret I don't have any problems.

So I guess my question is should I just let it be or could I benefit from bringing it closer to the fretboard.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
Re: Luthier/Setup
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 12:31:39 am »
FWIW; Strings are always higher closer to the saddle.. otherwise you wouldn't be able to fret strings without them buzzing out.. If it's a new guitar, and you haven't been playing long, there's a chance that you'll get some fret wear before too long and will have to take it back for some adjustments. (I think beginners tend to fret strings harder.) If the action isn't REAL high, and you're not having problems with it you might want to follow his advice and hold off until you need to take it back again. If you pick up several guitars in the music store and play them, it can give you a sense of the action of different guitars and give you an idea of what's most comfortable for you..
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline raidencmc

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
Re: Luthier/Setup
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 03:02:46 am »
I never thought about playing some others and see how I do. I'll give it a go. Sounds like a good reason to hang out at the music store!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App