Author Topic: Should I make music yet ?  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Bamboocha

• Good Vibes 0
Should I make music yet ?
« on: January 09, 2016, 10:20:35 pm »
Hello :)

I think I've been playing guitar enough (a bit more than 2 years) to make some nice music. I surely like hearing what I play so I decided to record myself. This decision came along quite some time ago and some instrumental stuff has been made. But what bothers me is the effort it takes to make music. I'm still practicing every day and learning all I can about the guitar and that takes a load of my free time. With the recording I've lowered the amount of time I practice and learn so I can focus on the music. I've been using FL Studio and Cubase for this music production and the complexity of the programs has yielded very few recordings. So learning about these programs isn't really interesting and I would rather practice guitar but I would also love to share my musical ideas with the world.

So the question is should I continue learning about these programs (if yes then can you recommend something not so complicated as Cubase or FL Studio) or should I mainly focus on practicing, transcribing and learning guitar ? :)

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
Re: Should I make music yet ?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 10:43:06 pm »
If you like writing and/or recording your own stuff, then go for it! You can learn a lot about music in the process, and that will surely help your playing abilities.

I can't comment on Cubase or FL Studio as I've only used Reaper (and Ableton Live briefly), but I think it really depends on what you're trying to do. It's relatively straightforward to add a new track, arm it for recording and record your part. It gets more tricky when you get into mixing/mastering/multi-track recordings, etc. If all you want is to listen back to hear how your playing sounds then that stuff isn't really necessary, but if you want to produce mixes that sound nice and 'professional' you'll need to spend some time learning how to use your DAW and plugins.

I highly recommend checking out a website called therecordingrevolution.com if you're serious about recording. I have learned a lot from Graham's lessons, and it's definitely worth the time if this is something you intend to keep working on long-term.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 10:44:04 pm »
DAWs have a lot of features that aren't really necessary to learn until you need to use them. If your aren't really concerned with producing polished recordings and are familiar with the basic process of recording and rendering tracks in your DAW, it shouldn't take a lot of time.

Creating templates can really help save time. If you frequently record the same instrument/s and use the same effects; create and save a template that has your input, track names, and effects. Then you can just open the template, record your song, save the song with a unique name, and render it.

Personally; I enjoy the recording and mixing as much or more than I enjoy playing. I think that as you learn more about it and get more familiar with it, it will become easier and more enjoyable for you.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Bamboocha

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 10:21:37 am »
Since I'm willing to share the music I make I'm looking for a nicer mix. So I guess I'll have to explore and learn a bit more about DAWs. 

I highly recommend checking out a website called therecordingrevolution.com if you're serious about recording. I have learned a lot from Graham's lessons, and it's definitely worth the time if this is something you intend to keep working on long-term.

Thank you for recommending this, I'll look into it :)

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 02:43:15 pm »
Yeah, why not make music? That's the end goal anyway, and the more you practice, the more you learn.

I'll second Reaper. One of the nice things about it, aside from being a really good DAW, is that since it is fairly inexpensive there is a lot of information to be found online for anything you'd want to do.

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 07:01:59 pm »
I'll second Reaper. One of the nice things about it, aside from being a really good DAW, is that since it is fairly inexpensive there is a lot of information to be found online for anything you'd want to do.

Agree 100%. In addition to a very comprehensive user manual, you can almost always find an answer to your questions on the Cockos forum.

Online diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 28
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 10:36:03 pm »
I have used Cubase for years. It came free with my interface and I've upgraded it as and when I had the money.

I started by using the drum program and recorded my guitar and vocals over it. it was fairly straightforward. I then messed about with the reverbs,delays etc to see what it sounded like. I found I could do a fairly interesting recording without knowing very much about the program. As I got used to recording I then started looking at what else was available in the program.

If you could be a bit more specific about what you want to achieve, Cubase can be used for an acoustic guitar/vocal or a full blooded orchestral arrangement, I may be able to provide a bit more help.

If you have the software I'd try and learn how to use it but not to the detriment of you learning to play the guitar.

Hope this helps,

Keith

Offline Bamboocha

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 12:02:23 pm »
Thank you all for your responses :D I'm sticking to making music for sure :)

I started by using the drum program and recorded my guitar and vocals over it. it was fairly straightforward. I then messed about with the reverbs,delays etc to see what it sounded like. I found I could do a fairly interesting recording without knowing very much about the program. As I got used to recording I then started looking at what else was available in the program

I'll try this method. I guess you gotta start as simple as possible. Thanks :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App