Author Topic: First time playing in front of people in 20+ years  (Read 895 times)

Offline 12-string_Doug

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
First time playing in front of people in 20+ years
« on: January 02, 2016, 06:57:45 am »
  A local venue (center for the arts) hosted open mics for about six years, but stopped having them in June 2015. I think planned repairs to the building was the main reason for it closing. A restaurant in that same town (about 3.3 miles from my home) started hosting the open mics in November, on Wednesday nights. For January, they had it New Year's Day, from noon to 3:00 PM. The last half hour or so was a "community singalong," basically a jam with a few participants who sang but didn't have an instrument. (Some/most of the participants had Rise Up Singing books for that. I've got an older copy of Rise Up Singing around here somewhere, but I don't know what edition it is.)
  There were a bunch of darn good singers and guitarists, a fiddler, one or two guys who played harmonica, and even one guy with a djembe, who accompanied a couple of other players.
  Everybody else did two songs, but I just did one, Bob Dylan's "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere," something I just learned recently. I did more of a Byrds version, with my Fender 12-string, and altered some lyrics the way Roger McGuinn did on the Byrds' cut and on a version he did with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. (And added "Dylan" to the line, as Roger did when he and ex-Byrds bass player Chris Hillman helped on the 1989 NGDB cover. ;D) I encouraged the audience to help with the choruses, and they did. As I started playing the intro chords, I could hear somebody quietly humming along, and I said "Somebody already knows what it is!" and got a laugh.  8)
  I only recently began using my Zoom Q3HD recorder, so I didn't bring it in with me when I brought in my guitar. I did bring the Q3HD in for most of the singalong session, just to get more familiar with using it, so maybe by the February open mic, I'll have it sussed out enough to be able to get a video of my performance, if I go to that one.
  It was kinda scary, but fun. One of the guys who was there lives in my town and is a member of the amateur acoustic musicians Google group that I created last year, and one of the harmonica players and his wife (a guitarist) are folks I knew from back when I was on the fire department in another town (about 15 years ago), and they were volunteers in a neighboring town. That was cool.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 439
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: First time playing in front of people in 20+ years
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 09:59:48 am »
Way to go

Offline Boobook

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 11:41:56 am »
Nice one, Doug! Sounds like an enjoyable afternoon  :)

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 04:43:46 pm »
Well done Doug  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline 12-string_Doug

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 05:30:15 pm »
  Thanks, guys.
  Hollywood helped talk me into it.  ;)

Offline ravenclaw4

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 01:45:31 am »
Well done Doug :) Sounds very fun,  hope you go to the next open mic, remember to tell us all about it if you do! x
'Don't trust a song that's flawless'- twenty one pilots

Get The Forum As A Mobile App