Author Topic: Backup Windows 10  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
Backup Windows 10
« on: December 19, 2015, 06:44:51 pm »
The other night while I was sleeping someone hit a power pole and I lost power in the middle of a major Windows 10 update.

I have a nice APC UPS and it's set to shut down when there's 5 minutes of battery time remaining, but still, some files were corrupted and I was unable to boot my machine.

Because Windows 10 was an online "upgrade" I didn't have the recovery tools, and hadn't made a recovery disk. Going all the way back to DOS 1.1, this was the first time I've ever had to take my computer to a shop. It took two guys five days to find and replace the corrupt files.

I've learned my lesson, and now have a 1 Terabyte external backup drive. I also have Acronis True Image, and Seagate Dashboard.

I'd like to make the external drive a bootable drive with Windows 10 recovery tools, Windows 10, the backup/restore utility, and the backup on the drive.

I'm looking for backup advise/suggestions from you experts..
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Re: Backup Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 12:35:56 am »
I can't say I'm an eggspurt but... the image software is what we used to do.

IOW... you have PC. You have images that are 'known good'. That 'known good' part is the must have.

So would just image whole PCs. We imaged Dells or whatever. Laptop, desktop, whatever. We had departmental images."hey burn this Dell "XX" for accounting" "Burn the second Dell 'XX" for the security department"...

So we had images for for each version of PC that was very close. IOW all hardware pretty much the same but maybe one had more memory or bigger hard drive but basically the exact same PC.

So naturally you would be imaging your exact PC but you might have to go back with new hard drive or new memory.

But we had all sorts of mess. So the servers had lots of special images for whatever. We just grabbed the correct image for the pc and department.

Now that was long time ago. But I am pretty sure imaging is still the de-facto way to go. But what happened to you... you could get a mojo, a black cat bone, a grigri, some dust of the grand wazoo and you are still going to be screwed. Very god chance you had a brown out and/or surge too. But as ar as I know... which again, maybe there is an easier way like cloud service..... but you need some sort of image to go back to where you were.... NOT fix what went wrong. There ain't no fixin' it.. There is put it back like it was and do it again.

Granted you can 'recover' files but I don't trust them. I mean I know they are good and you can do a file compare if possible. But, me, personally... if I could not do file compare I would never have a 100% faith in the recovered file.. If it were music and it sounds good then fine, back it up and rock on. Same for a photo. If I had some technical thing like a huge spreadsheet... I just couldn't trust it without a backup to compare to.

Again... this is NOT up to date Win 10 info... It's just the way we used to do it and it was the State power company, so they kinda liked to keep the lights turned on if you know what I mean.

Gone

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
Re: Backup Windows 10
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 03:07:06 am »
Thanks..

I've made a backup onto the external drive with Acronis True Image.. I think it creates an actual image and updates it. It looked like the Seagate utility just saved folders..

I don't think I can make the 1tB external drive bootable though.. It looks like I'll have to also create some boot media.. There's pages and pages of instructions for Acronis True Image.. I think I'm just going to have to go over it a few times before it all makes sense..
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App