Author Topic: What to do with fat fingers???  (Read 1454 times)

Offline David Anthony

• Good Vibes 0
What to do with fat fingers???
« on: November 30, 2015, 11:19:00 am »
Hiya. Ive been playing a while but sad to say im not brilliant. One of my issues is that I have biggish fingers. Not huge - huge but big enough so that when I press down on a string it often touches another causing either an annoying buzz of touched string or its just a horrid donk and it doesn't ring. Not the clean clear notes that I want to hear. My fingers tips seem to touch two strings.

I know I cant be the only person in the world who has this issue and I know there must be people out there with bigger fingers than mine so any clue or tips guys and gals to help me round this issue?

Regards
David

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
Re: What to do with fat fingers???
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 01:19:56 pm »
First this is a problem many if not most beginners have.  "There is no way I can squeeze my fingers in that space."

It really is just a matter of practicing to learn how to position your hand and fingers.  Also developing the calluses on your finger tips seems to help as well.  Keep your fingers arched so that they are coming down perpendicular to the fingerboard.

Do a web/youtube search on "fingers too fat to play guitar".  Lots of hits.  Common complaint - almost never true.

The initial stages of learning guitar have many issue like this - something seems impossible - but with some persistence and practice starts to work.

Shadow

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline bc coho

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 05:16:34 am »
Only press as hard as you need to. Practice one string at a time and you will be surprised how little pressure you need in order to get a clear note.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dude42

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 07:39:17 am »
I had that problem myself when I first started until I got good calluses. I also have big hands/fat fingers. I will say that the guitar itself can make a slight difference. The scale length and neck width will have an effect on how much room you have to put your fingers in. But I think it's mostly down to being able to play with just the tips of your fingers, which for me required calluses and practice.   :)
PRS SE Custom 24 - Bugera 333 - Peavey 6505 4x12

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 03:10:24 pm »
If you have not had the guitar professionally setup, do so immediately. If the action is too high, as most guitars are out of the box, you will have to press hard to fret the note, flattened and spreading out your fingertip.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline Mellow22

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 03:25:54 pm »
Hiya. Ive been playing a while but sad to say im not brilliant. One of my issues is that I have biggish fingers. Not huge - huge but big enough so that when I press down on a string it often touches another causing either an annoying buzz of touched string or its just a horrid donk and it doesn't ring. Not the clean clear notes that I want to hear. My fingers tips seem to touch two strings.

I know I cant be the only person in the world who has this issue and I know there must be people out there with bigger fingers than mine so any clue or tips guys and gals to help me round this issue?

Regards
David

David, you are certainly not alone! You will learn dexterity as you practice and progress. Also, even though I have small hands I do much better with a 1 7/8 width neck with a modified v profile than a 1 11/16 neck width with low or modified oval profile. Having a little bit more room between strings can make a BIG difference. My hands feel absolutely cramped on a 1 11/16 guitar and having a chunkier neck can help as well. Just my personal experience.

Offline teresainNW

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 04:57:20 am »
Go to a guitar store and try playing some wider neck guitars (1-3/4 or so). Also, make sure your nails are short on your fretting hand and that you're using the very tips of your fingers. All those things solved my husband's "fat finger problem," which was really just an adjustment  :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App