Author Topic: Is this the right choice  (Read 1028 times)

Offline lews

• Good Vibes 0
Is this the right choice
« on: November 29, 2015, 10:20:57 pm »
For those of you into this course, can you respond to help me choose whether or not to purchase?    Justin introduces intermediate foundation to include these items: e and a shape barre chord, 16th note strumming, notes on the fretboard, major scale memorization.   I consider myself barely intermediate, but I've been playing barre chords for years, know the fretboard, know the major pentatonic naturally and most of the major. 

Now he also discusses going into particular styles after the foundation course and it certainly doesn't hurt to review, but I don't want to waste time (and $) with the wrong starting point.   I'm looking for a well structured lesson approach because right now I'm just hunting and pecking and getting nowhere.   Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated - looking for good structured lesson and familiar with all scales but I also solo like I'm playing scales.     If the intermediate isn't  the best place for me, then some suggestions would be great.

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
Re: Is this the right choice
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 11:10:31 pm »
With the exception of the DVD only optional lessons, the IM is free, so I'm not sure why you're worried about money.

Personally, I'd say work through the IM just to make sure you do know everything in it. If you do know everything, then good, but even if you do, you may find you pick up some hints/tips you don't already know.

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 11:58:31 pm »
Right and wrong are very subjective things.

I think what I would do is at least go through the lessons in the Beginner's Course. Watch all of the videos, and at least go through the end goals for each stage to verify you can do that. Then double check the final consolidation.

The reason I say that is twofold. 1, Justin has a certain proficiency expectation at the start if the IM, and to be honest I have yet to hear a single person say they haven't picked up anything useful in the BC (seasoned players included). The second is that it gives you an opportunity to familiarize yourself with him and his lesson approach.

As for IM vs style modules, it's your choice. Just be aware that the style modules are built assuming you can do everything in the BC and IM. Like m_c said, most of the IM is up there, so have a look.

Another option to consider is the Master The Major Scale series. That is a really good lesson series that takes you beyond just knowing the scales, and teaches you how they work and how to use them. That really opens a lot of doors as well.

Offline lews

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 01:11:31 pm »
To the first comment, I was purchasing the DVD due to internet bandwidth issues, but the main thing was finding the best starting point as I don't mind supporting the cause.   I've been hunting and pecking too long and it's really important to find the right starting place and sticking with it.   That's the reason for my question.

Thanks for the thoughts.   I'll start with it and back up if needed, and bradt is right about learning something and the final consolidation.

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 52
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 03:47:26 pm »
If, after having looked through the BC and IM, you see that can do everything in the consolidation sections of both courses, then look at the Intermediate Modules.

If you have some scale knowledge, but want more, then the two approaches are the Blues Lead course (focused on Minor Pentatonic, all over the neck) and Master the Major Scale (guess).

The Blues Lead course will stop your playing sounding scalular, and organise it into licks, appropriate for blues and rock. It meshes well with the Blues Rhythm course, and I imagine with the Solo Blues (although I haven't done that one.)

MtMS will teach you practice techniques that will bust you out of sounding like you are practicing scales whilst soloing, and also build speed and really teach you your way around the neck. It meshes well with the Practical Music Theory ebook and the Strumming Techniques volume 2 (in my opinion.)

Both of these paths took my playing up to the next plateau.

Whichever way you go, one real benefit of both the Beginners and Intermediate courses is that it shows you how to practice really well, how to structure your practice for genuine, measurable improvement. If you decide not to go with these introductory courses, spending some time browsing the Practice section would perhaps be useful for you.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Yerasov GTA 15, Vox AC4, Vox Wah, Bad Monkey overdrive, Belcat Analog Delay, MXR Phase 90, Ditto X2 looper, MXR Dyna Comp, Boss TU3, bashed-up acoustic, Keyser and Shubb capos, picks, Voodoo Labs PP2

Get The Forum As A Mobile App