Author Topic: £4000 worth of taylor  (Read 3492 times)

Offline JordanD

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
£4000 worth of taylor
« on: November 07, 2015, 06:26:16 pm »

Played this the other night in GuitarGuitar looking at Taylors
This thing is awesome, Koa looks are awesome, but so expensive! :(
I also tried the T5 while I was in Taylor section but wasnt as impressed as what I heard through the videos
What's the most you would pay for a Koa series Taylor?
Edit: It's a K26ce
You must be Born Again. - John 3v3
Gibson J-200
Gibson SG Special, Fender Super Champ x2

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
Re: £4000 worth of taylor
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 01:38:07 am »
I wouldn't pay more than $1500 for any acoustic. That buys an excellent quality guitar. North of that it's all about a specific preference for premium brand, a given sound, and all sorts of blingy appointments and aesthetically pleasing woods.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 02:46:55 am »
Had i the spare cash (which i assuredly do not) i would love to buy a guitar such as that.  I agree that you can get aguitar that likely plays and sounds as good for much less.

But i do believe guitars are things of beauty visually as well as aurally.  The visual aspect is a certainly a secondary consideration for me, it has to play well.  And for 4 grand it had damned well better play awesomely and every detail would need to be flawless, the intonation is dead nuts absolutely on at the 12th, and probably the 17th for a cut away like that.  Without that no matter how visually stunning it was, no thanks.

So yeah had i 4 grand i would love to have that axe.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 03:07:27 am »
I get that some people fall in love with aesthetics. I don't. I can't look at a guitar when I'm playing it, and if I'm not playing it, at that price, it's not going to be on a stand getting looked at. I've 3 kids unable to stay out of the office where i keep my gear. Even I've got dings a plenty on my Sigma despite keeping it bagged and closeted when I'm not playing it. Dinging something like that is going to hurt.

When cost and aesthetics mean it becomes a precious object to be admired, and the concern for its safety and keeping it pristine are therefore much increased, the less interested I am. I'd find a nice guitar for a lot less. Quality is very high across the board these days.

Offline Johan217

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 08:17:14 pm »
I'll admit... I have bought both my guitars purely based on their looks (A Les Paul and a Jaguar). Ever since I was 16 these were the two models that I loved (the third was Christina Applegate  :o) I settled for €400 guitars that look the part and sound pretty decent, and even now when I can afford it financially, I have no particular urge to get "the real thing" that would cost me 5 times as much. I just can't see the point given my current level of playing.

But 4000... that's a whole different league. Wouldn't even cross my mind to reach for my wallet.
Guitars: Chevy LP-C (1991), Squier VM Jaguar (2015)
Amp: Fender Mustang I v2 (2015)

Offline tardigrade

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 08:43:08 pm »
Price and value are relative.  Some people make $4000 a year, others make $40 million.  Some people love finely crafted objects, others don't. 

I just went to a piano showroom where a new Bosendorfer cost $159,000.  That's not a special edition or anything.  A very ordinary Steinway cost $50k+.  By that measure, $4k is cheap, particularly as high end guitars hold their value well.

As a player, $200 buys you a guitar that, in the right hands, will be indistinguishable to all but the worst cork sniffers from a Martin or Taylor.  After that it's all about intangibles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 09:11:39 pm »
I'd pay €4500 or thereabouts, becuase I gotta have a K24ce someday to accompany my koa Taylor GS Mini.

I played a BTO Taylor once that I got word cost about €11k. ;D
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 09:21:30 pm »
I'd take a Les Paul, a Strat and a Tele for about 1k each and blow the rest on an amp instead. In the acoustic section I'm all good with my Sigma.

/Jesper
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline guitar65riff

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 11:33:21 am »
If i had £4000. I'd buy 4 good guitars ;)

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 12:10:18 pm »
If i had £4000. I'd buy 4 good guitars ;)

I'd buy 10. Or one darn good amp and pocket the change. ;)

Whatever turns you on I suppose. I have some expensive artwork that hangs on the wall or stands in a cabinet and my hifi wasn't cheap,  but I don't think I could bring myself to pay 4k for a guitar. Go figure...

But if you want it and can afford it, go for it.
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 08:28:26 pm »
I'd do it multiple times if I could. I played a really nice PRS Custom 24 that I think was €3850.

The Taylor mentioned before has priority though.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Rodrigo

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 3
  • Stuff
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 09:17:13 pm »
I would most definitely buy it and then use it has firewood to build a fire and enjoy the warm cozy flames beneath the Millennium bridge in London where I would be sleeping and crying because then I wouldn't have money to pay the rent, but hey at least I have a fire made out of a 4000 quid, that's a pretty nice fire.

Offline willsie01

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
£4000 worth of taylor
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 06:41:30 pm »
I'd pay £4K for a guitar but I'd want great value and I wouldn't pay it for the brands where a lot of the price is because of the name on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 08:12:51 am »
4k GBP is a hell of a lot for a guitar. Especially a non custom one. IMO, for a factory-made product, $2-3000 is probably the point of diminishing returns on quality and build. Everything north of that is more about looks, wood and inlay bling and preference for a given sound. More money doesn't always mean better, just different.

Offline Audleif

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 02:58:44 pm »
Gibson Hummingbird Vintage looks much better than this(Around $4000?1882 dollar cheap) if we go on aesthetics

Get The Forum As A Mobile App