Author Topic: Looking for online singing/vocal lessons  (Read 1805 times)

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 28
Looking for online singing/vocal lessons
« on: November 04, 2015, 10:05:19 am »
There are clearly a million and one online lessons on Youtube but I don't know how to tell which are great, who actually knows their stuff, etc.

Can anyone recommend any good series for beginners - people who like singing but have had no lessons in their life? Particularly, people who are shy about their voice like me ;)

Online lessons aren't the same as a real tutor but this whole site is testament to the fact they can still be very helpful and I don't see the same shouldn't be true to singing as well as guitar.

Also - are there any good communities focused more around singing and performance in general? I always feel a bit off-topic focusing on those things here, which is ultimately a guitar site!

Thanks.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
Re: Looking for online singing/vocal lessons
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 09:39:54 pm »
Not really any help, but FWIW:

I've been having singing lessons for the last couple of years. I'm still no great shakes, but I'm much more confident, and can approach it in a systematic manner now. There's no way I would have picked up on the subtleties that my teacher has had me working on without her pointing them out, so I very much doubt that on-line lessons would have worked *for me*. YMMV.

Guitar, etc. is something external, so you/I/anyone can view it objectively. Singing is so much internal that (in my case, anyway) it needed someone else to be able to be objective about what I was doing and pull me up / point me in the right direction.

I'd suggest trying to find a teacher...

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 28
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 10:57:59 pm »
It's definitely true that you're way more subjective with your own voice - and nervous singers especially are often held back by that more than their lack of talent (I'm working on this myself!)

However even I can hear some things I like about my singing and other things I don't. And hear how stuff I do now is better than stuff I did a year ago, and particularly hear how stuff I do when confident sounds better than stuff I'm nervous about.

You're probably right that it's MORE helpful to get a real teacher but I still would suggest exercises and theory - what you're trying to do and why - could be self-learned and videos lessons can be very useful.

If you don't mind though, I'd love to hear about your experiences getting lessons if you have the time to write about them?

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 12:12:39 am »
... I still would suggest exercises and theory - what you're trying to do and why - could be self-learned and videos lessons can be very useful.

I don't think there is any problem with "what you're trying to do and why" - there are loads of 'vocal exercise' videos on youtube to improve your range/tone/whatever. I have found that the real value of a teacher is pointing out that what you *think* you are doing is nothing like what you are *actually* doing (plus there is some other stuff that you are doing which you don't even know you are doing...do you stick your chin out when you sing, for instance??)

Nervousness / tension is a HUGE issue, and there are various things we've worked on to *try* and overcome this, or at least recognise it at an early stage. I have also become vastly more conscious of things like the effects of fatigue (I'm absolutely USELESS if I'm tired) and mild dehydration (= too much tea/coffee).

If you don't mind though, I'd love to hear about your experiences getting lessons if you have the time to write about them?

My experience is pretty much as above - I did not have a high opinion of my voice, and would never have said that "I could sing". Oddly, the lessons stemmed from my guitar playing: I was thinking about guitar lessons with a 'real life' teacher, but, on reflection, felt that I knew where I was going with guitar - it just required practice, and progression through Justin's courses (I'm intermediate-ish level, btw.), but that I would like to be able to 'sing along' with some degree of competence - sort of campfire level, so I decided that if I were to devote time / money to lessons then singing would be the way to go.

I found a teacher, and to say I was nervous would be a massive understatement. Standing up and trying to sing in front of another person was one of the hardest things I've done in my adult life (I'm happy presenting to 300+ rocket scientists, though!).

So what happened?

We talked a bit about my goals and ambitions, what type of music I liked, etc. and then she conducted an assessment - singing a scale along with the piano, with various different sounds (ooh, ahh, la, etc!! :) ) to gauge how well I could pitch notes, and articulate sounds, and a breathing test for 'sustainability'. This is something that gets repeated every 6months, or so, and I can see how I have improved.

About a third of each lesson is spent on scales and vocal exercises - making sure that the sound is coming from my chest / diaphragm, and that my mouth / throat / head position isn't restricting it. Once you *know* what it should feel like, then you have a point of reference to target during self guided practice. There is no way I could have found this for myself, and I still find the some of the differences between right and wrong very subtle. The feedback I was getting was uncanny - I would think I was doing the same as before, but my teacher would tell me that my jaw was too tight, or my tongue was too high, or my head was too far forwards, I was looking down, my shoulders were tense or dozens of other things. In every case SHE WAS RIGHT - she didn't even have to watch me to point these things out, she could tell by listening! (e.g. on one occasion she could tell that I'd mildly pulled a muscle in my ribs, despite me never mentioning it.)

The thing is though, rather like guitar: once you've got the basics, you need to re-learn / adapt / finesse what you're doing to improve and develop.

So lessons have concentrated on developing my vocal range (which I thought was about two octaves, but turned out to be about 3 notes - not kidding! - it's now up to a bit over an octave) as well as working on load of songs of my choosing. Some turned out to be totally unsuitable for my current ability, but I couldn't tell and didn't know why. I do now, and some of them are now OK for me. It has given me a reasonably solid foundation on which to build. If I were to compare to guitar, I would say ~2 years of singing lessons have got me to stage 6/7 of the Beginner's course. My ultimate ambition/ability is not much higher.

I guess it is a highly personal experience, so yours will probably be totally different, but that^ was mine...

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 02:41:45 am »
3 notes! Can you elaborate on that?
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 28
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 10:41:19 am »
Thanks a lot for that. I can relate to the nervousness, I envy so much those people who will just burst into song or sing along with the radio, or unselfconsciously sing a bit of a song when you ask "how does that go?" Even when they're terrible, that they don't care is such a goal of mine.

Have you put any recordings on this site or otherwise out of interest? For me, hitting "post" the first time I recorded something and wanted feedback on this site was a massive thing :)

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 11:58:34 am »
Thanks a lot for that. I can relate to the nervousness, I envy so much those people who will just burst into song or sing along with the radio, or unselfconsciously sing a bit of a song when you ask "how does that go?" Even when they're terrible, that they don't care is such a goal of mine.

Have you put any recordings on this site or otherwise out of interest? For me, hitting "post" the first time I recorded something and wanted feedback on this site was a massive thing :)

I think that if you have it in you to hesitate to sing out loud, it will stick to you to some degree.
I used to be very concious about my singing and would never sing out loud unless I was part of a larger group singing together like family parties and the like.
Starting to play the guitar made me want to sing a long because it seemed un-natural to me to just play a chord progression without accompagneing it with the lyrics so I started singing... alone... quietly...
I realized that was I to sing I'd better learn the basics so I went to singing lessons for 3 months or so with the primary goal to push myself into singing out loud. It worked, I learned a lot from that and I now have no problems singing for my band mates or my daughter, but somehow I am hesitant to sing in front of my wife, go figure!
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 06:43:44 pm »
3 notes! Can you elaborate on that?

There's not much more to say... The biggest thing going higher seemed to be to "keep the note down in my chest" (my description). I could only manage it for about 3 notes initially before the sound moved up to my throat (which felt normal to me, and I had tried to sing like that, but marked the end of my range in that particular register) - One test I used to do was to put my hand on my chest  when I sang a note to check I could feel it vibrating.

Going lower tended to result in going off-pitch (marking the other end of my range).

I can now do from a few notes above middle C to a few notes below the C an octave lower "correctly".

Have you put any recordings on this site or otherwise out of interest?

No, but I may.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App