Author Topic: WCAS - Adrenaline Remix Comp  (Read 6460 times)

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 96
WCAS - Adrenaline Remix Comp
« on: October 25, 2015, 03:50:50 pm »
Justin and the band have launched the new remix comp.

Follow this link if you haven't already.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtQE6mEMg_0

The stems are easy to use and mix - so even novices like me can give it a whirl.

I've done a simple edit. Only added some extra drums. Might try another with some additional recording, but thought I'd see what I could make of the original tracks. May need some tweaks on the mix as well.

https://soundcloud.com/digger-72/wcas-remix/s-ZwbiC

Get stuck in.

Digger
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 04:22:16 pm by digger72 »

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
Re: WCAS - Adrenaline Remix Comp
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 07:18:16 pm »
I like it, you've set the bar very high. Like the introduction and the way the drums drive the track. I'll have to crack on with mine once I've unblocked my ears.

Keith

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 442
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 09:17:42 am »
I echo those positive thoughts exactly ... the simplified intro really pulled me in and it ran full steam from there.
Great work digger.
 8)

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 01:36:26 pm »
Nice job digger!  :)

Like Dave said: You've set the bar high.  I like what you did with the drums..  Gonna have to give this one a try. 
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 05:19:18 am »
I didn't do any drum replacement or kewl arrangement changes like Digger did... I just mixed the stems and added some effects..  I wanted to keep the original song pretty much as-is, but give it some more depth and width. I still want to do some pan and volume envelope automation and mix a couple things differently - like the background vocals and a couple guitar parts. One of my friends has some great strings and piano virtual instruments and I want to ask him if he'd be interested in working on this project with me.   

We Came As Strangers did an AWESOME job on this song - and the more I worked on it, the more it grew on me. 

I don't know if I'll enter it in the remix competition, but I loved working on the song. Thanks for the opportunity :)

I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 04:43:28 pm »
Digger/Scoot

I could say that one was comfortably strange and the other just trash but I'd only be pulling your legs and be way off mark! ;D

Great stuff guys, amazing what a few tweaks can do to a track. You've taken different routes but the end results are both super cool. My have a look at this myself but only as part of my recording/mixing learning curve, I've not the confidence to post my results here, let alone enter the competition.

Cheers

Toby
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 05:50:40 pm »
Digger/Scoot

I could say that one was comfortably strange and the other just trash but I'd only be pulling your legs and be way off mark! ;D

Great stuff guys, amazing what a few tweaks can do to a track. You've taken different routes but the end results are both super cool. My have a look at this myself but only as part of my recording/mixing learning curve, I've not the confidence to post my results here, let alone enter the competition.

Cheers

Toby

Thanks Toby. Give it a shot!

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 96
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 06:25:22 pm »
Hi Scooter,

I think you've added a fair bit of body to the track.
I like the added reverb space. Perhaps that's a way to go - strip the track right down and do an atmospheric version.

Give it a whirl, Toby - and make sure you post it. The stems are realy easy to use - I'm sure it will sound great.

Digger

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 06:43:18 pm »
Hi Scooter,

I think you've added a fair bit of body to the track.
I like the added reverb space. Perhaps that's a way to go - strip the track right down and do an atmospheric version.

I really love the rearranged version that you did. I'm no good at arrangements - and I could tell when I listened to your mix the first time that I wasn't going to be willing to put that much effort into it LOL. When I listened to the stems I kinda got an idea of what I wanted to to with it, and just went that direction..  I don't know about you, but I found myself wishing that I had the individual mono unprocessed instruments instead of mixed/processed stereo group stems? Especially for the drums.. I think most of the instruments were tracked really well - especially the vocal.. The analog distortion on it was nice..  When I listened to the official mix it sounded like near the end of the song they were REALLY slamming the input of something hard.

I mixed the song in one sitting, and got lazy about automation and a couple other things that I wanted to work on. I may go back and work on it a bit more later.. I sent the piano track to my friend to see if he'd be interested in replacing it.

I loved the song. They're great musicians..

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 96
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 07:23:53 pm »
Hi Scooter,

I would have liked all the individual tracks too. There were things I would have liked to have tried, but couldn't - and I'm not good enough to play the stuff myself.

A piano driven version would be cool - maybe using your more reverb heavy effect on the vocal? I originally started my version with the piano part as a lead in, but changed to a rockier version. Made me think of The Cult whilst putting it together.

Looking forward to hearing other folk's ideas.

Digger

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 07:45:26 pm »
Hi Scooter,

I would have liked all the individual tracks too. There were things I would have liked to have tried, but couldn't - and I'm not good enough to play the stuff myself.

A piano driven version would be cool - maybe using your more reverb heavy effect on the vocal? I originally started my version with the piano part as a lead in, but changed to a rockier version. Made me think of The Cult whilst putting it together.

Looking forward to hearing other folk's ideas.

Digger

I considered using the piano for an intro too.. I've listened to a couple of rearranged versions on YouTube. People are very creative. I wish I had that creative ability. I can't believe how much you were able to change the song, and make it work. It's pretty awesome :) The only creative things I was able to come up with were the flanged vocal, some delay and a reverse reverb effect. You were able to completely change the song..

My friend agreed to re-do the piano track using his awesome virtual instrument pianos. Someone told me that the drums in my mix don't sound as good as they usually do. I agree. Because the drum stem was a stereo group that had some other stuff on it, I was kind of limited - but I've decided to work on the drum track more using some virtual drums for a bit more control. I've finished the kick and snare and I think it helped a lot. I also EQ'd and mixed in more of the BG vocal track.. Now I'm working on automating the guitar.  I don't think I'll have a chance of competing with the other mixes so I probably won't enter my mix, but I'm really enjoying having a great song to work on :)

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 08:32:28 am »
Hi Scooter,

I like your remix, its warm and makes the song a lot more powerful to my ears. It definitely deserves to be entered in the competition.

Keith

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 08:38:10 am »
Hi Scooter,

I like your remix, its warm and makes the song a lot more powerful to my ears. It definitely deserves to be entered in the competition.

Keith

Thanks Dave :)

I think I've improved the kick and snare and a couple other things here. Still want to do a couple small tweaks and hear what my friend's piano part sounds like and then if I like it after mastering I might change my mind about entering it...

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 09:14:31 am »
Thanks Dave :)

I think I've improved the kick and snare and a couple other things here. Still want to do a couple small tweaks and hear what my friend's piano part sounds like and then if I like it after mastering I might change my mind about entering it...

My name is Keith, and I am funky.....

I think you should definitely enter

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 09:30:51 am »
My name is Keith, and I am funky....

LOL.. OK - I'll try to remember that (I'm terrible with names)   :-\

Get The Forum As A Mobile App