Author Topic: TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE  (Read 10104 times)

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
Re: TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2018, 11:28:16 pm »
David

I’ve probably not got the ear to give a great description of all my electrics but the Washburn’s fall into the warm mellow vibe of 50 and 60 Blues and Jazz. And as ES335 clones, guess you need to look to Chuck Berry, BB King and T Bone Walker. Both the HB30 & 32 produce similar sound and play like butter. One of these will get a future upgrade to maybe P90s for a Townsend/Santana sound. Both are 24.75” shortscale, so “easier” to play than the Strats. Less string tension.
The Roadhouse Deluxe Strat gives that typical clear, crisp Strat sound but the onboard pre-amp, when in use takes you from super clean single coil Strat sound to a raunchy P90 vibe. So very flexible. Despite my comment on the Washburn’s this is a joy to play and I’m just about getting there “bend wise” but think it will be a challenge if I drop it from 9s to 10s. Normally my go to !!
The Afiinity hybrid mongrel, if you read the project info back in this thread, you’ll see it gives me a super hot HSH set up with the Iron  Gear PUPs I installed. The HB give a medium to mega growl and the double coil central ”single” coil gives an aggressive “clean” sound. But as all three dual coil PUPS can be split I can alternate between clean/crystal/clear and raunchy/loud/good nasty. As my first guitar I always come back to play this old dog but more so since it got pimped.

What can I say about the Les Paul Studio ? Well I just look to the many of my icons who’ve plucked these SOBs and hope I can play a tenth of there tonality. Slash, Page, Marley, Gibbons, Tom Scholz, Gary Richrath, Joe Perry etc. There sound says it all. Just hope I can get some where near that in the future.
As for a second Gibson ? Interesting thought but I’d guess I’d go for the Gibson Byrdland ala Ted Nugent. I think that’s what clicked when I saw the HB30 (despite it being double cut).  Would love to get my hands on something like that but the price range is way out there
https://www.thomann.de/fr/gibson_byrdland_vsb_2.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA9qHhBRB2EiwA7poaeMg3gzTaV9XL7P4V0tIw-2GIW-XY2a4IpGI3FoJDyUXM_n-uwWE_zRoCVg4QAvD_BwE
There is now way I could convince my missus I needed one of these and she was into Ted back in the day. But for now my GAS has been fed and watered and has settled down. No doubt to rise again soon.

Cheers

Toby
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 233
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2018, 08:12:18 am »
Thanks for sharing some more details, Toby. 

I'd forgotten about the upgrade project on the old Affinity Strat.  I did silently follow the project. And makes lots of sense when you talk about a future PUP swap for one of the Washburn's.

I imagine in time when it is safe and appropriate and GAS pressure begins to build then a Tele style would add additional tones into the palette you have.

As for me ... perhaps one day I will play well enough, have developed in recording and arranging to the point where I can make meaningful use of guitars with different PUPs and construction to have a richer range of possible tones ... for now, an EPI LP with coil-split on the HBs is more than enough :)

Have a good one and look forward to hearing some of these guitars soon  ;)

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2018, 08:31:50 am »
Thanks for sharing some more details, Toby. 

I'd forgotten about the upgrade project on the old Affinity Strat.  I did silently follow the project. And makes lots of sense when you talk about a future PUP swap for one of the Washburn's.

I imagine in time when it is safe and appropriate and GAS pressure begins to build then a Tele style would add additional tones into the palette you have.

As for me ... perhaps one day I will play well enough, have developed in recording and arranging to the point where I can make meaningful use of guitars with different PUPs and construction to have a richer range of possible tones ... for now, an EPI LP with coil-split on the HBs is more than enough :)

Have a good one and look forward to hearing some of these guitars soon  ;)

Thanks David, Happy New Year for tomorrow  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 233
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2018, 10:21:01 am »
Thanks David, Happy New Year for tomorrow  8)

You too, Toby

Get The Forum As A Mobile App