Author Topic: Joerfes Roadcase  (Read 11908 times)

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
Joerfes Roadcase
« on: October 14, 2015, 10:00:58 pm »
Wall of text warning, but I wanted to give some additional information....

I started learning to play the guitar in february 2013. In fact I have been meaning to learn for the last 30 odd years, ever since I was exposed to the completely wrong teachers when I was 13. A time in life where you need to be motivated to learn and not exposed to reading notes… At least that did not work for me so I was discouraged for many years ahead.

Fast forward about 10 years where I found myself in the company of quite a lot of musicians as I shared an apartment with a drummer who played in 3 or 4 coverbands. I went to most of their shows and many a night we partied in our apartment afterwards, oh the times we had! It never really occurred to me that I should try and learn again, I guess my previous attempts had scared me off.

A few years later it was all about family and career, so no time for music. I toured the world in the shape of a ProductManager with the world as office. Exciting at times, but most times it was not. I needed to re-focus and that need came with our daughters arrival.

I decided to change completely and educated myself as an Medical Massage Therapist, you know, your shoulder hurts you go see me etc. When starting up a business like that you find that you have quite some time on your hands between customers (which has changed a lot!), so one day I suddenly thought: Hey, maybe I  can learn to play the guitar via the internet! What a fabulous idea, so I stumbled across Justins course and have been at it ever since.

I started out with my older sisters beginner nylon strung Cimar, a sub-brand of Ibanez and a crappy guitar it was. 3 months in I bought a second hand Cort Earth 100 acoustic and what a difference that made! The change from the nylon strings and the laminate to the Cort was indeed very noticeable and the difference in playability…. Man!

But with a new family it is hard to find time to play in the evening. Playing the acoustic in a small house is not a good idea when a child (or anyone) is supposed to sleep so I decided to get myself an electric to practice the changes and the fingerings. I found myself a Yamaha 121erg used for little money, but only to discover you really need sound.

I tried a iRig for a while but soon discovered that I might just as well get an amp. I fell over the Mustang II ver.2 because of all the good things you hear about it and the fact that as a new player it is difficult to know which amp to buy.

With the Mustang I have loads of amps and stomp boxes to choose from so the board you see in the picture should more or less take care of my needs. A tuner and a looper and the two-way footswitch for the amp and I am good to go.

I now mostly use the Orange Amp simulation both for rhythm and lead and as you can see from the picture I try to be as minimalistic about effects as possible. My main setup in the amp is a channel for rhythm which is the Orange with a little gain and a channel for lead which is the exact same but with a clean boost in front. I then regulate with the volume and tone knobs on the guitar.

Fender Mustang II ver. 2, Boss TU-3 looper and TC Electronics Polytune

Suddenly I could hear what a bad guitar the Yamaha was! I thought of changing the pickups but in the meantime I had been trying out guitars in a guitarshop to figure out the difference in guitars in general….. Big mistake! I fell in love with the Gibson Les Paul jr. 2014 (picture).

Gibson lpj '14

I liked the width of the lp’s fingerboard and soon it was obvious to me that the acoustic Cort would hold me back, at least psychologically. I love playing fingerstyle and for that a wider fingerboard suited me better…. Say no more, I searched high and low in the second hand market but there are very little guitars available that was interesting to me.

I went to the musicstores once again with the idea to find the ideal acoustic guitar. I tried out many in my pricerange and finally in a newly opened shop I tried the Sigma SOMR-28H (picture), bought it and love it to bits! It is by far my go-to guitar and the sound and playability is a perfect match to me!

Sigma SOMR-28H

Starting a band
Late this summer of 2015 I decided to challenge myself and find people to play with so I made some requests via facebook in different groups, and l was happy when a bass player responded. We have been meeting since September and now we have contact with a percussionist and a guitarist who we will meet later this month, and we (hopefully) have a band! I am new on the guitar and they have had breaks up to 20 years on their instruments so I guess it all adds up somehow and we can meet at equal levels more or less.
My only concern is if my current amp, the Mustang II is powerful enough (40 Watts) when we are cooking, but that will show soon enough. Luckily the drummer is a percussionist so my hope is that he can vary his sound level on the drum set.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 02:40:52 pm by LievenDV »
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline de_conne

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
Re: Joerfes Roadcase
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 01:10:37 pm »
Nice Gear you have there.

My gear is more or less the same. I don't have the ditto tuner, use a jamman looper and have the Mustang III as you probably know ;)

Nice to hear your story Joerfe. I enjoyed reading it.

regards,
de_conne
BC started Jan 2014, currently playing in a band.
www.lastchance.be
Guitars: Yamaha Pacifica 112,Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plutop Pro,Seagull Coastline Cedar Folk
Amp: Fender Mustang III v2
https://soundcloud.com/de_conne

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 152
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 02:41:52 pm »
great story, thanks for sharing!
(If you wonderd what the "edited by LievenDV means; I added some whitespaces to make the content more pleasant to read :) )
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 10:51:28 pm »
Thanks Lieven, also for the edits.
De_conne, yeah, it seams we are following the same path.

\m/ rock on \m/
end Jesper
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 10:57:39 pm »
In this week I decided to get going on the Blues Lead Course. This was partly inspired by a thread by de_conne, thanks man. But also the fact that it is needed in the new band and I really love playing solos and I enjoy listening to fills and lead in songs.
Until now I focussed a lot on rythm as I think that is the most important in playing songs, a strong base. But with a second guitarist in the band I can indulge.
So diving into Justins licks one by one and getting those scales up to speed.

\m/ rock on \m/
end Jesper
/Jesper

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 06:52:03 pm »
From time to time I have a vacant hour or so at the clinic and I always end up thinking that I should have an acoustic there.

I found this Street ova-5 which is a Chinese copy of an Ovation. It was dirt cheap because it had been damaged during transport. The guy I bought it from had bought it from the reseller, repaired it and sold it to me. He made a little cash, I got a guitar 30% cheaper and it has even been setup and plays very smoothly.
It even has a piezo pickup so it'll work out fine in the band and the destinct Ovation like tone will make it stand out.
I'm liking it blue color, ornamentation and all. It's very "Country".

\m/ rock on \m/
end Jesper
/Jesper

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 09:32:29 pm »
Nice looking guitar. Congrats.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 11:12:50 pm »

Nice looking guitar. Congrats.

Thanks, Boro. Compared to the Sigma it is not even remotely close tonewise (or by looks) but that's not relevant for what I'll be using it for. I really like that it is so different from what I already have.

Now, get off that interweb and play the darn geetar!
/Jesper

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 11:20:28 am »
Guitar/music relevant birthday presents today:
A Laney active monitor to hear myself singing over that pretty loud drummer ;):

And a microphone stand, much needed as I usually borrow from the bassplayers daughter!
/Jesper

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 152
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 12:56:33 pm »
congratulations and very useful gear :) e decent monitor will help you to sing a lot better as you won't go pushing your voice too hard.
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 02:58:19 pm »
Thx Lieven. Yeah, it's pretty hard without a monitor. I usually borrow a small Roland 10watt "singing amp" or whatever you'd call it but it just doesn't do it for me.
This one is most likely overkill being 65 watts RMS but it's gonna keep me happy for a long time.
/Jesper

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 170
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 04:56:33 pm »
Happy birthday great gifts.
Every mic stand needs a cup/bottle holder. Keeps your water/beer off the stage so it doesn't
get knocked over.
Maybe you'll get one for Christmas

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 07:35:00 pm »
That's a great idea, Stitch! I haven't seen those before but I have seen a lot of spilled beer on stages!
/Jesper

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 08:26:12 pm »
Happy Birthday Joerfe!

That's some nice looking gear there.

That LPJ is awesome. I didn't know they made them with two pickups. Aside from the slightly different neck profile and the humbuckers, that and my studio are basically the same guitar.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 06:08:45 am »
Thanks Bradt.
The lpj is not the same as a junior which has only one pu.
I think the lpj is meant as a stripped Studio and I love that basic look without bindings and what have you.
/Jesper

Get The Forum As A Mobile App