Author Topic: JPG-003 • How To Play What You Hear In Your Head  (Read 8844 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 151
    • justinguitar.com
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline KasperFauerby

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 102
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
Re: JPG-003 • How To Play What You Hear In Your Head
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 09:41:04 am »
Good stuff!

I have to admit you're poking a sore spot - I guess I am a bit guilty of often practising my fingers and seeking new scales and techniques. Will start singing more in the car from now on ;)

On a more serious note - I have actually also been doing "play what you hear" exercises before... and they are great fun and very beneficial!

I usually start out by playing the melody lines for a bunch of kids songs. Sometimes on one string, sometimes in a certain part of the neck.
But it's also fun to just turn on the radio and challenge yourself like this: before a song is over you should be able to play the basic chord progression (in the beginning one can do this pretty easily with just power chords) and/or melody lines. Time can really fly when doing this exercise. Highly recommended!

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 11:54:47 am »
But it's also fun to just turn on the radio and challenge yourself like this: before a song is over you should be able to play the basic chord progression (in the beginning one can do this pretty easily with just power chords) and/or melody lines. Time can really fly when doing this exercise. Highly recommended!

I should do this more but I always find myself playing and refining the same songs over and over again and if time permits I incorporate new techniques. I think I should schedule to do this maybe not every day but at least a couple of times per week.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 05:31:29 pm »
Excellent cast.  I look forward to more.

I like your idea on doing a lesson series on this.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline bodensmate

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 07:11:05 am »
#3 was of my all time favorite podcasts - saved on the phone for repeated listening.  ;D

One question: when Justin talks about playing the songs we hear in our heads, beginning with Happy Birthday, does he mean the melody or the chords as well? Being able to recognize and play chords by ear ... seems fairly advanced.   ???

Offline Andrea

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 04:48:40 pm »
I'm still listening but isn't what Justin describing- those guys who can just play straight without any effort - perfect pitch. Its rare but people who can play by ear just have perfect pitch.

The rest of us have to labour and learn.

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 155
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 06:31:12 pm »
but isn't what Justin describing- those guys who can just play straight without any effort - perfect pitch

No it isn't. Playing by ear and recognizing chord phases or melodies comes with practice.
Perfect pitch is when you can recognizing notes by name and what octave or frequency they
are played in.
I played in a band with a guy who had as close to perfect pitch as I've ever seen and he was impossible
to play with. He was always tuning his guitar and complaining every one was out of tune. This lasted
for a couple of month and we booted him from the band. Everything was great after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Cb1qwCUvI

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 06:59:45 pm »
Perfect pitch = naming the note with no reference, no instrument in your hand.  Sitting in the bath tub, drinking a beer, hearing a note and able to say"that's  F#".

Relative pitch (good relative pitch) = hearing a note and being able to find it quickly on your guitar.  That usually starts by grabbing a note that you think is 'close' to the note you are looking for and once you have done so and have that 'close note' as a reference, being able to know where to go from there to get the note you are looking for.

The better your relative pitch gets the more it approaches the illusion of perfect pitch.

Shadow

Offline Andrea

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 05:34:10 am »
Stitch, yes i have heard it was so problematic that it could just be labelled as a medical/psychiatric condition. That is to say, its more of a problem than a blessing.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 06:35:09 am »
I'm still listening but isn't what Justin describing- those guys who can just play straight without any effort - perfect pitch. Its rare but people who can play by ear just have perfect pitch.

The rest of us have to labour and learn.

Perfect pitch is described above. It is a different skill to being able to simply stay in tune when accompanying yourself, or hearing a notes and finding it on the guitar. No one needs perfect pitch to do this.

Accompanying yourself is often a lot easier than trying to hear a song and replicate it on guitar. For that, you need to know the fretboard well. If you do, chances are your ear for correct notes will be good, as you will have spent a lot of time learning the fretboard.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 01:05:50 pm »
Good relative pitch in action:

https://youtu.be/_oSCDsyp1i4

Shadow

Offline burninluv

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 10:54:29 pm »
i just cant get this at all...suppose i just need to keep practicing it

Offline isiah7

• Good Vibes 0
    • gmail sign up
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 04:43:00 am »
Excellent cast. Look forward to more.

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
  • Not quitting, not now, not ever....
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 08:00:06 am »
Yep, heard this one too. Tried happy birthday with just notes, no chords. That took some time, but i got it in the end.
When i hear something in my head, and that occurs several times a day, i try to remember even try to write it down, wich is not easy. How do i write notes going up and down when i don't know what they are? So, i try to remember and when i get home, i grab my guitar and fumble around.  Sometimes this works, other times i've already forgotten the sequence, but by just noodling around, i sometimes come up with some nice sounding sequences. (to be forgotten when i wake up the next day. I should be writing them down).

I'll get it in the end. Just don't give up, that's the key....

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 09:34:17 am »
You could try singing them into a recording app on your phone.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App