Author Topic: Mac software/app for defining complex chords  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Mellow22

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Mac software/app for defining complex chords
« on: September 25, 2015, 06:27:33 pm »
Does anyone know of a good Mac app or software that could show fingering and different voicing options for more obscure/complex chords?

On a related topic, I've been coming across strange slash chords in tablature of different songs. Is there a good website or other source for uncommon slash chords?

Doing these things manually can take a LOT of time for each chord. I hope someone out there has ideas. I've tried the Chord! App for iPad and it's too limited. Thank you everybody :)

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 174
Re: Mac software/app for defining complex chords
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 06:38:15 pm »
This web site covers all your needs. Run through the menu at the top there's a lot info on this site

http://jguitar.com/chordname

Offline Mellow22

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 08:29:33 pm »
Thank you very much, but I don't need a chord namer. If I come across a chord like Dadd9sus4- I understand the chord theory- but I'd just like to put in the name of the chord and automatically get the different voicings and fingering and choose the one that is right for me. Same for slash chords, there are some really strange ones out there.

A chord like Dadd9sus4 can have a lot of different voicings that differ in quality but software can sort them out by factors such as "first four frets only",etc. and you can make a decision on which voicing of the chord works best for fingering and sounds best . I just don't want to spend a lot of time using chord theory for every unknown chord I come across.

I've seen Mac software and apps that do what I've described but some don't work as well as others and they are sometimes pricey and I'd like to come up with a good candidate before buying. Thank you.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 174
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 08:59:08 pm »
Look through the site. I didn't find Dadd9sus4 but I did find D9sus4
if you know the theory it wouldn't take long to figure it out.

With 14 different voicings.

Offline Mellow22

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 09:13:33 pm »
Thank you for your input. I have over 40 chords that I need to get fingering and voicings for. As you've noted- there can be a lot of voicings and I don't want to spend all my time doing chord theory. I gave Dadd9sus4 just as an example. Yes, it is on Justin's video for Tears in Heaven and I know the chord- just an example. Thank you. :)

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 174
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 10:38:04 pm »
If you have over 40 chords you want different voicings for I recommend that you 
learn the CAGED System.
This will give you at least 5 different voicings for every chord you know just by learning the system.
Depending on how fast you learn and how advance you are as a player could take as little as a
week. 

I don't want to spend all my time doing chord theory.
You don't have to. Once you know a chord it is easy to transpose it to another voicing or another chord
using the CAGED System.

Offline Mellow22

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 11:33:47 pm »
Totally unhelpful. I know the CAGED system- it is not the answer for everything. IF you really know CAGED, you would know how many holes are in it. If one thinks CAGED is the end all, be all, of chord theory, they have a ways to go. This was meant as a pleasant thread and I don't appreciate your barb that I don't know CAGED theory.

It is not for you to judge me - I asked a simple question about apps and software- go wrestle and kill your dinner with a stick and then roast it over a fire- no weapons, appliances or electricity can be used- I'll be playing my guitar while you do that.

END OF THREAD-

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 01:35:02 am »
Wow somebody is touchy.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 08:43:03 pm »

Wow somebody is touchy.

Contrary to the username......

Now, get off that interweb and play the darn geetar!
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline tardigrade

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Mac software/app for defining complex chords
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 03:29:28 pm »
I use ultimate-guitar's "chords" app on the iPhone.  It does exactly what you're asking for, showing any chord in positions all around the neck.  (It had Dadd9 but the sus you have to add yourself -- that's pretty basic though).

It also had all chords on dozens of alternate turnings like open D or G.   They seem to have every conceivable tuning there.  So it's effectively a library of thousands of chords.

Easy to find on the App Store.  I use it every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App