Author Topic: Help me regulate my GAS please!  (Read 3097 times)

Offline akazero

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
Help me regulate my GAS please!
« on: September 20, 2015, 05:39:45 pm »
Hey guys!
So i'm experiencing a violent GAS wave at the moment. I need to get an acoustic guitar.
and i need you guys to help me find which.

A tiny bit of context:
I've been playing 8 yrs. Mostly electric. Since a few months, playing the electric doesn't appeal to me as much as it used to... (no idea why) but i find myself wanting to play the acoustic more and more.

I don't have an acoustic at home at the moment (i just moved) , so i tend to play less and less.

I own two classical guitars and i love playing those.
BUT, since what i really am into is old blues / rock n roll etc, i wanna get a parlor sized acoustic.

Since i am used to classical guitars, folk/acoustics often seems rough to me whereas playing a classical feels like butter (hope im making sense here) but anyway, i'm getting a parlor! i'll get used to it.

At first i had my mind set on this one : http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/acoustic_guitars/sigma/000m-15

i played it and loved it in one shop.
Retried it in another shop and hated it.

Right now, what i really wanna get is this : http://www.thomann.de/gb/gretsch_g9500_jim_dandy_flat_top.htm

you might say that for someone who as an 8yrs guitar playing xperience, getting an entry level guitar is stupid and i partly agree.
But, i dunno why i feel like this guitar is the one i should get. the user's reviews on various websites are VERY positive. might just be the bargain of the year.

SO, does any of you guys have info about the jim dandy? or any other kind of advice? i basically know nothing about those folk guitars, please help me choose.

Thanks!

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
Re: Help me regulate my GAS please!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 06:14:01 pm »
Well I would go try a big baby taylor.  Economical, smallish body, full scale, great sound, easy to play.

Which wasn't the question you asked, I know.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline akazero

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 06:29:51 pm »
hey scott, thanks, i'll check it out!

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 06:38:55 pm »
Wait... I did that wrong...  ("Help me regulate my GAS please!")

No Aka, bad Aka, bad!  No new guitar for you. 

You'll ruin your dinner!

If all your friends bought new guitars would you?

Keep doing that and you'll go blind.

This is your brain, this is your brain on guitars.

Just say no!

Mamma's don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys, don't let them pick guitars and driv.....

So - did that regulate your GAS?  I thought not.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline akazero

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 09:56:09 pm »
hahahah nice one dude!  ;D
No it didn't! but i'm pretty sure the condition is beyond treatment...

BTW the baby taylor is probably a good guitar but it looks way to dreadnouty for me and i think parlors are sexy...

Yup, i'm really big on aesthetics...
I'm just afraid the gretsch ends up being just a crappy guitar and i basically dunno what to get.
Nothing that i tried in a shop has rocked my world yet...  :'(

I'm going to the shop tomorow, i'll let you know if i find a gem

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 05:17:28 am »
I'm a bit confused. You've been playing 8 years, yet reviews factor in your guitar buying decisions than your own experience?

By this stage its all about your personal preferences, and you should have an ear and a feel for the 'right' guitar.

I bought the Sigma and it's been great. If another store had one that you didn't like, then buy the first one.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 153
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 08:41:52 am »
oh that Gretsch was already on my wantlist..no extra GAS induced here :)

"entry" guitar. no problem. You can't deny that Gretsch parlor is sylish and sexy.
did you already play it? I never ran into a lefty before so I can't tell ^^

If you're an electric player, you might miss a cutaway (I didn't) and most of all; an output jack. I'm really glad I can amp mine and use effects like reverb and delay on my pedalboard. Notice how the body is a lot thinner than your usual acoustic guitar. Guitars with a preamp are usually a bit more expensive. I think parlors aren't the best guitars for gigging but thay seem so nice for songwriting and capturing small, intimate recordingsessions. Most of all you see yourself playing it but have you imagined how you want to use it as a tool?

You can't get rid of that GAS though. After years, my pedal GAS finally settled down but it took me a while. guitars are more expensive but the price of that Gretsch is worth trying in my opinion :)
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline akazero

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 11:00:47 pm »
Hey guys! thx for the advices.

So, i went to the guitar shop and tried 4 guitars in the 350/450 € pricerange :
- Sigma 00015 or something like that
- Art & lutherie "ami"
- An ibanez parlor
- A Washburn parlor

Too me, none of them was really what i was looking for soundwise. i can't explain properly, the closest thing to my feelings i can come up with is "not loud enough" (my point of comparison is my beat up, 100€, 8yo, yamaha classical guitar)

Ok, the art & lutherie was better than the others but not worth the almost 500 bucks.

So, i decided to order online the cheap gretsch. (it's done) i can still return it and, if it's not great but just "ok", for 150€, i won't mind keeping it.

I will let you guys know how this guitar plays with a little video.

@lievenDV : what acoustic guitar do you own?
@Drubbing : can't buy the first sigma cos it got sold since then. And yes, even tho i've been playing a long time, internet reviews still matter to me because 1, you can't possibly get ur hands on every single guitar on your wishlist and 2, because, even though "noobs" post reviews without knowing what they are talking about, pros do it to and their advice is worth it. if An item gets a vast majority of bad/great reviews, it means something on average. With a lot of reviews, the clever ones and the unclever ones cancel out each other, giving you a reliable average. the "wisdom of the crowds".

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 153
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 11:52:07 am »
I own a Fender Hellcat; it was €350 and for it's price it has already served me very well.

http://www.leftyguitars.be/nl/akoestische-gitaren/fender-tim-armstrong-hellcat-lh/

I wanted a less typical look for an acoustic, a preamp was mandatory but a cutaway wasn't. Don't miss the cutaway much though. It's sound is "direct" and not the warmest (no deep warm bass sounds) but I like how "articulate" it is. Amped, I turn off the midle a bit and add a tiny bit off bass and some reverb. works equally well for fingerpicking and strumming
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Zman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 09:10:07 am »
I'd love to get the Seagull Maritime SWS Folk HG...

Oh... GAS... so good... so BAD!

Offline suzidownunder

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 11:47:22 am »
The Seagull is a beautiful guitar. I have one too.  Godin make them in Canada from maple and the sound is beautiful!

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Offline guitar65riff

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 12:20:46 pm »
Hi.. I don't think you'll regret the Gretsch. I have a Jim Dandy and find it hard to put down. I've been playing more years than i care to remember and Gretsch guitars never disappoint.

Offline Rodrigo

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 3
  • Stuff
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 09:23:41 pm »
Well I would go try a big baby taylor.  Economical, smallish body, full scale, great sound, easy to play.

Which wasn't the question you asked, I know.

Shadow

THAT... I've been itching to get my hands on one of those... Lovely little guitar.

Sorry for hijacking your post.

Offline adibranch

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 10:54:09 am »
hahahah nice one dude!  ;D
No it didn't! but i'm pretty sure the condition is beyond treatment...

BTW the baby taylor is probably a good guitar but it looks way to dreadnouty for me and i think parlors are sexy...

I'm a relative newbie, but most parlours sound thin to me. I recently went out looking for a grand or folk size, and ended up with a seagull mini jumbo.. it just sounded far better than the smaller bodied ones.

Have you tried a 15/16th like the big baby or the below? They really don't feel big at all, more like a grand concert size. I tried this the other day.. loved it.

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/martin-dreadnought-junior-625673

EDIT: just realised you bought already.. shame you didn't get to try that big baby or a junior dread though.. they might have surprised you.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App