Author Topic: Plectrum thickness  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Johan217

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 26
Plectrum thickness
« on: September 18, 2015, 10:36:00 pm »
I found that it can make a difference...

Up to now I have always used .73mm plectrums (which is "medium" I believe) without really giving it much thought. But lately I have been working on my technique a lot - playing scale patterns etc - and noticed that I have problems getting my notes to sound even. Every now and then, especially when moving to another string, notes will sound louder than the others. Out of curiosity I changed to a thinner plectrum (.60 mm)... and now the problem is gone  :) I suppose because the thinner plectrum's flexibility is more forgiving and filters out small inaccuracies.

Now I know that veteran players will often recommend thicker plectrums because it allows more control, but while you are working your way up, it may be worth checking out different plectrums and see what works for you. In my case, thinner was better.
Guitars: Chevy LP-C (1991), Squier VM Jaguar (2015)
Amp: Fender Mustang I v2 (2015)

Offline Navo7

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Plectrum thickness
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 07:37:52 pm »
Normally I would prefer thicker plectrums for lead guitar playing, especially when playing faster stuff. Thinner plectrums tend to bend every time you hit the string and takes that fraction of a second longer to get back to normal shape thus slowing you down. Still it is good to experiment for yourself and see what works for you as I have seen a lot of guitar players playing well with thin plectrums.

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 08:09:58 pm »
My suggestion is always to buy a few new picks every time you go to the guitar shop. I tend to use .73mm Dunlop Tortex or Nylon, but I'll use various other picks if I'm looking for a certain tone.

As for thick vs. thin picks, I saw a video of Paul Gilbert talking about picks and he apparently uses .60mm Tortex. It clearly hasn't slowed him down, and goes to show that it's all about technique and personal preference.

Offline Bytron08

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 03:47:06 pm »
I use .46 its just perfect for acoustic rhythm, and soloing for me.

Offline MetallicAnut

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 02:22:33 am »
My all time favorite pick are the ultex jazz 3 xl's. Amber see-through color.  1.38 mm's

Get The Forum As A Mobile App