Author Topic: What are your thoughts on Masterbilts by Epiphone?  (Read 1893 times)

Offline LastedRexKing

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
What are your thoughts on Masterbilts by Epiphone?
« on: September 07, 2015, 07:24:03 am »
I think it's time for me to invest in a better guitar. I have three acoustics, a mid-70's Yamaha which has such high action it's nigh on impossible to play, a Guvnor, less said about that the better, but the one I use most, and enjoy playing most is my Epiphone Pro-1. It's lovely to play - especially for a beginner like me, but the sound is a bit tinny. I suppose that's to be expected on an all laminate guitar though. I knew when i bought it that it would be a short term guitar, which would end up being used as something I would take camping etc.

So, time to move up. I think spending loads on a Gibson or a Martin would be a waste on someone like me. I play purely for pleasure, and I'll never play in front of other people. The Masterbilts are all wood, get great reviews, and the models I've tried in the shop sound and play lovely. Does anyone own one? If so, what are they like long term? Is there anything I should be aware of?

thanks for reading!

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
Re: What are your thoughts on Masterbilts by Epiphone?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 08:12:50 am »
Rex, I do not know the Masterbuilds, but I did notice that you mentioned that your Yamaha has a very high action. Why not take that one to the local shop and have it adjusted properly? - It will return as a very different guitar and you might end up loving to play it.
- When that being said...... It is hard to fight the cravings for a new guitar  8)
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline LastedRexKing

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 09:28:12 am »
Morning! Yeah, that's one my list of things to do  :) It's going for a full service, probably next weekend.

But, the desire for a new guitar that I've bought from new is HUGE! :)

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 01:52:37 pm »
Ok, I get it.  ;D . No further explanations are needed. Do remember to post pictures when you brought it home!
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 07:05:31 pm »
Do nothing until you have the Yamaha set up.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline Fweezal

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 07:42:57 pm »
If you're going to play for pleasure, why not play for PLEASURE?  I never gig (except once or twice at the prison I minister in).  But, my Martin sure does make it a PLEASURE to play.  My Gretsch is a fine instrument, as is my Fender.  But, my Martin... aaaaaaaaaahhhhh.  I got it used on Reverb.com and it was every bit as affordable as a Masterbilt.  There wasn't a mark on it and it included HSC & free shipping.  The DRS2 has a solid wood body with a Stratabond neck - something I never thought I'd like until I found out how solid and stable it was (looks pretty cool, too).  Sound?  Oooooooooooo mama!  Not a D-45, but not the COST of one either.  Do yourself a favor and try a DRS2. 
<><~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gary
Fender PM1 All mahogany ~ Fender PM1 Natural

Hebrews 13:3    ~~    i-am-n

Offline Hagstrummer

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 04:05:36 am »
  I'm a little late to the discussion but i'd like to add and ask a few things. I've kept a notebook on different strings I've tried (brand,size ,material) and through trial & error improved the sound of inexpensive acoustics. You might find Phosphor Bronze or a different pick help(experiment). That might lesson the tinniness.
  I researched the internet and Youtube and everything said about the Masterbilt was impressive so I bought a blem through the net at a good price. Aesthetically It's all i could want but the sound is a little underwhelming. It seems stiff with not enough resonance. It's the first cut out i ever played so I wonder if that's just a characteristic of them. I've played it a year hoping it would break in. The smell of the horse hide glue has finally faded but it still is not sounding like I had hoped for. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 04:56:40 am »
Also late and OP hasn't even returned. But - all-laminate has absolutely nothing to do with your current guitar being tinny. It's probably more due to the fact it's a sub $200 guitar.

Good quality laminate guitars abound, and all wood is not necessarily superior, or fuller sounding.

I bought a Sigma 00015, and side by side with the all wood Martin it is a copy of, there was no discernible difference in how they sound. The Martin looks a bit nicer, probably better made too, but it's also 4 times the price. It doesn't sound 4 times better.

Offline Hagstrummer

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 01:31:07 am »
I wanted to follow up on my last comments if you'll indulge me. After looking closer at my saddle I realized someone had swapped out the bone for plastic. After considering attempting it myself I opted to go to a local luthier and he set it up with bone. I had bought one and then decided compensating it would have been over my head. I had to shell out more than i hoped but It's made a marked (not dramatic) improvement.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App