Author Topic: Very Interesting Here!  (Read 4675 times)

Ingeborga

Very Interesting Here!
« on: January 31, 2007, 01:12:14 am »
Hello world! I'm from Latvia, I now have a computer and Internet! It's so interesting here! But on some forums I see strange posts, they offer to buy some pills or something and they look very stupid. It is robots posting? I thought moderators should delete such posts. Maybe somebody will explain me what's going on? But at all it is very interesting to speak to all you people!
Kisses! :)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
    • justinguitar.com
Very Interesting Here!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 04:22:37 pm »
yes it robots.

and I spend about 10 mins every day deleting the xx--xx things  :evil:

nice to meet you, I know a few Latvians, very beautiful people.

have fun here

Justin
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Harpmaker

Very Interesting Here!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 02:43:52 am »
Hi Justin!

Just a note to tell you that I moderate several boards myself and I recently received the exact same post as above (not meaning your reply or course :)).

Since it doesn't contain any links I don't know how it's supposed to work, but it IS a SPAM post. Even the username was the same.

Andy

Very Interesting Here!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 07:25:26 pm »
The link is the users web site. If you go though all the user accounts you can pick which ones are bots because they have sus websites.

I've been thinking. A possible solution to this is to make this a closed forum, meaning you have to approve all sign ups. And have it noted some where in the sign up that the user should email you to have their account activated. Downside is some new users might be put off by this. I don't know.

Harpmaker

Very Interesting Here!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 08:12:15 pm »
Quote from: "Andy"
The link is the users web site. If you go though all the user accounts you can pick which ones are bots because they have sus websites.

Yeah, the page linked to is a search engine called LookupLive.com that has already looked up "mangosteen". I don't know how the spammer benefits from sending people there.

More and more spam is of this nature, representing their link as a personal web site, or sometimes through ICQ (don't know how that works either). I'm sure they get fewer hits off their posts, but they are less likely to get trashed by a moderator.

I've been thinking. A possible solution to this is to make this a closed forum, meaning you have to approve all sign ups. And have it noted some where in the sign up that the user should email you to have their account activated. Downside is some new users might be put off by this. I don't know.

Having a closed forum would stop the spam, but many people are put off by having to be "accepted" into the forum. It also is more work for the forum administrator.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
    • justinguitar.com
Very Interesting Here!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 09:54:50 pm »
it's a hard one all this...

i just heard about the sign up thing, and may enforce it, but you are right, it means more hassle for new people.

the spam bots have been a little less of late, a few months ago it was really bad - up to 20 a day!!

i have heard about other plug ins for the phpbb but they seem very complex and i don't know how to edit code very well so that may not be an option...

any further ideas appreciated...

thanks dudes
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Get The Forum As A Mobile App