Author Topic: Affordable Condenser Mic  (Read 8591 times)

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 41
    • Official Website
Re: Affordable Condenser Mic
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2015, 08:24:40 pm »
Good advice.

I'm mostly thinking in terms of doing an EP.... I don't know if my home quality would be good enough to put on a CD.
Frontwoman of folk-rock band Lighting Matches
www.LightingMatches.weebly.com
www.Facebook.com/LightingMatchesMusic

Debut solo EP "Destination Sunday" (Rachel White)

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2015, 01:27:09 am »
Instead of spending several hundred dollars on a mic and then hoping you can record/mix/master your stuff well enough to put on a CD, why not put that money towards recording the EP in a studio? They will have nicer gear, far deeper knowledge, and (hopefully) a lot of experience in doing exactly what you are trying to do.

It's definitely possible to make great tracks at home on a budget, but it comes down to knowing how to make the most of your gear and environment. This is why, unless you really want to spend a ton of time learning the ins and outs of music recording/production, I believe it would be better to book a studio to record material you intend to release.

Also, you need to look at the future since you intend to pursue a career as a singer-songwriter and performer. Let's say you record an EP, get some more gigs and eventually get signed to a label. At that point the label should be paying for you to record an album in a studio. If you get to that point, do you really need to be able to record CD-quality tracks from home?

That being said, if you are interested in the recording process and want to spend your time doing that then by all means go the route of the rest of us, building up a budget home studio and trying to hone your craft. But I still believe you should focus your time on becoming a better songwriter and performer, since that is what you need to be successful.

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 41
    • Official Website
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2015, 03:12:56 pm »
At that point the label should be paying for you to record an album in a studio. If you get to that point, do you really need to be able to record CD-quality tracks from home?

That's a good point, as well. 

I just need to find some more paid gigs, I guess.

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2015, 11:37:19 pm »
Have you tried finding a part-time or full-time job? Working in a music shop would be a good option, but any job would allow you to save some money that you could put towards better gear and recording an EP at a studio.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 151
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2015, 11:14:00 am »
Just to throw something extra in... I think the pre-amp is a bigger sound changer than the mic!

I remember reading that Jagger used a SM57 on vocals, but mine never sounded that great... until I got a Neve 1073, and then everything sounded good through it.

I had to sell a kidney to get my 1073's - but the first step up I took on the pre-amp ladder was an UA LA-610 - and I still had my Rode mic then and that made a HUGE difference!!

So I do recommend getting a good pre before spunking loads of mula on expensive mics. A great pre makes an average mic sound awesome - much the same as a great guitar amp makes an averegae guitar sound great. Plug a great guitar into a sht amp and it sound terrible! Same idea.

my 10c.
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2015, 12:58:21 pm »
JUstin, get a Rode NT-1A and have it modified by Michael Joly and have it sound like a U87 at less than half the price!

http://www.oktavamodshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=145

You're throwing in a lot more cents, by the way. :P
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2015, 05:20:19 pm »
JUstin, get a Rode NT-1A and have it modified by Michael Joly and have it sound like a U87 at less than half the price!

http://www.oktavamodshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=145

You're throwing in a lot more cents, by the way. :P

Sorry.. I'm not buyin' it. Changing the capsule of a mic can change the frequency response, but it's not gonna make a condenser mic sound like a tube mic. The beauty of tubes is their harmonic distortion. (which is also why the analog pre-amps and compressors that Justin mentioned make such a difference.) That modification is a marketing gimmick IMO.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2015, 02:55:24 am »
Yeah, he apparently has some nice mods but the one time I saw that same type thing presented was.

OK, here's X - the real deal
Here's my mod kinda like X
Listen to them blind, which one sounds good.

they both sound good and different ---- ok, so buy mine, it's cheaper.

I mean if someone could make X, which they can, it will have a certain price out of necessity. It's not like there is a lot of magic involved unless you are winding new transformers and using new tubes and rolling your own capsules. ... and if you are doing those things why are you giving it away with someone elses name on it.

But this whole deal of I'm making a duck sound like a dog.... I get the make a duck sound like a different duck.

I don;t know why today that people need to continue to make comparisons... I mean unless you simply copy the circuit, which many do.... why not just say you have made a good sounding mic retro-fitted in a readily available donor. Why try to pretend it sounds like some historic microphone when all of them sound different anyway.

Gone

Offline 12-string_Doug

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2015, 12:46:02 am »

My Sister, (the vocal on the recording)  isn't a professional vocalist and had no prior experience with recording.
  Wow. One of the best versions of "Angel from Montgomery" I've heard.  8)

I think it was in a post on another forum that somebody said they had seen Bonnie Raitt backstage at one of her concerts, and asked why she didn't do the song that night. He said her answer was that she was "tired of that song." Huh; who'da thunk it?

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2015, 05:24:52 pm »
  Wow. One of the best versions of "Angel from Montgomery" I've heard.  8)

I think it was in a post on another forum that somebody said they had seen Bonnie Raitt backstage at one of her concerts, and asked why she didn't do the song that night. He said her answer was that she was "tired of that song." Huh; who'da thunk it?

We had a young guy on the crew of a production company that I used to freelance for. Bonnie Raitt kept flirting with him to embarrass him. She has a great sense of humor... I bought my Sister a Susan Tedeschi CD ages ago. She really liked it and sang many of the songs on the CD  very well. I'm wanting to do more recording with my Sister, but she lives three hours away and is busy working and raising a family. I think she could have made a career out of singing if she had chosen that path... The recording isn't perfect, but I was trying to show that you can get decent results without a lot of expensive equipment. Like others have mentioned; I think it would suit Rachel to continue improving her vocal techniques and song-writing skills. Find an affordable mic that suits her voice, and learn tracking techniques. A good tube mic and analog pre-amp can cost a lot of money and can make a significant difference, but the cost really not justifiable for most of us. There are some great plugins that can help get ya somewhat "close to the sound of an analog recording chain - and if you're able to track the song cleanly there's also the option of sending the tracks out to have them mixed and mastered in a professional studio that has Pultecs, 1176s, etc.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Online diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 35
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2016, 10:27:57 pm »
Hi Rachel,

I just came across this recently.

I started recording my vocals through a child's microphone plugged into my guitar amp which was plugged into my computer. It let me hear my voice and I could record songs rather than instrumentals. Whilst 90% was out of tune it encouraged me to buy a cheap mixing desk and an SM57 dynamic microphone. I wanted a condenser mic and I bought the cheapest good quality one I could find. Which is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-C-1-BEHRINGER/dp/B000CZ0RLK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459372748&sr=8-1&keywords=behringer+condenser+mic

It let me play around with a proper condenser mic and the sound quality of my singing improved immensely. Pity my pitch did improve as fast, but that's something else.

I've used it for years and only now am I considering upgrading it.

Depending on what you want to achieve its a fairly cheap option which allows you to use a condenser mic which will improve your home recordings.

Keith

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2016, 12:09:39 am »
I believe both the B-1 and the C-1 are very popular options. Good call.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 41
    • Official Website
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2016, 02:41:17 am »
Hey thanks, Keith!  I'll have to make a note to look into that one.  $50 is definitely doable for me. :)  (Plus a stand and such for it, of course, but still.)

Offline Shaolindelt

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2016, 02:57:12 am »
Just realized I have a condenser mic already - Blue Snowball.  Can't think I spent too much on it ... Maybe I did ... It was for work originally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BC 2/15, IC - 3/16
Fender Squier Std Strat
Fender Mustang Ii v2

Offline 12-string_Doug

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2016, 06:05:04 pm »
  It seems a lot of people use various Blue Microphones models (Snowball, Yeti, etc.). Just about every microphone accessory sold on Amazon has questions about whether the item will work with a Yeti or other Blue mic. I don't know how many of those users are doing home music recording.
  The Snowball was rated 4.5/5 stars in 2,504 Amazon reviews, but hasn't been reviewed by many Guitar Center or Musician's Friend customers. (None at MF.) The Yeti and Yeti Pro had a few reviews at both retailers, mostly positive I think. Blue has their own USB-XLR adapter, called the Icicle ('magine that), and a shock-mount for the Yeti and Yeti Pro. I think the mics have a ⅜" ("Euro") mounting connector, so they might need an adapter for US mic stands.

I just spent some time down an Internet "rabbit hole," reading stuff about mic "pads," low-cut controls, and more. I have so much more to learn about condenser mics.  :o

Get The Forum As A Mobile App