Author Topic: Hey bass players! i need advice!  (Read 2414 times)

Offline akazero

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 24
Hey bass players! i need advice!
« on: August 27, 2015, 07:34:56 pm »
hey guys!

I'm a guitar player and i got my sister a bass for her birthday so i wanna teach her the basics. i think i can manage with the left hand but i got a question concerning the right hand technique...

i'm talking about the most basic technique, u know, when middle finger and index alternately play a string and the thumb is resting on either the e string or the pickup.

1/ is learning that technique mandatory for any bass player or are there other ways?
2/ do the index and middle finger HAVE to play alternately or is it not that important?

Thank you guys!

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
Re: Hey bass players! i need advice!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 12:48:33 am »
I'm not much of a bass player, but I have learned a bit of the basics. Many great bass players use a pick, and many more use their fingers. Just like with guitar, there is no 'right' way.

There's a variation of 'economy' picking (plucking) for bass that doesn't use strict alternate picking, but there is a clear approach to the technique and I don't recommend just doing whatever. It's called raking, and it's only when you're descending strings. Going up you still alternate pick.

Check out this guy for some good bass lessons:

http://www.scottsbasslessons.com

Here's a video discussing right hand technique:

http://www.scottsbasslessons.com/technique/right-hand-technique-bass.html

Offline akazero

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 24
Re: Hey bass players! i need advice!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 01:33:40 pm »
ok, thank you mike, as i expected, i think the best thing is to learn the proper technique at first, i'll try to teach her that : )

Get The Forum As A Mobile App