Author Topic: Barre Chords (E shape) [Intermediate Tutorials]  (Read 940 times)

Offline guitar_ninja

• Good Vibes 0
Barre Chords (E shape) [Intermediate Tutorials]
« on: August 13, 2015, 01:53:40 pm »
Hi there,

This is my first post (following thank you post).

I am facing an issue, I'm sure other have had to go through, so hopefully, you may have the answer to my current challenge.

I am practicing the E shape barre chord for over 2 weeks now, going down from 1st fret to 8th fret, trying to get the sound right (clean) 8 out of 8 times at least for both Minor and Major shapes (strumming then picking each chord one by one to check for any culprit :-)). While I manage to get the sound right 7/8, when it is incorrect, it is often because of the D string; I have tried couple of things including: pressing in the middle for the index finger, using a 45 degree angle (rolling index slightly), using flat index (seems to work to correct the issue at times), moving the index up (towards the E string) so that the middle of my index rests on the D chord.

Any suggestion would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks again,

Pat 

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 86
Re: Barre Chords (E shape) [Intermediate Tutorials]
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 03:45:25 pm »
Hello Pat and welcome to the forum.
It seems that you are well on your way with the E shaped barre chord and it is a difficult one to master as you have already found out.
I would not worry too much at this point after only two weeks, others (myself included) have spend looooooong time getting that particular chord to ring clearly. Keep at it and find songs that inkludes the shape.

\m/ rock on \m/
end Jesper
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 06:08:35 pm »
Seven out of eight isn't bad for two weeks.

Suggestions:

Try not to get frustrated.

Don't fixate on it to the exclusion of moving forward.

Do use it as much as you can.  Not just sitting and doing exercises with the chord which is valuable but it gets to the point of diminishing returns.  Take songs you know that use open chords and replace one or more of them with the bar chord grip.  In fact mix and match the other bar chord shapes as you start to learn them.

One of the more interesting aspects or learning the guitar for me was the fact that I would get a chord shape down "okay" but not really happy with it, but I would move on and learn other shapes and grips.  But I would be using these "only okay" chords and would futz with them a bit in the songs I was learning, while still learning more chord grips....

And then... almost like magic... just by using them... I started to notice that at some point I was't having to fiddle with the E shape chords anymore.  I had long since stopped specifically practicin it, I no longer set aside "E shape chord" practice time.  But I was using it all the time in songs and it just kind of happened.

Of course you do need to spend the time up fronr, like you are, so your fingers just automatically go to the right place.  And some focus on playing clean is needed but don't fall into the get it perfect before moving on trap.  Get it to some level of okayness, and then let your practice become using it.

Shadow

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline guitar_ninja

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 10:53:08 pm »
Thank yo uso much. This is sooo encouraging. I have been practicing the shape  with Creep (Radiohead), and it has been much fun. So, I will keep working on this.

Thanks again,

Pat

Hello Pat and welcome to the forum.
It seems that you are well on your way with the E shaped barre chord and it is a difficult one to master as you have already found out.
I would not worry too much at this point after only two weeks, others (myself included) have spend looooooong time getting that particular chord to ring clearly. Keep at it and find songs that inkludes the shape.

\m/ rock on \m/
end Jesper

Offline guitar_ninja

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 10:55:26 pm »
Thanks for your reply. THis is very reassuring.

The "mix amd match" suggestions, sounds great, and I will experiment with it shortly.

Thanks again, this really helps.

Pat

Seven out of eight isn't bad for two weeks.

Suggestions:

Try not to get frustrated.

Don't fixate on it to the exclusion of moving forward.

Do use it as much as you can.  Not just sitting and doing exercises with the chord which is valuable but it gets to the point of diminishing returns.  Take songs you know that use open chords and replace one or more of them with the bar chord grip.  In fact mix and match the other bar chord shapes as you start to learn them.

One of the more interesting aspects or learning the guitar for me was the fact that I would get a chord shape down "okay" but not really happy with it, but I would move on and learn other shapes and grips.  But I would be using these "only okay" chords and would futz with them a bit in the songs I was learning, while still learning more chord grips....

And then... almost like magic... just by using them... I started to notice that at some point I was't having to fiddle with the E shape chords anymore.  I had long since stopped specifically practicin it, I no longer set aside "E shape chord" practice time.  But I was using it all the time in songs and it just kind of happened.

Of course you do need to spend the time up fronr, like you are, so your fingers just automatically go to the right place.  And some focus on playing clean is needed but don't fall into the get it perfect before moving on trap.  Get it to some level of okayness, and then let your practice become using it.

Shadow

Get The Forum As A Mobile App