Author Topic: Windows 10 upgrade experiences?  (Read 2907 times)

Offline BartNL

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
Windows 10 upgrade experiences?
« on: August 10, 2015, 11:22:17 am »
Did any of you upgrade to Windows 10 from either 8.1 or 7? If so, did you have any issues with recording hardware or software? I have a working setup with Windows 7 running a Tascam audio interface with Cubase, Amplitube, Guitar Rig and a handful of other plugins. Most of the software has precarious installation procedures (licenses), and I want to avoid installing it all again. If I would know for sure that after the automatic upgrade to Win10 this would all work, I would certainly take the plunge. But without any knowledge about people who did this successfully, I am hesitating...
1991 Ibanez AM-50, 2008 Am. DL Strat, Airline Twin tone, Cubase, computer-amped by Amplitube

Offline de_conne

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
Re: Windows 10 upgrade experiences?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 12:16:54 pm »
I'm already running Win10 on my Surface (tablet). I can't really say that everything went smoothless, on the other hand, I've heard from colleagues, that even their mother could do the Windows 10 upgrade... I know some apps don't work anymore, plugin for foscam IPCams, don't work on Edge (IE is dead, it's Edge now...), had some issues with my mail/calendar accounts...

If you want no hassle I would not recommend the update, for now. At home I'm still running Win 8.1, since I'm not really conviced that the update won't affect any of the installed components for my wife's work, like eID-reader, VPN connections, citrix plugins ...

I know I had lots of trouble when I switched to Windows 8. I'm gonna wait a bit. In the mean time I'll get used to Win10 on my tablet.

On the other hand, I really like how Win10 looks and feels, it's really great on my tablet. Love it!

regards,
de_conne
BC started Jan 2014, currently playing in a band.
www.lastchance.be
Guitars: Yamaha Pacifica 112,Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plutop Pro,Seagull Coastline Cedar Folk
Amp: Fender Mustang III v2
https://soundcloud.com/de_conne

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 02:39:34 pm »
You need to go to all the web sites of the companies that you use and see what they say. Many are telling people to hold off.

I upgraded a laptop from 8.1 to 10 and the upgrade went fine. I have not tried and audio stuff yet and the one thing I had connected got destroyed in a storm and I haven't replaced it yet.

I too like the 'feel' of 10 better so far.... but really all I have done is install it. I disabled a lot, almost all, the 'sharing' stuff. I did find like say I had Pale Moon Browser... well when I said make that my default, I couldn't simply click yes..... I got a message that said ok, go to X,Y,Z and change settings... and unlike some other windows stuff, the instructions actually worked.

I think Native Instruments said to hold off as I believe did ProTools. Some guys on REAPER site say they have no probs.
Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 170
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 03:19:59 pm »
If you choose to upgrade and keep all your files, all compatible software will be kept from the previous install, licenses and all; my Anydvd HD was ported right over without any issues, already updated it's database and build file, no problems whatsoever there, same as my software for my Axe-FXII.
If you've got the 'get windows 10' icon in your taskbar, you can run an upgrade advisor from there and see what will work and what won't.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

(If you need me for something, PM ME FOR FSM'S SAKE ! I'm not around a lot, and I do NOT have thread notifications on!)

Offline BartNL

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 04:15:35 pm »
Thanks for those comments, very useful.

Here is the result of a quick scan of the most important software for me:

Steinberg reports serious issues with all their Cubase versions and their hardware interfaces, and recommends against an upgrade at this time.

Native Instruments (as reported above) advise against an upgrade, but not based on any specific information.

Spectrasonics (Trilian), Tascam (hardware interface) and IK Multimedia (Amplitube) do not report anything.

My notebook is now upgrading (as it has no music software, only business stuff, the risk is affordable  ;)). I will keep the desktop at win7 for a while, because of the Steinberg issue.
1991 Ibanez AM-50, 2008 Am. DL Strat, Airline Twin tone, Cubase, computer-amped by Amplitube

Offline irishalkies

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 01:02:08 am »
Not updated to Windows 10 myself but one thing to bear in mind is that you always have the option of reverting back to your previous Windows for a month after installation. That should give you plenty time to check any compatibility issues.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 152
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 10:56:48 am »
I haven't heard any "revert" stories yet. I wasn't awar it was possible.
For what the OP is posting; material enough for me to wait with an update.
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 02:05:03 pm »
I'm running Win 7 on my desktop and I've decided I'm not even going to bother going to 10. My system runs just fine and I don't think any new features in 10 are going to add much to my day-to-day usage.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 06:34:53 pm »
I'm on the fence about Windows 10 also.

I got the notification and got on the waiting list. The update is now available to me. Bit I have Windows 7 Professional, and am wondering if the update will update me to the Windows 10 home edition, or to the professional edition. I ran the compatibility check, and it shows that everything is good, but I suspect that I may run into application or driver issues. I'm also not real happy about the Windows 10 data collection. It can apparently be disabled, but the steps to disable it are buried and require several steps.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/windows-10-doesnt-offer-much-privacy-by-default-heres-how-to-fix-it/

I think I'm going to wait at least a few months before I do the update.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline irishalkies

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 08:39:06 pm »
I haven't heard any "revert" stories yet. I wasn't awar it was possible.
For what the OP is posting; material enough for me to wait with an update.

Lieven...

My brother updated his laptop to Windows 10, then took it back to 8.1 after about a week when he found some of his stuff stopped working. It didn't take long either. Less than an hour.

More info here on how to do it. Easy.

http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/

I'm also not real happy about the Windows 10 data collection. It can apparently be disabled, but the steps to disable it are buried and require several steps.

Scooter..

I upgraded my sisters laptop to Windows 10 (she's happy with it). All the options for the data collection were right there in the installation. I think I left one ticked and switched the rest off.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 09:19:22 pm »
REAPER 5 is available for download

From the page......

"REAPER supports Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10."

http://www.reaper.fm/download.php

Gone

Offline dhalbert

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 12:22:13 am »
I have Windows 7 Professional, and am wondering if the update will update me to the Windows 10 home edition, or to the professional edition.

This chart says you will be upgrade to Windows 10 Pro:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications#upgrade

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 01:03:41 am »
This chart says you will be upgrade to Windows 10 Pro:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications#upgrade

Thank you so much dhalbert! That's great to know! :)
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline BartNL

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 10:20:56 pm »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App