Author Topic: whats the best construction for an acoustic  (Read 2098 times)

Offline SG Benny

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
whats the best construction for an acoustic
« on: August 07, 2015, 02:27:11 am »
hi, ive thinking of upgrading my acoustic guitar. i have a cheap £200 one at the moment, but i mainly play electric so im gonna stick to a budget of £500 or less...

ive got my eyes on the yamaha apx700ii at the moment. looks stunning, and i tried the apx500iii in a shop and loved it. the difference is that theres a solid top on the 700ii...

which poses this question... is there a difference between having solid back and sides, or having laminated back and sides?

i was asking the guitar shop what guitars are similar in my price range and im kinda thinking to myself, do i really need an all solid wood guitar? i know my best bet is to try one out and ill know its right when i play it but wanna know what you all think? still saving up. i love the apx700ii so any reccomended ones have to be that shape and size, under £500 and look stunning :D it has to look nice with the single cutaway too....

thanks in advance...

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
Re: whats the best construction for an acoustic
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 04:19:55 am »
Buy the guitar you like in your budget. Unless you can hear a difference that you prefer in all solid then it's not worth it. There's a huge amount of gear snobbery in solid wood. Laminate used to = cheap and nasty. Not any more.

Taylor, Martin and Maton and many others all make their entry level products with laminate B&S. Many will argue the top is thing that matters anyway.

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 12:45:36 am »
You will definitely want a solid top. The back and sides will have some influence on the sound, but it likely won't be as pronounced as a laminate vs. solid top guitar.

Definitely go and play both to hear the differences for yourself, but don't let the specs, materials or price fool your brain into believing that there is a huge difference when there may not be much difference at all.

Offline Rockin2Slowly

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 01:30:43 am »
Buy the guitar you like in your budget. Unless you can hear a difference that you prefer in all solid then it's not worth it. There's a huge amount of gear snobbery in solid wood. Laminate used to = cheap and nasty. Not any more.

Taylor, Martin and Maton and many others all make their entry level products with laminate B&S. Many will argue the top is thing that matters anyway.

I've got a few other hobbies.  One thing I learned is to buy what interests me.  If you don't, there is a very good chance you won't be as happy, and will still have a desire for the other item.  Best to buy what you like the most right from the get go.  You will be much happier and financially better off in the long run.

I made an impulse buy on my first acoustic guitar.  It is a highly rated model in its price range, but since then I have done the proper research, and regret giving in to that impulse because now I am either 1) stuck with that guitar for awhile, or 2) will have to come up with enough cash to buy the desired guitar, and then go through the hassle of selling this one.

Had I done the proper research, I wouldn't be looking to upgrade my current acoustic.

Offline SG Benny

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 09:01:30 pm »
yea thanks guys... decided to go for it :)

i guess if it sounds right then it is right... cheers for the input though :D

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 12:05:33 am »
As long as it sounds and feels right to you, it's a good purchase. Congrats!

Offline SG Benny

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 11:33:02 pm »
yea, got it and love it... not been on forum in ages though, thanks for the input :D i prefer electric so acousitc doesnt have to be too nice but love my apx700... even the tuner tunes to flats and sharps so i dont need the capo to tune to E flat standard... like most acoustic songs i play require :D

Get The Forum As A Mobile App