Author Topic: Bluetooth Lyric Sharing at Campfire  (Read 1058 times)

Offline wldrns1

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Bluetooth Lyric Sharing at Campfire
« on: July 28, 2015, 11:11:26 am »
With many having a variety of devices, what do I need to do this subject? App? How would this work? What, if anything, are others doing for intimate setting sing-alongs? Ideally, I can have lyrics on my Nexus 7 with other downloading the file or however it would work. I have no clue. Finding that people want to sing along but wish they knew all the words. Lots of humming and bobbing until you get to the chorus.

Just need to be pointed in the right direction. I'll take it from there.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
Re: Bluetooth Lyric Sharing at Campfire
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 12:59:47 pm »
It is a great idea and I see the problem. People know the chorus (or think they do  :o)
Did you consider putting the lyrics on a website or a blog? This way people could just access the lyrics that way.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 01:29:18 pm »
Not sure, but if you post them on a web site, can all get to them? What if you have spotty reception out where your camping?

I would think a blue tooth sharing deal would work. Then too one could prepare by using good old fashioned paper. Since it sounds like you have the file with lyrics in it, why not just print off 5- 10 copies and hand them out? 2 folks could even share, thus reducing how many copies you print.

Take care,
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline wldrns1

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 02:20:39 pm »
Yes, did these methods in the old days. Web is out due to probable reception issues. Everyone download prior too formal or 'prepare-ish'. Handing out paper suggests to some too much control.

Someone told just share your files via Bluetooth, then none of these issues. Didn't say how and out of touch. Figured someone here has been there, done and does that.

Since most have devices with Bluetooth (and usually have with them), would be a kick utilizing tech for doing this. If possible, pretty slick too!

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 02:35:23 pm »
There are a few ways you could approach this although I'm not aware of solution that's been built specifically for this. As Joerfe has said you want people to be able to "browse" somewhere to be able to get to the lyrics.

I people have internet access then I would upload the lyrics as word documents or PDFs to shared public folder in Dropbox and then send everyone the URL (or write it down for them) they'd then be able to browse to that folder and open the lyrics.

If people don't have internet access it becomes trickier. You might be able to use something like the HooToo Tripmate which is effectively DLNA server designed really to provide you with a very portable movie/music server that you can plug a flash drive into. If you loaded the lyrics in doc or pdf form then they could "connect" to the tripmate via wifi and access the drive.

In all honesty there are probably a lot of ways of doing this but not as far as I'm aware a specific solution designed exactly for this purpose.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 120
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 02:50:31 pm »
In all honesty, the technical challenges to do make this work are significant.

I would print out lyics on paper. They're far easier to read and it's much better than having people squinting at phones, struggling with screen timeouts, and low batteries.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 05:15:46 pm »
You could do it with bluetooth pretty easily. Getting the hardware to do it would be easy enough, but not sure about the software on the phone side for accessing it. I've only ever used them for remote control/sensing.

If I were doing it, and wanted something accessible via phone, I would set up a wifi hotspot. There are loads of options for this, and even some phones can do it.

Another option, if you are technically inclined, would be to use an ESP8266 ESP-01 module. It would require some setup and coding on your part, but can act as an access point, host/serve the web pages with lyrics, and be run off a couple of double A batteries for several hours. The module is around the size of a guitar pick, so very portable. They're also about $3 each on ebay ($7 on amazon)

you could probably also do it with a raspberry pi or similar, but your battery consumption will be greater.

It sounds like a fun project. Whatever you do, keep us posted.

Offline wldrns1

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 05:27:58 pm »
I agree, it would be fun. Gonna try http://www.wikihow.com/Send-Files-to-a-Cell/Mobile-Phone-Using-Bluetooth-Technology at home. Just lyric pdf's is all that's intended.

Much I don't know about but should be a fairly quick study. either a go or no-go. The Hotspot thing is interesting. Green here on that/next stop after Bluetooth.

Kinda surprised this isn't a Topic already...it is now.

One song everyone +40 knows by heart is 'Lovin Touchin Squeezin'...especially the ending. Fun & Loud!

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 09:10:58 pm »
You could always buy (or use, if you own one) a USB battery pack/portable charger/powersource, a cheap tp-link MR3020 router and build a librarybox/piratebox, host the files on there, and everyone can grab them when they connect to it via WiFi.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

Get The Forum As A Mobile App