Author Topic: BL-201 • 12 Bar Blues in 12 Keys  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
BL-201 • 12 Bar Blues in 12 Keys
« on: July 06, 2015, 07:18:00 pm »

Offline Constantin

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: BL-201 • 12 Bar Blues in 12 Keys
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 12:01:33 pm »
Hi all,

I have a problem with playing the rythm blues 12 bar progression and thought I put it here to see if there are some tips and advice anyone can give me, maybe some of you experienced this also.

The way this progression should be played implies a bit of finger stretching and even Justin says it can be kinda difficult when playing closer to the nut of the guitar. For me it seems hard wherever I play it on the neck, and not so much from the streching of the fingers, but from the pain I feel in my wrist. I noticed that because I have to use and strech the little finger on the 6th and 5th strings, my hand is really bent (if I don't bend it it's hard to reach the strings with the fingers, almost impossible to reach them with the little finger).

So the bending at the wrist causes pain and I can't play more than 12 bars because of it. I have to stop and take a break. I don't think this is normal, but I can's see how I should reach the strings and strech the fingers if I don't bend the wrist.

Maybe if I tilt the neck of the guitar, would this help? Or simply it is a case o practice, practice, practice until my hand muscles get used to it?

I'm sorry if my details were not clear, I hope you understand what I meant to say.

Any advice would be highly appreaciated!

Thanks a lot,
C.

Offline guitar_ninja

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 07:43:16 pm »
Hey C

Hope this answers arrives in time.

I'm finding this lesson challenging, essentially because of the finger stretching it requires; I'm still working at it. and yes, the left wrist hurts at times. I am making progress, slowly though; I found the following exercises may help:
- Move fingers in position 1,2,4 (key of C) for 1 minute (1 to 2 to 4 then back to 2), and count; I keep track on the numbers and try to improve it; I find that it helps with moving fast between position 1,2 and 4.
- Use your middle finger instead of your ring finger (I know its not the way its supposed to be played - based on the video - but it seems to work for me)

Hope this helps,

- Pat

Offline willferral

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 01:53:51 am »
How does one do the chord changes smoothly on this? I just slide on the and [ or let if counting 1 trip let] on the same string but unsure how to do it when switching strings as it's quite tricky to get the changes down in time.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App