Author Topic: Anyone want to mix a song for me?  (Read 39994 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
Re: Anyone want to mix a song for me?
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2015, 04:41:32 pm »
I was asked to mix the song, so that's what I did.

I liked the vocal and if we were all in your rehearsal room in Norway I'd have asked Hollywood to play a straight 8 rhythm guitar with lots of space in the verses and straight 8s in the chorus.

My point was that this is no different from you being in a rehearsal room in Norway as to what you might ask Hollywood to do. If you would ask for it there, you can ask for it here, regardless of what you have been asked to do.

If she were in a studio there would be musicians hired to play the parts so again it's no different.

Here, I'll ask her so everyone will know....
Hollywood... what is your required role in this song. I understand you are the singer/song writer. Are you also required to be the musician to meet your required goals. If you were in a studio the role of instrument playing might likely fall to another person such as session musician or producer.... but you have some specific goals for this particular song beyond simply trying to make a record so to speak.. So is it necessary that you play the guitar or can others play guitar? Are you open to playing other parts as requested?

Again,,, generally what would happen is that you be singer/song writer and musicians perform, alter, whatever until you like the song... then perhaps, you learn to play a new guitar part or alter your current part so you can perform it live.

So just what are you open to....
So far Lyrics are a do not touch, the modern Nashville sound is what you want, but are you willing to have others play guitars or have you play requested parts?

You have asked to have a "song mixed" but you really don't have a complete mixable song. In many regards you have asked/allowed to have a song produced/tracked/ then mixed within some reasonable framework. Obviously you don't want things turned to EDM or Death Metal but are you open to replacing your guitars with others or adding different tracks provided it retains the spirit and feel of your song?

Vocals - don't touch
Nashville sound - yes
Musicians ( especially guitar ) -- must be you or can be anyone?
Your guitar - open to playing new tracks or use only what you provided?

The bottom line is you have written a song. Now you need to produce a record and have it mixed. However you have some specific needs/requirements for this song such as specific lyrics...

You need to let people know what they can and can't do. It makes no difference either way but could drastically alter what type 'record' they are able to produce for you. In fact if you read that Taylor Swift  page I linked, the first thing her producer does is play all her guitar parts for her to sing to. She plays the demo and he transcribes it ( this is where you provided the chart since not everyone can transcribe ).. then he goes in and plays the guitar parts.... I think he said he plays the drums too... the point being, she's not playing, musicians are..... she's singing.... after it's all said and done, she learns a part she can play on stage.

This is kinda different than a band in a studio although a lot of that same thing goes on even with a band. There are lots of uncredited musicians on records.

The record is intended to get the very best 'permanent record' of your song.

Gone

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 43
    • Official Website
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2015, 06:43:34 pm »
TB:

"Modern Nashville sound."  That's a good way of putting it, actually.

Okay.

The lyrics are pretty much set in stone.

Yes, I want the modern Nashville sound.

I am open to adding other instruments/melody lines/etc.

Whether or not I keep whatever is added will obviously depend on how it sounds and if it feels right for the song, but if anyone has ideas on something to add or change, I'm definitely open to hearing it.

Am I open to having other people do the music parts?  .... I'm not sure.  I *am* open to it, but I'd honestly kind of prefer if it's me (unless it's something I simply can't play/don't play well/don't have instruments to play it). 
Frontwoman of alt-rock band Lighting Matches - debut album "Against The Flame"
www.LightingMatchesMusic.com
www.Facebook.com/LightingMatchesMusic

Debut solo EP "Destination Sunday" (Rachel White)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2015, 07:40:50 pm »
Ok, that makes perfect sense.

So short of Vince Gill and Richie Sambora walking in and saying they want to play all the guitar parts you are willing to have others play alternate parts and if you are able you will then track that same part yourself to include in the final mix ( guitars ).

BG Vocals - maybe others would want to sing BG Vocals... you too could add BG Vocals but unlikely you would be able to sing like other people. So if you liked the vocals you keep them, maybe adds your too, maybe not, but even if the vocals sounded good and you didn't like or want them, that's your choice.

But obviously if you don't like something it's a no go. The idea is not to create things you don't like, it's to create things you do like... So you really want to be the singer / songwriter / featured musician but are willing to forgo the featured musician aspect as long as it best serves the song.... but everyone should at least consider you want to be in there playing and if that means you re-playing some takes you will gladly do so.

So now if Diadem wanted to ask you to make him a couple different guitar tracks you can easily do so and he can add them to his mix.

Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2015, 08:59:57 pm »
Your intro looks to be written incorrectly. Other sections too....

Intro:
|G / / / |C / / / |G / / / |D / / / |
|G / / / |C / / / |G / D / |G / / / |

Also if you want to add a part. At the very end when you finish singing the music continues... I think it would sound nice if you sang "woooooo ooooooh oooooooh" through that section... You know just sing that along to the melody... I can't write it but you get the idea.

If you do, please name the track Vocal Outro - Rachel

Gone

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2015, 09:03:25 pm »
Here we go, mix is done, will record some stuff tonight and tomorrow.
https://soundcloud.com/ezyo-pourchez/rachel-good-kind-of-criminal/s-gllXt
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:56:46 pm by Cue Zephyr »
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2015, 11:18:23 pm »
El linko no esta aqui
Gone

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2015, 11:57:25 pm »
Seems like the SoundCloud embed thingy doesn't understand private links. I edited my post. ;)
Production and mixing

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2015, 12:46:55 am »
No telling what this is going to sound like. I did it on headphones, then it sounded horrible on speakers, went back and changed some stuff, forgot about Marcus strings so added them. Still needs the rhythm section added... actually it needs a lot more than that but anyway....  I need to get to soldering on my bass and hook some speakers up to this mixer.

https://soundcloud.com/tb-av/basemix1
Gone

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
Production and mixing

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 43
    • Official Website
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2015, 01:28:37 am »
So short of Vince Gill and Richie Sambora walking in and saying they want to play all the guitar parts you are willing to have others play alternate parts and if you are able you will then track that same part yourself to include in the final mix ( guitars ).

Haha yes, pretty much!

Cue - sounds pretty cool!  There's a few spots in the first verse where the vocal is a little weird, though.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2015, 01:40:51 am »
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 03:57:35 am by TB-AV »
Gone

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2015, 01:55:14 am »
TB - Yes, that works (it needs that little random tag at the end). Sounds pretty cool, man.

HW - Cheers. The vocals sounding weird is the autotune plugin acting up. :P
Production and mixing

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2015, 01:57:16 am »
Rachel ... I think you should re-sing this part.

"Everytime I think about you, I feel like I could fly... I can't get you off my mind"

It sounds like ...

Every time I think about chew I feel like I could fly (gasp) I can't get you off of my mind.

Try to enunciate better "I think about you"  that will also cut down sibilance.

Also after the word fly it seems like you are rushed...

Try singing it in one good strong breath... like...

After... this part.. I think about you... now in one good long smooth breath sing...

"I feel like I could fly and I can't get you off of my mind."   One good strong clean smooth phrase.

Same with "get you" and "about you"  not "get chew" and "about chew"

Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 219
    • My Road Case
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2015, 06:54:52 pm »
Is it me, or is there an extra half bar somewhere around the end of the first chorus (bar 41-45).

I stuck a 4/4 click track on and the solo following the first chorus and the subsequent verse then seem to start a half bar later than the previous solo/verse.

Or am I going mad?

Of course I'm assuming 4/4 here, and it could just as easily be 2/4.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 43
    • Official Website
« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2015, 08:05:27 pm »
I wrote & played it intuitively -  I didn't write it out and get technical with it or anything.  But I did record it to a click track.  And one thing I noticed is that the track went *1* 2 3 4 *1* 2 3 4 (emphasis on the 1) for the first half.  Then midway through the song it changed to something like 1 2 *3* 4 1 2 *3* 4, and then after the bridge and solo went back to *1* 2 3 4.  So whatever the extra beat is, it evens itself back out. 

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2015, 09:15:20 pm »
LOL,,, yeah,,, that's one way to look at it.....

Your chorus is....
D A E A | D A E A |D A D E| and then at bar 45 you play A which is the big ending to your chorus but you only held it for 2 beats. ... I think it will sound better if that A is held... you start playing your guitar melody with a ghost note just about 2 and the main first melody note on 3.

I tried playing bass to it earlier and kept getting lost... so I've been sitting here mapping the whole thing out in Reaper... I'm at that spot right now. Your chorus there is 12.5 bars long. It should be 13.

That might also be why we are taking sections from the song and finding them to be different timings.

This is exactly why I told you you need to make clear charts for people.
It helps you realize what could be a counting error and fix it AND if needs to stay that way, it alerts everyone to a stumbling block.

So right now you have a bar of 2/4 in the middle of a 4/4 song.

FIX:
REAPER. SNAP ON
Bar45 - palce cursor, right click, "insert tempo/time sig marker" , check box that says 'start new measure, tim sig and change from 4/4 to 2/4. Click OK.
now place cursor at bar 46 ( the end of that 2 beat measure for A ), right click,  same as above, click box and change time sig back to 4/4, click OK...

Haven't checked but I think everyhting lines back up on the 1 after that... that's as far as I have gotten.
Gone

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2015, 09:38:50 pm »
I tripped over that pothole as well while I was recording bass yesterday and again when recording banjo today. I also did some cajon tracking today but realized that I could've incorporated a different rhythm. I may do that again at a later stage or just stick some drum samples under it.

I didn't pay much attention to the 2/4 bars though, I noticed them but I didn't even notice the click track going off. I use the click track more as a tempo guide than a bar guide which may or may not be a good thing. :P
Production and mixing

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2015, 09:50:01 pm »
Also at bar 69... the end of that chorus the E is held for 2 beats and the A gets four. That's why everything "evens back out"

So Rachel you have 2 different choruses.

DAEA DAEA DADE |A 2/4 | song continues...

Then next one is
DAEA DAEA DAD|E 2/4 | A 4/4 | and then song continues.

That really should be fixed.  Personally I would make it all 4/4 but at the very least your choruses should be the same.
Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 219
    • My Road Case
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2015, 10:09:08 pm »
Yes, that's what I mean. I think your chorus isn't an even number of bars at 4/4 timing: it seems to be be 12 1/2.

That's not a problem. It's just an observation.

4/4 is the most common timing to use, but call it 2/4 and it becomes full bars. ;)

At the end of the day, if it sounds good, that's what matters and, to my ears, it only sounds odd if you try to put a 4/4/ click track against it. The only thing I would say is that this slightly unusual timing may need to be taken into account by anyone adding a drum track.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline diademgrove

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2015, 10:10:17 pm »
I just treated the song as 4/4 with some bars having 2 chords. I liked the feeling of the song being a little off kilter, that's what happens when you're in love, waiting to see if the feelings mutual and you head's in a spin.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2015, 11:52:21 pm »
It's bad practice to have your chorus two different ways. That's what people will learn to sing and clap to or whatever. When it ends two different ways with two different chords getting a bar of 2/4 it will confuse everyone.

It's fine if it's not a chorus and you don't want people to clap and dance to it.

All she did was rush the end the end of her first chorus... then later tried to 'fix it on the run'... which she kinda did... but she 'fixed'  two different chords...

If you like the 2/4 fine... but a chorus is supposed to be -- the same thing-- ... and this style of music is known for choruses... it's not Frank Zappa.

I mean it's her song, but why not just fix it? It's a simple matter to fix...
1st chorus.. hold A for two more beats. 2nd chorus.. hold E for two more beats. Done.

Then the whole world can clap and play to it without getting lost.

Gone

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 43
    • Official Website
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2015, 12:23:05 am »
I'll fix it when I re-record it in a studio.  Right now I'm not worried about it.  Honestly, just listening to it like I do any other song, I don't hear anything weird with it - like you guys said, you really only notice it when you try to add other instruments to it.  So I don't think anyone else just listening to it will notice, either. 

I just treated the song as 4/4 with some bars having 2 chords. I liked the feeling of the song being a little off kilter, that's what happens when you're in love, waiting to see if the feelings mutual and you head's in a spin.

Okay, I'll go with this!  ;)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2015, 03:13:14 am »
You did it again at bar 101. I have a Reaper file with the chords and format laid out if anyone wants it.

It might save you some time and frustration... I doubt if I can do much more between now and the deadline.

... and check my math on the chords from the bridge on out... I started getting a bit cross-eyed pasting those things in.

BTW.. if anyone wants to know how to do that...
Insert blank track
Insert empty media
Put snap on
Adjust media to width of bar.
Double click media
Type chord name - Am7 for instance
Check box that says stretch to fit.
Click ok

Now you can copy past that one
Double click it
Change chord - B
Click OK

After you get a few you can Ctrl-Click and copy/paste several.

I put it at the top track but you can have it at bottom too. You just need to size your screen so you can read that track and have it scroll past nicely if you intend to play to it.

Anyway.. it's here if anyone wants it, I'll email the .rpp file

Actually I guess i can type the chart for those not in Reaper
Intro:
A D A E A D AE A - all 4/4 ( AE means 2 beats each for full bar of 4/4 )

Verse1
A D A E A D AE A A D AE A - all 4/4

Verse 2
A D A E A D AE A

I had to make a decision as to where the verse ends and chorus begins so there is some overlap and I have selected from beat 1. You'll see.

Chorus 1
D A E A D A E A D A D E 4/4 + A in 2/4 ( bar 45 )

Verse 3
A D AE A A D A E A D AE A in 4/4

Chorus 2 altered
D A E A D A E A D A D in 4/4 then bar 69 E in 2/4 followed by bar 70 A in 4/4 ... I suppose you could say it's 69 EA in 4/4 and 70 A in 2/4 but it doesn't 'sound' that way... So I wrote it the way it sounds to me.

Re-INTRO
A D A E A D AE A in 4/4

Bridge -- and check my math here I was reading her chart, listening and messing up my cut/paste job.
Bm A Bm A Bm A Bm E E in 4/4

Chorus 3 altered -- check my chords here too
D A E A D A E A D A D E A in 4/4 followed by bar 101 E in 2/4 followed by bar 102 A in 4/4

Outro
A D AE A

If you find mistakes post and I'll fix.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:28:22 am by TB-AV »
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2015, 03:37:07 am »
... you really only notice it when you try to add other instruments to it. 

Which is kinda important when your entire goal in life is to become a singer / songwriter / musician / band leader.

That's all you are ever going to be doing, is having it noticed by everyone you associate with.
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2015, 04:49:04 am »
For those of you that can't get a bass... Bass-TB is very basic.. cut and paste it all you like. Bass2 has a few more notes but again nothing fancy... it also has a few mistakes.. but feel free to cut and paste the notes any way you like or use bass1 as is if you like. I would normally put bass on last but anyway.. it's there if you want it. I hope this link works.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wxoqe4x6mencm89/Bass-TB.7z?dl=0
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App