Author Topic: Anyone want to mix a song for me?  (Read 16791 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Re: Anyone want to mix a song for me?
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2015, 04:19:42 pm »
The thump is just a percussive hit on the acoustic guitar.

Oh ok,,, yeah that makes sense. That should be played over. Fix it at the tracking level not the mixing level.

Gone

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 41
    • Official Website
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2015, 04:32:06 pm »
Oh no... I've been voted off the island and no one even told me!!!  Jeff is supposed to call me up and say "TB the tribe has spoken" or the floor is supposed to fall out from under me or something.

Hahaha sorry, TB, I've just been PMing them to whoever asks for them rather than posting them publicly.  I'll send them to you.  :)

Thank you for that info, Keith!! Do you remember what frequencies the nasality was at?  I want to be able to fix it but I don't really hear it like everyone else does.
Frontwoman of folk-rock band Lighting Matches
www.LightingMatches.weebly.com
www.Facebook.com/LightingMatchesMusic

Debut solo EP "Destination Sunday" (Rachel White)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2015, 04:41:45 pm »
You should record your guitar part over again. Do -not- make those percussive thumps on it. Use one the mixed tracks as your rhythm if you like...

When you first did it, you probably had to use the percussion to keep time... now use something else for time and use good recording technique to get a nice clean track of strumming. Actually a couple or three tracks would be good.

Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 86
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2015, 06:19:56 pm »
Thank you for that info, Keith!! Do you remember what frequencies the nasality was at?  I want to be able to fix it but I don't really hear it like everyone else does.

Offhand I don't sorry. I seem to remember it was somewhere around 2.5kHz, but it was actually fairly subtle.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2015, 06:24:34 pm »
Rachel, you really need to try to keep your files more organized. Also download 7zip or whatever people use on a Mac to zip files.

First make a TEXT file that keeps a running account of each and every file and change to project. Use the date

05/14/2015
This happened

05/13/15
Added Marcus Folder
Cello added - Cello 1 - Marcus
EQ / FX template provided - see file Cello 1.txt   

Make one big SONG FOLDER - SONG NAME

Make a folder for Current Version SONG NAME -- iow, this folder will contain the most recent takes that you feel are the keepers or simply are the most recent gatherings form others, cello, bass, drums, etc that were given to you.

Next a folder with OLDER TAKES -- as it describes these are older takes but someone may still want pieces or parts of them. ... or this folder may remain empty..

Track naming - Do not name all your tracks by song name. When people load these in they will put that name in and they will have to re-name everything.

Name your tracks similar to...
VOX 1 - Rachel
VOX 2 - Rachel

BG VOX 1- (name?)
BG VOX 2 - (name?)

Bass 1 - Majik
Bass 2 - (name?)

Cello 1 - Marcus

Drums 1 - (name?)
Drums 2 - (name?)

Do these as needed or provided -- individual drums
Kick
Snare
Low tom
Mid tom
High tom
Etc.

Bongos 1 - (name?)

Synth Ambient - (name?)

etc...

Now also in your text file, which should be some universal file that anyone can open and can contain text and graphics.  Let's say someone shares with you the specific settings for say BG VOX2... you can have those settings in this file.... the exact settings for the exact file... Others may want to duplicate them as well. Or make a DOCS folder and have several txt files as needed/provided.

Also in the whole song mix folder you could have Project Templates and under that say Reaper, Cubase, Ardour,,, whatever... these are tiny files. ... and again you may not be the only person that wants share, copy, learn, use certain settings.

I can tell you, if people keep adding and working off each other, you may end up with a nice mix but aside from maybe one or two people, no one here and especially you, will not be able to duplicate it or even know how it came to be, much less re-create it.

Think what you would do if you end up with say 50 or 75 tracks.... no one will want to download them individually and you will not be able to keep up with what's what.

You should keep a daily running accounting and organizing of the whole ordeal so it's all in one big zip file AND the documents file describes to anyone that opens the folder exactly what is what and which folder contains the most current files.

I think everyone should send you their tracks and their mix and you document it all and re-share it.

As an example.
You start out with 4 tracks - you name and document it all.
rhythm
lead
vocal
Mix
Text - thoughts on your mix, settings, ideas, etc.

Next let's say Marcus add cello. he loads to you two tracks
cello
Mix
Text

So now your Current Song folder has
Rachel ( 4 tracks )
Marcus ( 2 tracks --- as his mix was your 4 and his single added track )

Now .. Borodog can download the whole deal, read the text file, then add drums ) He uploads to you
Stereo Drum Tracks
Mix
Text

You update and amend the main file ... now available to all is....
Rachel - 3 tracks
Marcus - 1 cello track
Borodog - 1 stereo drum track

Again included in that they may provide you with specific FX chains, EQ settings, etc... AND it's all available to anyone that wants to build off those other parts.

The thing is... every added part changes the way controls interact for the overall Mix Sonics.

So you have to be the organizer and clearing house offering up one big growing download. Not 50 individual ones with the same name.

Otherwise you will never be able learn what is happening nor will you maximize your potential for others to add their ideas.

Right now I have 12 files.. I have absolutely no idea what they are. I may or may not have files from others, I may have old stuff mixed in with new. so I have to figure it out.... Now imagine that is 50 files or 100 files. If you can figure this stuff out without being organized about it, it will be a near miracle. On the other hand if you do get organized, more people will chip in AND you can zero in on just how one thing was done....... provided others are willing to share specifically what they did.... which I would think they would/should.... although when people do stuff for free they often figure 'time spent' is all you get, which is fair as people only have so much time... so you are going to have to have some means of looking/listening to the individual things people did.... and sometimes maybe even person A can explain what person B did, to a great degree, but only if they have it available to them in an organized manner. For instance one person could take a screen shot of their PC.. they send to you. You must share that in an organized fashion and perhaps another may be able to walk you through it where the person that provided it simply doesn't have the time.

The good news is... once you make this organizational SONG FOLDER, you simply save it and use it each time... in fact that could be your input... you could make a Song Colab Folder Template and others here could use it for other projects.

Anyway.... you can try it your way but I simply can not impress upon you enough how keeping all this organized is.... it's already getting hard to follow and thus far there is no complexity to the project what so ever.

If you intend to simply say ok, that's a nice mix and that's a nice mix... then no need. If you intend to have everyone sharing and learn ideas and work off each others inputs, then it has to be kept organized. ... and if you are the band leader....... then you are the project manager and need to organize and share.

Right now you have...

Several mixes - you are not sure what is going on with them.
Several .wav files that are not identified
Chord chart that are posted somewhere in a thread on a forum
Unshared individual instrument tracks
No written lyrics
No shared project templates, FX chains, etc ( although no one is obligated to share those and may not even want to )

Anyway.... I hope you can see the difference between what you and everyone else could be working with vs and ever growing snowball of things spread everywhere with limited means of communicating them to each other.
Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 86
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2015, 06:44:36 pm »
I have to say TB-AV is right, it was a bit haphazard.

A tool I've found invaluable with collaborative projects is Google Drive.

Why Google Drive? Well, as well as providing file sharing like Dropbox, it also supports collaborative document editing, so you can keep documentation on your projects, such as a spreadsheet for the song sheet, a document of recording notes, etc. and these can be made selectively visible/editable.

If you create a shared folder and share it out to others, they can also add their own stuff to it, such as edited or additional tracks and notes, etc.

I've worked on teams where we've had over 100 people accessing, updating, and viewing spreadsheets and other documents including from tablets and mobile phones.

And if you have a Gmail address or Youtube account then you also have a free Drive account just waiting to be used. You don't need any other software apart from a decent modern web browser.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
    • my guitar playing videos! =) check them out!
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2015, 06:47:43 pm »
+1 to organizing. 50% of getting a good end result from recording/mixing is being organized. Maybe even more.
I also added direct links to my mixes now since someone mentioned that.

As requested, here is the strings stripped from the rest, along with a midi-file, incase someone has better plugins than my cheap (free!) ones they want to use. Just import into DAW. 
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wet6e4vv4xgkb4s/AACi_G2xaJuF9UYcOjJBCzIPa?dl=0

(link for just listening: http://tinyurl.com/klcyaom )

As TB mentioned, I dont really know what you want, but I'd be happy to send some individual tracks, pics of fx-settings or whatever. Just ask if there is any part from my side you want.
My band on Facebook: Sandmarx
on youtube: SandmarxTube

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2015, 08:59:13 pm »
I have never used GoogleDrive but if you set it up yourself....

If you use DropBox and do say a daily update..

If the dropbox folder was Good Kind Criminal Project -- that never changes...

Then inside that your actual changing project could be something like a folder similar to this..

Good Kind Of Criminal - folder
-- Documents -- anything, chart, lyrics, info... At least have one document that is a change log by date.
-- Linls -- things like plugins or 7zip and such in a text file
-- Participants -- each person would have a folder under this folder
---- Majik
---- Marcus
---- Etc
-- Mixes - as you get new mixes just place them.. Marcus1, Marcus2, Scooter1, Scooter 2, etc
-- Project Templates --- any specific stuff that could be loaded up ( these would be individuals folders as well, as they made them available and be replicated here )
----- Generic
----- Reaper
----- Cubase
-----  Ardour
-- Current Tracks
-- Old Tracks

Where ever you do it.. if you keep it updated anyone should be able to access the main project folder from one link that stays active all the time until you close the project ... and have everything that is up to date at any given time and instructions telling them what's going on.

Probably some of this could be altered, added to.... this is just a generic structure.

Gone

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2015, 09:14:41 am »
Love the strings Marcus.

I got a couple hours of free time today so I added some drums and played a bass line on my guitar and then transposed it down an octave with ReaPitch. It's not finished.. Still need to do some quantizing and pitch fixes and mixing. I'm sure people will hate it, but WTF...

https://soundcloud.com/scooter-trash/rachels-song-3

I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2015, 01:31:40 pm »
Hey Rachel.... any chance you are open to any lyric changes.....?

"You light me up like a flashlight on a moonless night."

You light me up like the moonlight on my loneliest night.
Gone

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 41
    • Official Website
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2015, 02:56:07 pm »
Thanks, Marcus!

Scooter - actually, that sounds pretty awesome.  :)  I love having the other instruments added - gives me a cool idea of what they'll sound like when played with a full band someday!  The only downside to the drums is it makes it more obvious where I get a little bit off-time.  I recorded it to the click track on Reaper but it's still easy for me to lose the tempo a bit.

I'm not sure how I feel about the vocals (it sounds cool but I'm not sure if it's right for this song) but the rest of it I actually really like, especially where the change at the bridge.  Could you send me the tracks for the stuff you added to this one so I can play around with it?

TB - normally I would be open to lyric changes, yes.  This is the one exception where I need to keep specific words, "Flashlight" being one of them.  :)  But I appreciate the suggestion!

So, to clarify, you want me to do one folder for the song, and individual folders inside it for each person that contributes?

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2015, 04:14:47 pm »
Yes.... If you have one main folder for say dropbox that will be one link that never changes..

So you give out DROPBOX LINK -- now anyone can go to that same link any time they like...

Now inside that link is the whole project folder with song name.

Song 1 --- so a new person could download the whole thing and have it all.

or... a person that has been following along can read your daily update and only download what they need.

So say someone downloaded the whole project last week... then today Marcus adds strings. You update the approriate folders to dropbox and update the running text update file.

Now also today someone adds bagpipes...

Next person checks updates and says ok, I only want the bagpipes.... so people can All or they can have 'what they want' ... but you will always be keeping the whole deal up to date.

... and you want it as easily gathered as possible.

For instance say Scooter, Marcus, Boro, Cue all give you a drum mix... Well one person may want them all, especially if they provide the midi track. Another person may say they only wanted Boros tracks becasue he played it live and it sounded more natural.... but either way it's there organized in individual folders.

Now let's say in your current example.... Let's say you re-sing your vocal to the new drums... You might want to keep them separate for organizing.

CURRENT TRACKS
--VOCAL
---- CLICK
-------- take 1, take 2, take 3
---- DRUM ( Scooter )
--------- take 5, take 6, take 7

That indicates your vocals are sung to two different rhythms.... AND they are kept separate,,, AND they have unique names even if they were to get mixed or used by someone at the same time...

For instance let's someone wanted to use your Verse vocal sung to Scooters drums but your Chorus vocals sung to the click... Well if they were both named Take 1 that creates a problem.

Same thing if you get 5 different people playing bass.... you want to make bass tracks available but not everyone will use the same stuff and some may use parts from different people.

So basically keep things organized in folders with unique track names but yes... the whole ordeal should be able to be downloaded as 1 big file.

Now inside any folder... Let's say Marcus-Stings.wav --- you can zip all the wav files to save space... so the folder will actually be MARCUS - Strings.zip .... the zipper util just uses the same name by default.

You could also also make the whole ordeal zipped as a single file say one every other day or if you get a lot of new material... like if you got 5 new mixes... well they are being heard here so no big deal... but if you got 10 new tracks.... you might want to get it all organized then zip the whole ordeal for people.

WHOLESONG051515.ZIP
WHOLESONG051715.ZIP  -- notice people can see the latest full package by the date code.

Basically anyone should be able to open the document folder. Read the project status and be able to easily find each and every file that has been contributed and know who it was from. Be it audio, midi, FX chains or all of the above...

There should be no confsion. You should be able to look at the folder structure and know where to go to select what you want and when you get inside a folder the file names should be very clear as to what they are and who made them.

In fact you could request that everyone name their files as instrument, take, musician

Bass T1 Marcus
or
Bass Chorus1 T1 Marcus
Bass Chorus1 T2 Marcus
Bass Verse3 T1 Marcus

Probably you won't get a lot of 'takes' from people but you may get pieces that fit certain sections of the song. Like maybe someone only had an idea for the bridge.

Accordion Bridge NAME

Even if you have to rename all the files yourself... it's not like you get that many on any given day. Better for you to rename and post 3 files a day, than 10 people renaming 40 files  just to be able to get started on taking a shot at mixing it.

IOW, when you get it organized and show it to your mother... after she reads the document file describing it, if she goes.... 'ok where is?'  or 'ok, what is?'    then it's probably not as organized as it could be.

===

10-4 on the "flashlight" ----- I don't know who you are doing this for but I hope your subliminal messages get through.

Gone

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2015, 04:18:42 pm »
With a big nod of appreciation to Scooter Trash here's my mix. Scooter's first mix had an excitement that went with the lyrics which, sorry, wasn't there in the reference mix or in marcus' two mixes.

It may help if I set out how I approached the mix. For me the most important part of the song was the vocal and the lyrics. The lyrics and the vocal are upbeat and exciting. To me the music should compliment that emotion.

On listening to the stems (individual tracks) and the other mixes I thought there was a tug of war between the guitars and the vocal. To me its most obvious on the reference mix and both marcus' mixes. They appear to be in competition rhythmically. That may work if there's tension in the lyrics but the song is straightforward. "I'm in love with you and you'll find out about it soon". No tension in the words or the vocal delivery. Not even the hint of unrequited love.

To get over the competition between the guitars and vocal I only used two of the rhythm guitar tracks and none of the arpeggios. The main rhythm is provided by the drums and bass. The guitar no longer sounds like its wrestling with the vocal but adding commentary to the drums and bass.

I pinched Keith's idea for the chorus, hope he doesn't mind. The main vocal is vocal 1, I added vocal 2 to the chorus. I also varied the drum and bass pattern to reflect the added excitement.

I thought about adding other instruments, especially after Marcus had put on the strings. To me they would have taken something from the vocal, which, for me should be the key.

The final version is a similar approach to Scooter's. So it began with him and finished with him. 

Enough waffle, here's the mix

https://soundcloud.com/diademgrove/good-kind-of-criminal-hsc-mix/s-HEaii

The imbed didn't worked, presumably because its private. Just click on the link and hopefully it will work.

If it does hope you like it.

diadem

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 41
    • Official Website
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2015, 09:05:13 pm »
I love how different each of these versions are.  Pretty cool stuff here, guys!  :)

I heard this today and realized, if it helps, this is sort of the sound I'm going for ultimately, though I realize this is professionally recorded and all that. 

That is a good point, diadem, about keeping the vocals and lyrics at the front and not letting them be overpowered by the music.  I hadn't really thought of that, but you're right. In my own mix, I've been using essentially 4 guitar tracks (one recorded through the mic, one through the pickups, and both duplicated.)  Maybe I need to cut it down to 1 or 2 for an acoustic version? 

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2015, 09:24:59 pm »
I love how different each of these versions are.  Pretty cool stuff here, guys!  :)

I heard this today and realized, if it helps, this is sort of the sound I'm going for ultimately, though I realize this is professionally recorded and all that. 

That is a good point, diadem, about keeping the vocals and lyrics at the front and not letting them be overpowered by the music.  I hadn't really thought of that, but you're right. In my own mix, I've been using essentially 4 guitar tracks (one recorded through the mic, one through the pickups, and both duplicated.)  Maybe I need to cut it down to 1 or 2 for an acoustic version?

FWIW: It's a lot easier to make vocals sound like that when they're professionally tracked, and sung.

I think you should post your tracks in the mixing section at GearSlutz. Many of the people there "professionally record" for a living.

Good luck.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App