Author Topic: Anyone want to mix a song for me?  (Read 21212 times)

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
Re: Anyone want to mix a song for me?
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2015, 01:41:18 am »
I think the progression has been requested multiple times. Can you provide it, Hollywood?
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 41
    • Official Website
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2015, 01:47:47 am »
Amazing what a bass guitar adds to a song! Wow. Thanks for working on it Keith!  Cool to see how different everyone's mixes are!

It's 104 bpm. Capo 2. Chords are:

Intro:
G-C-G-D-G

Verse:
G-C-G-D-G-C-G-D-G
G-C-G-D-G
G-C-G-D-G-C-G-D-G

Chorus:
C-G-D-G-C-G-D-G-C-G-C-D-G

Verse:
G-C-G-D-G-C-G-D-G

Chorus:
C-G-D-G-C-G-D-G-C-G-C-D-G

Solo:
G-C-G-D-G-C-G-D-G

Bridge:
Am-G-Am-G-D-Am-G-Am-D

Chorus:
C-G-D-G-C-G-D-G-C-G-C-D-C-D-G
Frontwoman of alt-rock band Lighting Matches - debut album "Against The Flame"
www.LightingMatchesMusic.com
www.Facebook.com/LightingMatchesMusic

Debut solo EP "Destination Sunday" (Rachel White)

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2015, 02:09:06 am »
Keith, I really liked some of your ideas in that mix. The bass adds a lot, but there seemed to be a latency issue on the bass line? It also drops out at one point (no bass); not sure if that was intentional. I think you may have missed the chords in the bridge.

But I really liked the doubled vocal in the choruses; I would just punch up the timing so the match better. Also consider not panning them once the timing is identical. A doubled vocal can sound really fat; Freddy Mercury and John Lennon used to double (or triple) their vocals, for example.

Nice mix.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2015, 03:06:26 am »
Keith, I really liked some of your ideas in that mix. The bass adds a lot, but there seemed to be a latency issue on the bass line? It also drops out at one point (no bass); not sure if that was intentional. I think you may have missed the chords in the bridge.

Agree... good idea but it's erratic... compress it to where all the notes are level too.

Also agree the whole thing was really in need of back ground vocals which the doubles provided.

I would still bring her voice more forward than you have it.

Listen to how forward the lead melody guitar is when it plays as opposed to her lead voice. The guitar is the more powerful of the two.... should be other way around.

Gone

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
    • my guitar playing videos! =) check them out!
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2015, 10:11:10 am »
Adding bass! Cool! But the timing seems to be all over the place  ???
Double vocals on the chorus is a good idea! But it sounds like its clipping?

I did a new one now too:

https://soundcloud.com/marcusmarkmus/good-criminal-test-2-mix-for-rachel

No extra intruments or fancy stuff added.
I tried to just make it clear and smooth and even. Just a girl with her guitar singing.

EDIT:
Fancy stuff and instruments added! :D
more specific, STRINGS of different kinds. I think its cool, but I got a serious cello-fetish, so I dunno. Here it is:
    https://soundcloud.com/marcusmarkmus/good-criminal-test-strings-for-rachel-mix
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 06:26:15 pm by marcusmarkmus »
My band on Facebook: Sandmarx
on youtube: SandmarxTube

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2015, 02:24:52 pm »
Yes, dodgy timing comes from trying to lay down the bass line at 1am using a Korg Nanokey, and then crudely applying some quantisation, shortly before the hard drive failed on my PC.

I need to tidy up the note timings on that bassline, if I get around to it, but I may not get the opportunity.

I also need to put the Nanokey in the bin!

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 41
    • Official Website
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2015, 02:52:46 pm »
You guys are awesome.  :D  Seriously.

Can you guys tell me exactly what stuff you're doing to the vocals, and how much?  I've been having a really hard time with those when mixing on my own.
Frontwoman of alt-rock band Lighting Matches - debut album "Against The Flame"
www.LightingMatchesMusic.com
www.Facebook.com/LightingMatchesMusic

Debut solo EP "Destination Sunday" (Rachel White)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2015, 03:17:35 pm »
You guys are awesome.  :D  Seriously.

Can you guys tell me exactly what stuff you're doing to the vocals, and how much?  I've been having a really hard time with those when mixing on my own.

For me, as far as I remember (my main PC being out of action for the moment), aside from the doubling, I put the following plugins on the vocal track (in order):

Saturator
5-band EQ
Reverb

(All the above are Calf Studio Gear plugins. I have lots of others including some commercial ones, but I do like the Calf ones for their simplicity and commonality of user interface)

The 5-band EQ and reverb I pretty much stick on all tracks (even if I leave them in bypass) usually by way of a common bus for any track groups.

For instance, for the two vocal tracks I connect the output of those into a single bus I call "Vocal bus" and add the plugins to that. That lets me do any relative adjustments, such as level and panning, on the individual tracks, but then handle any other tweaks in one go. This reduces duplication and also the processing power required by the plugins.

Equally I had a "Rhythm Guit Bus", a "Arp Guit bus", etc.

The Saturator was really to fatten up the vocals slightly, whilst I used to EQ to try to notch out some of the nasal frequencies. Then I put on a little reverb, but not a lot.

For the rhythm guitar I did something similar to the vocals: there were a few tracks of each of which at least two seemed to be the same recording but with a slightly different tone. My guess was one was recorded via mic and the other via pickup.  I pushed these left and right and adjust the levels so they were roughly balanced. Then applied EQ to the bus to completely chop off the low frequencies (after I had decided it kinda needed a bass line) and boosted a little at around 2kHz (I think).

I EQd the arpeggiated guitar to try to boost it's presence and give it a bit of space of it's own. That's when I got it sounding a little like an electric piano. I can't remember the EQ settings for that, but it was mainly boosting one frequency and cutting the lower frequencies again. At one point I experimented putting a rotary speaker effect on that, but I can't remember offhand if I kept it in or not.

Two of the guitar tracks, by the way (I don't recall which), were actually identical except for the levels.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2015, 03:27:00 pm »

Fancy stuff and instruments added! :D
more specific, STRINGS of different kinds. I think its cool, but I got a serious cello-fetish, so I dunno. Here it is:

I like it! I thought about doing something like that, but having them come in at the second chorus to build the song intensity.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2015, 03:55:15 pm »
Can someone tell me where the download link is... or am I being subtly told to bow out?
Gone

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2015, 03:58:23 pm »
I hate to be a pest about this but can everybody please include direct links in addition to soundcloud tags? Prett please? With a cherry on top?

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2015, 04:01:36 pm »
Can someone tell me where the download link is... or am I being subtly told to bow out?

Hollywood pm'd me with a list of dropbox files. I just clicked on the files and saved them to my pc. Hope this helps.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2015, 04:02:54 pm »
Marcus... I don't know if you added it or it's been in there all along but there is a "thump..... thump" way up in the mix and it has the effect almost as though someone is kicking a mic stand.

I do like the idea of strings. Had thought of it myself, but I was thinking more violin than cello... I still think a mandolin would be cool too but not a bright in your face type... a more distant.

Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2015, 04:08:33 pm »
Hollywood pm'd me with a list of dropbox files. I just clicked on the files and saved them to my pc. Hope this helps.

Oh no... I've been voted off the island and no one even told me!!!  Jeff is supposed to call me up and say "TB the tribe has spoken" or the floor is supposed to fall out from under me or something.

Gone

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2015, 04:12:31 pm »
Wow that strings version is awesome. The thump is just a percussive hit on the acoustic guitar. It can be eqed out to leave room on the bottom for bass/cello.

Marcus you need to post the isolated strings track so others can incorporate it.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App