Author Topic: Anyone want to mix a song for me?  (Read 39997 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
Re: Anyone want to mix a song for me?
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2015, 10:39:43 pm »
Hi Hollywood

I wouldn't mind having a go at mixing your song. I'd like to add some drums and bass. if you have no objection let me know the bpm and the chord progression. My transcribing skills are awful and if you want it by the 22nd I'll need to take some short-cuts.

Thanks,

diadem

Rachel, if you do that, you could post me a link too.
Gone

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 43
    • Official Website
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2015, 11:59:35 pm »
Rachel, if you do that, you could post me a link too.

I'm not sure what you mean, TB.
Frontwoman of alt-rock band Lighting Matches - debut album "Against The Flame"
www.LightingMatchesMusic.com
www.Facebook.com/LightingMatchesMusic

Debut solo EP "Destination Sunday" (Rachel White)

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2015, 12:56:26 am »
I think TB was asking for a link to the tracks (and possibly for the bpm, key, chord progressions etc. which are always helpful).

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2015, 09:38:57 am »
104 BPM in A major is what I got.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 219
    • My Road Case
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2015, 01:26:56 am »
OK, this is my first attempt, done quite quickly due to lack of time.

https://soundcloud.com/majik394/goodkindofcriminal-r2-session/s-ujgSf

For the vocals, I doubled up for the choruses. Hollywood sent two versions of the vocals across and when I was comparing them panned hard left and right, I kinda liked the effect, so I kept it, although doesn't quite work in a few places.

I did a bit of EQ on the guitar doing the arpeggiations, and it came out sounding a bit like an electric piano, which I also liked.

I've added a basic bassline as it felt a bit empty without it. I also think it might benefit from some percussion, but it needs to be subtle. My thought is some light snare work with brushes, but that's not something I can do.

I've also not really had time to consider mastering it as whole, so it might not be as balanced as it could be.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2015, 01:41:18 am »
I think the progression has been requested multiple times. Can you provide it, Hollywood?
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 43
    • Official Website
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2015, 01:47:47 am »
Amazing what a bass guitar adds to a song! Wow. Thanks for working on it Keith!  Cool to see how different everyone's mixes are!

It's 104 bpm. Capo 2. Chords are:

Intro:
G-C-G-D-G

Verse:
G-C-G-D-G-C-G-D-G
G-C-G-D-G
G-C-G-D-G-C-G-D-G

Chorus:
C-G-D-G-C-G-D-G-C-G-C-D-G

Verse:
G-C-G-D-G-C-G-D-G

Chorus:
C-G-D-G-C-G-D-G-C-G-C-D-G

Solo:
G-C-G-D-G-C-G-D-G

Bridge:
Am-G-Am-G-D-Am-G-Am-D

Chorus:
C-G-D-G-C-G-D-G-C-G-C-D-C-D-G

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2015, 02:09:06 am »
Keith, I really liked some of your ideas in that mix. The bass adds a lot, but there seemed to be a latency issue on the bass line? It also drops out at one point (no bass); not sure if that was intentional. I think you may have missed the chords in the bridge.

But I really liked the doubled vocal in the choruses; I would just punch up the timing so the match better. Also consider not panning them once the timing is identical. A doubled vocal can sound really fat; Freddy Mercury and John Lennon used to double (or triple) their vocals, for example.

Nice mix.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2015, 03:06:26 am »
Keith, I really liked some of your ideas in that mix. The bass adds a lot, but there seemed to be a latency issue on the bass line? It also drops out at one point (no bass); not sure if that was intentional. I think you may have missed the chords in the bridge.

Agree... good idea but it's erratic... compress it to where all the notes are level too.

Also agree the whole thing was really in need of back ground vocals which the doubles provided.

I would still bring her voice more forward than you have it.

Listen to how forward the lead melody guitar is when it plays as opposed to her lead voice. The guitar is the more powerful of the two.... should be other way around.

Gone

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 77
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
    • my guitar playing videos! =) check them out!
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2015, 10:11:10 am »
Adding bass! Cool! But the timing seems to be all over the place  ???
Double vocals on the chorus is a good idea! But it sounds like its clipping?

I did a new one now too:

https://soundcloud.com/marcusmarkmus/good-criminal-test-2-mix-for-rachel
https://soundcloud.com/marcusmarkmus/good-criminal-test-2-mix-for-rachel

No extra intruments or fancy stuff added.
I tried to just make it clear and smooth and even. Just a girl with her guitar singing.

EDIT:
Fancy stuff and instruments added! :D
more specific, STRINGS of different kinds. I think its cool, but I got a serious cello-fetish, so I dunno. Here it is:
https://soundcloud.com/marcusmarkmus/good-criminal-test-strings-for-rachel-mix
https://soundcloud.com/marcusmarkmus/good-criminal-test-strings-for-rachel-mix
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 06:26:15 pm by marcusmarkmus »
My band on Facebook: Sandmarx
on youtube: SandmarxTube

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 219
    • My Road Case
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2015, 02:24:52 pm »
Yes, dodgy timing comes from trying to lay down the bass line at 1am using a Korg Nanokey, and then crudely applying some quantisation, shortly before the hard drive failed on my PC.

I need to tidy up the note timings on that bassline, if I get around to it, but I may not get the opportunity.

I also need to put the Nanokey in the bin!

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 43
    • Official Website
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2015, 02:52:46 pm »
You guys are awesome.  :D  Seriously.

Can you guys tell me exactly what stuff you're doing to the vocals, and how much?  I've been having a really hard time with those when mixing on my own.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 219
    • My Road Case
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2015, 03:17:35 pm »
You guys are awesome.  :D  Seriously.

Can you guys tell me exactly what stuff you're doing to the vocals, and how much?  I've been having a really hard time with those when mixing on my own.

For me, as far as I remember (my main PC being out of action for the moment), aside from the doubling, I put the following plugins on the vocal track (in order):

Saturator
5-band EQ
Reverb

(All the above are Calf Studio Gear plugins. I have lots of others including some commercial ones, but I do like the Calf ones for their simplicity and commonality of user interface)

The 5-band EQ and reverb I pretty much stick on all tracks (even if I leave them in bypass) usually by way of a common bus for any track groups.

For instance, for the two vocal tracks I connect the output of those into a single bus I call "Vocal bus" and add the plugins to that. That lets me do any relative adjustments, such as level and panning, on the individual tracks, but then handle any other tweaks in one go. This reduces duplication and also the processing power required by the plugins.

Equally I had a "Rhythm Guit Bus", a "Arp Guit bus", etc.

The Saturator was really to fatten up the vocals slightly, whilst I used to EQ to try to notch out some of the nasal frequencies. Then I put on a little reverb, but not a lot.

For the rhythm guitar I did something similar to the vocals: there were a few tracks of each of which at least two seemed to be the same recording but with a slightly different tone. My guess was one was recorded via mic and the other via pickup.  I pushed these left and right and adjust the levels so they were roughly balanced. Then applied EQ to the bus to completely chop off the low frequencies (after I had decided it kinda needed a bass line) and boosted a little at around 2kHz (I think).

I EQd the arpeggiated guitar to try to boost it's presence and give it a bit of space of it's own. That's when I got it sounding a little like an electric piano. I can't remember the EQ settings for that, but it was mainly boosting one frequency and cutting the lower frequencies again. At one point I experimented putting a rotary speaker effect on that, but I can't remember offhand if I kept it in or not.

Two of the guitar tracks, by the way (I don't recall which), were actually identical except for the levels.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 219
    • My Road Case
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2015, 03:27:00 pm »

Fancy stuff and instruments added! :D
more specific, STRINGS of different kinds. I think its cool, but I got a serious cello-fetish, so I dunno. Here it is:

I like it! I thought about doing something like that, but having them come in at the second chorus to build the song intensity.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2015, 03:55:15 pm »
Can someone tell me where the download link is... or am I being subtly told to bow out?
Gone

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2015, 03:58:23 pm »
I hate to be a pest about this but can everybody please include direct links in addition to soundcloud tags? Prett please? With a cherry on top?

Offline diademgrove

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2015, 04:01:36 pm »
Can someone tell me where the download link is... or am I being subtly told to bow out?

Hollywood pm'd me with a list of dropbox files. I just clicked on the files and saved them to my pc. Hope this helps.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2015, 04:02:54 pm »
Marcus... I don't know if you added it or it's been in there all along but there is a "thump..... thump" way up in the mix and it has the effect almost as though someone is kicking a mic stand.

I do like the idea of strings. Had thought of it myself, but I was thinking more violin than cello... I still think a mandolin would be cool too but not a bright in your face type... a more distant.

Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2015, 04:08:33 pm »
Hollywood pm'd me with a list of dropbox files. I just clicked on the files and saved them to my pc. Hope this helps.

Oh no... I've been voted off the island and no one even told me!!!  Jeff is supposed to call me up and say "TB the tribe has spoken" or the floor is supposed to fall out from under me or something.

Gone

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2015, 04:12:31 pm »
Wow that strings version is awesome. The thump is just a percussive hit on the acoustic guitar. It can be eqed out to leave room on the bottom for bass/cello.

Marcus you need to post the isolated strings track so others can incorporate it.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2015, 04:19:42 pm »
The thump is just a percussive hit on the acoustic guitar.

Oh ok,,, yeah that makes sense. That should be played over. Fix it at the tracking level not the mixing level.

Gone

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 43
    • Official Website
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2015, 04:32:06 pm »
Oh no... I've been voted off the island and no one even told me!!!  Jeff is supposed to call me up and say "TB the tribe has spoken" or the floor is supposed to fall out from under me or something.

Hahaha sorry, TB, I've just been PMing them to whoever asks for them rather than posting them publicly.  I'll send them to you.  :)

Thank you for that info, Keith!! Do you remember what frequencies the nasality was at?  I want to be able to fix it but I don't really hear it like everyone else does.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2015, 04:41:45 pm »
You should record your guitar part over again. Do -not- make those percussive thumps on it. Use one the mixed tracks as your rhythm if you like...

When you first did it, you probably had to use the percussion to keep time... now use something else for time and use good recording technique to get a nice clean track of strumming. Actually a couple or three tracks would be good.

Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 219
    • My Road Case
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2015, 06:19:56 pm »
Thank you for that info, Keith!! Do you remember what frequencies the nasality was at?  I want to be able to fix it but I don't really hear it like everyone else does.

Offhand I don't sorry. I seem to remember it was somewhere around 2.5kHz, but it was actually fairly subtle.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2015, 06:24:34 pm »
Rachel, you really need to try to keep your files more organized. Also download 7zip or whatever people use on a Mac to zip files.

First make a TEXT file that keeps a running account of each and every file and change to project. Use the date

05/14/2015
This happened

05/13/15
Added Marcus Folder
Cello added - Cello 1 - Marcus
EQ / FX template provided - see file Cello 1.txt   

Make one big SONG FOLDER - SONG NAME

Make a folder for Current Version SONG NAME -- iow, this folder will contain the most recent takes that you feel are the keepers or simply are the most recent gatherings form others, cello, bass, drums, etc that were given to you.

Next a folder with OLDER TAKES -- as it describes these are older takes but someone may still want pieces or parts of them. ... or this folder may remain empty..

Track naming - Do not name all your tracks by song name. When people load these in they will put that name in and they will have to re-name everything.

Name your tracks similar to...
VOX 1 - Rachel
VOX 2 - Rachel

BG VOX 1- (name?)
BG VOX 2 - (name?)

Bass 1 - Majik
Bass 2 - (name?)

Cello 1 - Marcus

Drums 1 - (name?)
Drums 2 - (name?)

Do these as needed or provided -- individual drums
Kick
Snare
Low tom
Mid tom
High tom
Etc.

Bongos 1 - (name?)

Synth Ambient - (name?)

etc...

Now also in your text file, which should be some universal file that anyone can open and can contain text and graphics.  Let's say someone shares with you the specific settings for say BG VOX2... you can have those settings in this file.... the exact settings for the exact file... Others may want to duplicate them as well. Or make a DOCS folder and have several txt files as needed/provided.

Also in the whole song mix folder you could have Project Templates and under that say Reaper, Cubase, Ardour,,, whatever... these are tiny files. ... and again you may not be the only person that wants share, copy, learn, use certain settings.

I can tell you, if people keep adding and working off each other, you may end up with a nice mix but aside from maybe one or two people, no one here and especially you, will not be able to duplicate it or even know how it came to be, much less re-create it.

Think what you would do if you end up with say 50 or 75 tracks.... no one will want to download them individually and you will not be able to keep up with what's what.

You should keep a daily running accounting and organizing of the whole ordeal so it's all in one big zip file AND the documents file describes to anyone that opens the folder exactly what is what and which folder contains the most current files.

I think everyone should send you their tracks and their mix and you document it all and re-share it.

As an example.
You start out with 4 tracks - you name and document it all.
rhythm
lead
vocal
Mix
Text - thoughts on your mix, settings, ideas, etc.

Next let's say Marcus add cello. he loads to you two tracks
cello
Mix
Text

So now your Current Song folder has
Rachel ( 4 tracks )
Marcus ( 2 tracks --- as his mix was your 4 and his single added track )

Now .. Borodog can download the whole deal, read the text file, then add drums ) He uploads to you
Stereo Drum Tracks
Mix
Text

You update and amend the main file ... now available to all is....
Rachel - 3 tracks
Marcus - 1 cello track
Borodog - 1 stereo drum track

Again included in that they may provide you with specific FX chains, EQ settings, etc... AND it's all available to anyone that wants to build off those other parts.

The thing is... every added part changes the way controls interact for the overall Mix Sonics.

So you have to be the organizer and clearing house offering up one big growing download. Not 50 individual ones with the same name.

Otherwise you will never be able learn what is happening nor will you maximize your potential for others to add their ideas.

Right now I have 12 files.. I have absolutely no idea what they are. I may or may not have files from others, I may have old stuff mixed in with new. so I have to figure it out.... Now imagine that is 50 files or 100 files. If you can figure this stuff out without being organized about it, it will be a near miracle. On the other hand if you do get organized, more people will chip in AND you can zero in on just how one thing was done....... provided others are willing to share specifically what they did.... which I would think they would/should.... although when people do stuff for free they often figure 'time spent' is all you get, which is fair as people only have so much time... so you are going to have to have some means of looking/listening to the individual things people did.... and sometimes maybe even person A can explain what person B did, to a great degree, but only if they have it available to them in an organized manner. For instance one person could take a screen shot of their PC.. they send to you. You must share that in an organized fashion and perhaps another may be able to walk you through it where the person that provided it simply doesn't have the time.

The good news is... once you make this organizational SONG FOLDER, you simply save it and use it each time... in fact that could be your input... you could make a Song Colab Folder Template and others here could use it for other projects.

Anyway.... you can try it your way but I simply can not impress upon you enough how keeping all this organized is.... it's already getting hard to follow and thus far there is no complexity to the project what so ever.

If you intend to simply say ok, that's a nice mix and that's a nice mix... then no need. If you intend to have everyone sharing and learn ideas and work off each others inputs, then it has to be kept organized. ... and if you are the band leader....... then you are the project manager and need to organize and share.

Right now you have...

Several mixes - you are not sure what is going on with them.
Several .wav files that are not identified
Chord chart that are posted somewhere in a thread on a forum
Unshared individual instrument tracks
No written lyrics
No shared project templates, FX chains, etc ( although no one is obligated to share those and may not even want to )

Anyway.... I hope you can see the difference between what you and everyone else could be working with vs and ever growing snowball of things spread everywhere with limited means of communicating them to each other.
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App