Author Topic: Anyone want to mix a song for me?  (Read 16789 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Re: Anyone want to mix a song for me?
« Reply #180 on: May 21, 2015, 03:06:29 pm »
I can't really hear the bass sound you mention... are these panned hard left and right? It sounds like they should have been a little wider...

Also when you render a file for SC... You don;t need to render the whole thing.. like a stem.

Just take you selection tool on the time line and highlight the area you want to render.

Select the tracks you want to render or simply mute the ones you don't so that the master is playing what you want to hear.

Then go to File // Render // Master Mix // ----TIME SELECTION----  that will only render the area you highlighted....   this is especially useful if you wanted to render something out of the middle of the song for instance... it won't have silence at beginning or end.

Set the Render window settings just like you like them... then SAVE AS a template.... Name it Rachel-SC-Time Selection   or something like that.... Next time you want to render a time selection just load that template when the window pops up.

Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #181 on: May 22, 2015, 03:14:30 am »
Rachel,,, earlier or somewhere I told you to re-record your vocals and take out all the you='chew' areas and replace them with straight clear 'you'.

I'm guessing you didn't or won't do that because other people do it and it's your natural thing and what you want to do... All perfectly fine and valid.

What I wanted you to experience though was the overall difference in the way it will make things sound. This is especially true with the character of your microphone/voice/room combination  that Scooter has spoken so much about.

I've found a song that demonstrates this. Notice they both sing you='chew' just as you do, and just as you probably want to do.

But... they have their mics and eq and whatever controlling the top end and can get by with it. Your top end is however out of control.... But now listen to Sheryl Crow and how much smoother she sounds when she sings 'you' = 'you'...

Also as a side item... I -think- you will find that as they sing that 'chew' it will land on a beat division and it's almost like those finger snaps or a snare drum hit. IOW, it functions as a tuned percussive effect as well as a speech inflection.

What I wanted you to experience for yourself was how your song and the overall 'mic sound' that you have can drastically change by you simply singing a bit differently.  This also ties into your "how long does it take" thread in that things can be worked on afterwards = less desired and $$$ or cured up front... more desired and less $. You and the various things you might know how to do are a function of the up front ( less $ ) part.

So listen to "You" at the 02:00 mark.. then especially at 02:19... then listen to all the you='chew" the rest of the song.

You really should experiment with this and listen to how your voice, with your mic, in your room would sound done both ways ...

That's not to say never sing you-'chew".. but rather learn some of the idiosyncrasies of your gear.

IOW, you could sing a demo nice and clean and try to get the least harsh sound so people would listen to it ... then in the studio, or with better gear, better engineering, use the more emotional enunciation and such that you truly want to impart.

IOW, it's not an either / or, it's a learning exercise and a 'horses for courses' presentation.

anyway, here's what i was trying to get you to give a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKFx0MMqb48

Gone

Offline Anniedog

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #182 on: August 13, 2015, 06:40:44 pm »
Hi Rachel
I'm new to this forum and a bit late for your post but if you don't mind I would like to add my 2 cents worth.
I have spent many years as a vocalist, musician and producer/engineer in my own studio.
Many things I learned by trial an lots of errors.
I use to try and wear all the hats on my own music . Even to the point of performing my own vocal while recording it and assessing it .
hos were my darkest moments !
You have a nice voice and a good song  a good song.
 In my humble opinion though what you needed prior to your mix was to have an objective vocal producer
work you through your vocal track.
it is obvious to me you have the voice to deliver an amazing vocal but in this case you did not.
Most vocalists ,including myself have the same issues.
What will work great on stage may not sound so great tracked once one hears it over and over again.
The vocal is so important it is much better if one does not have to tweak it a lot in the mix.
I would if I may suggest redoing the vocal with a very strict coach/vocal producer in the control room.
Leave any ego at home ,listen to what they say and wait for the results before you question method.
I bet you will be amazed at how good you will sound. Again you have a very nice voice and I only want you to get the best you can get out of it.
Respectfully
Anniedog ;D

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 86
« Reply #183 on: August 13, 2015, 06:44:01 pm »
Sounds like great advice to me.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 41
    • Official Website
« Reply #184 on: August 13, 2015, 07:55:01 pm »
...what you needed prior to your mix was to have an objective vocal producer
work you through your vocal track.
...suggest redoing the vocal with a very strict coach/vocal producer in the control room.

Thank you for your thoughts, Anniedog, I appreciate it!  I probably should redo that vocal anyway simply because I can sing it better (more controlled, I guess) now than I could then.  Could I make it even better?  Of course. 

My only question.... is where would I find an "objective vocal producer"?  There's about 4 vocal coaches within 30 minutes of me in any direction - the 2 I've worked with are theatre teachers and I don't think they are involved with songwriting at all.  It's a really great suggestion, I'm just not sure how to find someone like that.  Any thoughts?
Frontwoman of folk-rock band Lighting Matches
www.LightingMatches.weebly.com
www.Facebook.com/LightingMatchesMusic

Debut solo EP "Destination Sunday" (Rachel White)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App