Author Topic: Anyone want to mix a song for me?  (Read 21309 times)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
Re: Anyone want to mix a song for me?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 08:59:08 am »
Cheers.

I'll give it a quick mix, i.e. the quick mix approach.

If you're interested I'm willing to track live acoustic/#NoFilter (the EP by Courtney Cole) esque instrumentation for it. ;)
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
    • my guitar playing videos! =) check them out!
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 10:29:17 am »
Hearing some Cue intruments on it would be interesting, always good quality recordings from you.

I'd also like to hear why people like/dislike my mix btw, as I really want to learn about this stuff.  :)
My band on Facebook: Sandmarx
on youtube: SandmarxTube

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 10:47:46 am »
Hearing some Cue intruments on it would be interesting, always good quality recordings from you.

I'd also like to hear why people like/dislike my mix btw, as I really want to learn about this stuff.  :)

I like that you left the dynamics in the mix.
I don't like that the rhythm guitar is just on one side. To me it makes the soundstage sound lop-sided. There's also still a lot of that 2-5k nasal stuff... and that frequency isn't just predominant in the frequency spectrum, it's also much louder when she sings the notes associated with it. That's not the mix, it's vocal technique and the mic. I tried using multiband compression and eq on it as well as analog compression and it helped a bit, but It's really tough to fix because it's right in the middle of the presence range. For me, it's really difficult to mix just an acoustic guitar and single vocal. It's not really a genre that I work with much either. Vocals can sound really good when they're tracked well - even if there aren't a lot of other elements in the mix.. But I'm not used to not having some low end content - like drums and bass to fill out the mix.. This is an example of a mix that I did with just vocals, drums, tambourine, and keys:

Just having the low frequencies along with the vocal makes a huge difference IMO

I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
    • my guitar playing videos! =) check them out!
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 11:10:13 am »
@scooter: Omg now when I listen I hear so clearly that the rhythm is alot more heavy to the left. How did I miss that. It was not my intention. Thanks for feedback dude.
My band on Facebook: Sandmarx
on youtube: SandmarxTube

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2015, 11:15:45 am »
Thanks marcus!

What I didn't like in your mix was the reverb for the most part (too much). But then again, reverb is very easy to overdo and I've been known to do that as well.
Production and mixing

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 11:21:32 am »
Thanks marcus!

What I didn't like in your mix was the reverb for the most part (too much). But then again, reverb is very easy to overdo and I've been known to do that as well.

Most people who listen to bluegrass don't like reverb/delay. If they had their way, they'd only play outdoor shows. I think it's a subjective thing.. I hate dry mixes and tend to use the reverb and delay to blend things together. I'm sure you hate my mixes.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 12:27:25 pm »
I use reverb and delay just as much, but tend to place it a little lower in the mix. Like in the sense that you don't really hear it unless you turn it off.

Then again, I come from EDM music and that sometimes manifests itself in my production choices as well as mixing in the sense that I may use reverbs and intricate (multi)delays sometimes (so more as an effect than anything else).

I've also listened to many demo recordings which I've come to like, as well as live acoustic approaches i.e. not live per say but having a similar tone and instrumentation.
Production and mixing

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2015, 12:45:13 pm »
I use reverb and delay just as much, but tend to place it a little lower in the mix. Like in the sense that you don't really hear it unless you turn it off.

That works on some things.. but I can't really imagine a song like this mixed that dry:

Wish I could afford a Bricasti

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2015, 03:09:47 pm »
Hi Hollywood

I wouldn't mind having a go at mixing your song. I'd like to add some drums and bass. if you have no objection let me know the bpm and the chord progression. My transcribing skills are awful and if you want it by the 22nd I'll need to take some short-cuts.

Thanks,

diadem

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2015, 06:47:44 pm »
Hey Rachel,

I'll have a go at this if you want to send me the tracks. I am pretty inexperienced with the whole mixing thing and I doubt my finished product will be close to the quality of the others, but I'll give it a shot!  :)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2015, 10:39:43 pm »
Hi Hollywood

I wouldn't mind having a go at mixing your song. I'd like to add some drums and bass. if you have no objection let me know the bpm and the chord progression. My transcribing skills are awful and if you want it by the 22nd I'll need to take some short-cuts.

Thanks,

diadem

Rachel, if you do that, you could post me a link too.
Gone

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 41
    • Official Website
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2015, 11:59:35 pm »
Rachel, if you do that, you could post me a link too.

I'm not sure what you mean, TB.
Frontwoman of alt-rock band Lighting Matches - debut album "Against The Flame"
www.LightingMatchesMusic.com
www.Facebook.com/LightingMatchesMusic

Debut solo EP "Destination Sunday" (Rachel White)

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2015, 12:56:26 am »
I think TB was asking for a link to the tracks (and possibly for the bpm, key, chord progressions etc. which are always helpful).

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2015, 09:38:57 am »
104 BPM in A major is what I got.
Production and mixing

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2015, 01:26:56 am »
OK, this is my first attempt, done quite quickly due to lack of time.

For the vocals, I doubled up for the choruses. Hollywood sent two versions of the vocals across and when I was comparing them panned hard left and right, I kinda liked the effect, so I kept it, although doesn't quite work in a few places.

I did a bit of EQ on the guitar doing the arpeggiations, and it came out sounding a bit like an electric piano, which I also liked.

I've added a basic bassline as it felt a bit empty without it. I also think it might benefit from some percussion, but it needs to be subtle. My thought is some light snare work with brushes, but that's not something I can do.

I've also not really had time to consider mastering it as whole, so it might not be as balanced as it could be.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App