Author Topic: Anyone want to mix a song for me?  (Read 16062 times)

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 41
    • Official Website
Anyone want to mix a song for me?
« on: May 07, 2015, 02:15:51 am »
Edit: Actually, I think the main one I could use some help on is the vocal.  So if anyone has a few minutes to do just one track for me, that would be amazing.

The song I posted a few days ago - "Good Kind of Criminal" - I redid the vocals and lead guitar tracks, and I think they're as good as I can get them at home.  I've been working on mixing it myself, but I'm sure some of you guys can do a lot better with it than I can right now.  So if anyone is interested in giving it a go (especially anyone who can do it within the next day or 2), let me know and I'll PM you the individual tracks.

Thanks!
Rachel
Frontwoman of folk-rock band Lighting Matches
www.LightingMatches.weebly.com
www.Facebook.com/LightingMatchesMusic

Debut solo EP "Destination Sunday" (Rachel White)

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
Re: Anyone want to mix a song for me?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 08:11:03 pm »
Do You Have anyone helping you with this yet Rachel?
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 41
    • Official Website
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 01:26:10 am »
Nope, not yet.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 04:14:11 am »
I couldn't do it in your time frame.... also I didn't know what you meant about just mix one track.

I'm trying in my spare time to get this new board set up and going with Reaper so if you want to post them I might could use them to test things. It would be nice to have a chord chart if I wanted to play along or whatever.

I thought Cue mentioned something about wanting to mix and play along with it as well or maybe that was another song?

I can't impress upon you enough how you will get more people working with you if you make it as easy and informative as possible for them.

Tracks you have
Chord chart
Key sig.
BPM
Song notes that might be helpful
Things you want to learn or want fixed or how to get right so they don't need to be fixed, etc.

The documentation is known a s track sheet... they can be minimal or rather complex.
Here is one example...
http://tubular.net/gallery/FMOTrackSheet.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlqOloVS-as

But take a look at this... this is something you could do and share. Others could easily add to it for anything they offered. Notice how each instrument tells you specifically what it's doing and when and in some cases why..... look at tracks 19 and 20
"more intense guitar" and "synth answering guitar"
https://tropicaltheartist.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/track-sheet.png

After looking at that, how many people here, even beginners, would have some idea what to do at bar 37........ I hope they see it has something to do with Bb.... that's the kind of organized you need to be.

It helps others understand what you are doing. It helps you understand what you are doing and it helps plug their bit into the framework or alter the framework in such a manner that everyone knows what is going on.

Gone

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
    • my guitar playing videos! =) check them out!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 10:34:16 am »
I'd be happy to try!  :)
My band on Facebook: Sandmarx
on youtube: SandmarxTube

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 04:46:47 am »
That would be great Marcus!

I got a bit of time to work on it today. I'll try to get back to it later.
https://soundcloud.com/scooter-trash/rachels-song

Below is your mix for reference:
https://soundcloud.com/livinonaprayer/acoustic-demo-version-4

It'd be great if some others would take a stab at it too!
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
    • my guitar playing videos! =) check them out!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 02:58:12 pm »
Alright Hollywood, I did some quick stuff with your song now:

Basicly I have done:
-A little bit of Eq on everything, just small adjustments. Tried to make vocal a little less nasal, and give it slightly more presence.
-Just a tad of reverb here and there.
-Some panning of the guitars.
-Volume adjustments obviously.

What else I COULD do:
-Go through the tracks and remove the sounds of you shifting in your chair while not playing etc :P but that is hard to hear anyway and takes time and is really boring to do.
-Buy and send you a private jet and fly you to norway and record the vocals again with in my rehearsal room, because although its not bad I have a strong feeling you are able to do it better!

Anyway, this is subjective, give it a listen, and tell me what you think. I dont know what/when you need this for, if there is a deadline, but if there is time I can try to make adjustments after your comments. If you are at all interested.
My band on Facebook: Sandmarx
on youtube: SandmarxTube

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 41
    • Official Website
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 05:05:53 pm »
Responded to the messages before I saw this thread.

Thank you both for giving it a go!  It's interesting to me how completely different all 3 sound just from the mixing.  Almost need to combine them both - I like different things about each one.  :)

Deadline is really just ASAP, though May 22nd is the absolute latest.  The sooner I can get it out, the sooner the person it's written about might hear it.  :D

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 08:59:38 pm »
Did you post the tracks somewhere? To be honest though I would lean towards what Marcus did.

I keep thinking another, different, in combo with... lead melody instrument might be nice.

Gone

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 09:08:10 pm »
To be honest though I would lean towards what Marcus did.

No real sense in me finishing mine then.. Can't wait to hear what you come up with TB.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 09:36:21 pm »
Why would you finishing what you are doing have anything to do with what little I might have time to do?

I was simply thinking out loud... I would like to hear more instruments but time would not allow for that on this one, so I would probably just end up with a minimalist mix.

Can't say I can see where any of that has anything to do with what you are doing or might do.

ETA: Rachel... after listening again....at first I thought about a flute... then thought what if you got Cue to play a mandolin line that is unison notes with the lead guitar melody. Like imagine Scooters melody guitar with a mandolin behind it but maybe both together not so bold but more wistful and introductory... later they could trade or play unison and perhaps be more or less up front.. Just a thought.

Gone

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 10:23:35 pm »
Why would you finishing what you are doing have anything to do with what little I might have time to do?

It has nothing to do with what you might do. I just figured that if you like Marcus's mix better there's really not much sense in me working on it anymore because I was going a completely different direction and have been very busy working on my Website and building a computer for my Dad, and trying to learn a song while software updates are being done. My goal was mainly to get rid of the 5k on the vocal that sounded to me like nails on a chalkboard and to smooth out the vocal dynamics a bit and balance the soundstage so that the instruments weren't pulling the mix to one side or the other. I figure I'm more likely to get criticism than a  Karma point for my efforts, so I'll just go back to working on the other projects that I have been trying to finish.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 11:26:10 pm »
Again.... Marcus said he did a quick, minimalist mix. You said yours was unfinished. I wasn't picking a "liked best". I just said  I probably wouldn't be able to do anything beyond a minimalist mix  ( like Marcus ) even though, I would like to hear more instruments and more polish and production ( but time most likely will not allow ).

Nothing more... hadn't given a thought to what I liked and didn't like aside from the number of instruments present.
Gone

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 86
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 11:40:26 pm »
I would've had a go at it if I didn't miss it. :P

Personally, the original is still my favorite, but of course its all subjective. I like it that much because I don't think it needs all that much more than what it already has.

LIke TB, I'd like to smash some production time into this one, but may actually have time to squeeze some of that time amongst the other projects that suddenly started taking off.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 41
    • Official Website
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 12:15:54 am »
Cue - just sent you a message.

I've just been sending the tracks to people via private message when someone wants to give it a shot.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App