Author Topic: Which Uke?  (Read 3285 times)

Offline Robiniho

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
Which Uke?
« on: April 27, 2015, 02:38:29 pm »
I watch Mighty Uke on sky arts today and I have to say it was fairly inspirational and I kind of fancy getting one now, any recommendations at all? is it necesary to pay out big bucks or will a cheapish or mid-priced do you if you're not gonna take it very seriously?

Cheers...

Offline swilson98

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Which Uke?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 04:50:34 pm »
Someone bought me a $20 Mahalo Painted Uke (soprano) and it did surprisingly well. Someone sat on it and it snapped I got another one really cheap, which is great! If you're going to take it seriously, you could pay just a bit more for a nice Kala soprano, unless you were looking for a different kind.

The night I got this thing, I practically played all night. It's loads of fun and quite easy. Eventually I tired out , so now I only play it occasionally, but it's definitely worth the small price.

Offline Fweezal

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 04:54:33 pm »
Check out a Lanakai.  Well-made, nice sound, and easy-to-play.  I got a tenor.

<><~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gary
Guild D-140CE ~ Ovation C2078AX

Hebrews 13:3    ~~    i-am-n

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 09:37:17 pm »
Check out the Octopus brand on amazon. I got one recently for £20 . I get the impression its the quality of the strings and tuning pegs that make the difference on the budget models.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage 05
Yamaha FG700MS, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Jamman Looper
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline CatDaddy2

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 05:36:27 am »
Someone bought me a $20 Mahalo Painted Uke (soprano) and it did surprisingly well. Someone sat on it and it snapped I got another one really cheap, which is great! If you're going to take it seriously, you could pay just a bit more for a nice Kala soprano, unless you were looking for a different kind.

The night I got this thing, I practically played all night. It's loads of fun and quite easy. Eventually I tired out , so now I only play it occasionally, but it's definitely worth the small price.

it depends what size and sound you want

the smallest is soprano then concert then tenor then barritone
and you can use different tunings just like a guitar per say for different sounds such as low g

my main instrument is acoustic guitar but i also been thinking of getting on too of of that famous bidding site, they say the tenor is great, i think for just starting out one should go for a well built mid price range with mahogany wood, i really like rosewood fretboards
-CatDaddy-

Offline Andrea

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 08:06:55 pm »
I bought a Mahalo UK320C which is a concert size. Purchase price online is around AUD$80 but I paid $100 in the shop. It would cost the extra in postage. Then I think paid far too much for the clip on tuner, though it is a good little thing. Its a d'aggio or whatever.

Anyway I got a massive sales pitch done on me but I am generally happy with the result. The salesman is a polished uke player and has been selling them for many years. 

I had done a fair bit of online research before i went to the music shop but the salesman contradicted just about everything I had learnt from my research. So buying my uke was somewhat traumatic. Even though I left the shop before coming back to buy it, I felt very pressured but then again, the guy was an expert and on the whole his arguments seemed pretty fair.

One of the reasons I went ahead and bought it was because of his standing in the local uke community. He told me about some regular jams and now I go along most Sundays to play with about 20 others. It's so much fun and when I'm there, although i can't hear the sound i'm making, everything seems to flow pretty well with my rhythm hand and i'm challenged to play chords I haven't learned yet.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 83
    • Ezyo Pourchez
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 11:16:04 pm »
I have a €24 uke. I never play it. I've considered getting a better one with a piezo, since piezos sound exceptional on nylon string instruments. But I never did, simply because I don't even play the cheap one I have.

I just have a lot of trouble taking the uke seriously I guess. And it's not its size either, since I own a mandolin which I consider to be one of the nicest instruments in the world. :P
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline mmmbert

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 11:19:23 pm »
I have a Kala soprano and it is nice. Stays in tune well, about $60 usd, seems well worth it.. I bought a Rogue brand to give my young grandaughter something to play with for about 30 usd, I think, and it isn't even worth that. Cheap tuners, pretty much junk. If it was the first one I had I would have never played.

I got a good buy on a Cordoba concert uke on Ebay and it is very nice. Was a little less than 100usd.

There is another thread on here somewhere that I am pretty sure that I posted a link to a site that gives a lot of information about ukes if you can find it.

From my limited experience and research Kala is a brand that is good quality and value.

I have a blast with mine.

Offline mmmbert

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 11:23:56 pm »

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 09:47:07 am »
Octopus Uke's get a pretty good right up for a cheap start. Mine is nice, stays in tune and has okay strings that come with it. If you just want to get a start it might be an option.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage 05
Yamaha FG700MS, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Jamman Looper
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline Dv

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 02:52:13 am »
I am a newby to this instrument.  The reason for the Uke is because it is very portable and I will have NO problem taking it on the plane with me.  I travel alot.
Any suggestions on a GOOD beginner model, a Maton, a Kala or something else and which model?
Thanks from Canada

Offline mmmbert

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 03:27:43 am »
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=37199.0

A lot of discussion here, plus a link to a site with a lot of info.

This thread will likely get moved to a more appropriate place.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App