Author Topic: Guitar Challenge 0002 - Swamp Jam  (Read 11200 times)

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 77
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
    • my guitar playing videos! =) check them out!
Re: Guitar Challenge 0002 - Swamp Jam
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 08:14:02 am »
@scooter: Thanks bro!  8)
Cool tone, something different! Nice playing with the track too imo.

@Kasper:
always a pleasure listening to you play bro. Solid playing, cool notes.  This kind of thing always gets noodly  ;D . I have a bad habit of when in doubt of what to play I start going fast, and then its not grooving with the track, and it ends up as a vortex of fast xx--xx lol

My band on Facebook: Sandmarx
on youtube: SandmarxTube

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2015, 09:31:28 pm »
@josh:
Thanks! Good ear mate!
Yeah, I made a real effort to try to step outside the minor pentatonic box for this one. I thought I could hear some cool harmonies in the backing track melody that called for some more "quirky" riffs than a straight blues.

I think I was mostly in E minor pentatonic and E Dorian (especially played around the added 6th there). But I also used the added notes from the Blues scale, and knowning myself, I almost certainly also added notes from the natural minor scale (Aolian) mode. Actually, usually when I think I'm playing in minor pentatonic - I'm almost always using Aolian instead. Love those two extra notes over a minor sound ;)

Also tried to use some arpeggios.... but I'm not good at that yet ;)

Actually all of the above is still a bit hard for me, so I can hear a lot of unsure playing and stuttering in my track... but it was good for learning and practicing!

@markus:
I thought your take on the song was super cool!

But I know exactly what you mean about noodling and speeding up. I also tend to play a bit too fast for my own good when I'm unsure what to do. The best thing I took away from Justins lessons was the advice to write down clear and specific goals for your daily practice routine. What I wrote for myself was:

1. Play with better control of the instrument.
 2. Play less notes, play slower, play better quality notes and bends.

Still working on those two goals - along with the totally conflicting goals of being better at alternate picking, learning to sweep and all the other rock cliche technique. Can't resist the urge to shred, just a little ;)

Offline Josh Vualk Fowler

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 27
  • Diligence breeds perfection.
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 09:17:36 pm »
I told everyone i would do this and never did.

Sorry for the feedback my recording setup is not optimal at the moment... .But heres what i got turn down the volume so you dont smash your ears lol... there are some bumps where im moving around that get caught on the record lol....

https://soundcloud.com/josh-vualk-fowler/myswampjam

I want a cool image forum signature :)

Offline Crossbow

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
    • Crossbow's
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2015, 10:56:59 pm »
Good job done Josh... Was wondering what happen to ya..  Now you have another one to catch up with that I posted couple weeks ago..LOL

Offline Josh Vualk Fowler

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 27
  • Diligence breeds perfection.
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2015, 10:59:54 pm »
Good job done Josh... Was wondering what happen to ya..  Now you have another one to catch up with that I posted couple weeks ago..LOL

Which one is that?
I want a cool image forum signature :)

Offline Dude42

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2015, 09:25:18 am »
Hey guys, I thought I would make an attempt at this one. I had meant to do it sooner but kind of got distracted. Better late than never I suppose. You guys all rocked. I know mine isn't as good but thanks for listening anyway.

https://soundcloud.com/zachery-cross/dudeswampjam

My nice tube amp is in the other room not with my recording stuff atm (I'm in the process of getting another PC just for recording in the back room) so in the meantime I'm just using Amplitube 3 to record. So I apologize in advance for the terrible modeling sound.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 08:59:30 am by close2u »
PRS SE Custom 24 - Bugera 333 - Peavey 6505 4x12

Offline Crossbow

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
    • Crossbow's
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2015, 09:25:15 pm »
Nice Dude. Glad to hear you gave it a shot and joined in the fun with us.

Offline useDraW

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2020, 01:16:20 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWUY-FbS0KM i did this one last month, but was not sure whether to upload it or not, how is it? i tried to go for an authentic chicago blues sound, anyone have tips for that?
21 yo noisemaker/musician, been playing guitar for 12'ish years... "when you get to a point where you think "wow, i suck at this.. but i don't care" that's when you really improve." -useDraW-

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2020, 06:49:55 am »
Enjoyed that jam.  Not a deep enough student of the blues to comment on how "Chicago" it was.

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 77
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2020, 06:17:36 pm »
@useDraW: Many very cool jazzy runs there! Nice! 8)

So I was looking through a few topics here, and saw I posted a jam in this thread more than 5 years ago, which I have absolutely no memory of.
Curious, I clicked the link, it was still live and I listened. And cringed.
Not because of very bad technical playing (but it's not fantastic either all the time lol), but because of the showboating, with no regard for the actual tempo and rhythm of the song.
I decided I would challenge myself to sit down, turn the gain down, feel the music, and see what difference 5 years can make.

Hopefully this is less "How can I play every single solo excercise I've practiced with a metronome this month" and more "How can this piece of music be made even better by adding my guitar".

I atleast found this interesting, maybe you all are like "Why is this random dude on the internet posting the same jam twice and writing an essay about it" ;D

(Just for the record, I'm still showboating - but trying to do it in rhythm now  ::) )

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 231
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2020, 07:55:17 pm »
well done Marcus. glad to see you back posting. Keep Rockin  8)

Not showboating when you have the talent to back it up.
And you defiantly have the talent.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2020, 07:47:42 am »
Marcus, for me personally this is a "welcome back to the Community" moment, as somebody who is a joiner post the times when you were learning and making friendships here, that carry on and pick up like you were never away with those folk. So welcome back and I hope you'll become active again, posting your music and contributing; as you said in another post, I am sure you have a lot to offer folk setting off on the adventure to become guitarists of whatever ilk takes their fancy. Dear me, a bit of a long intro, on to your jam ...

That was great. You certainly achieved your goal and your playing complimented the backing. I thought the tone, the licks, the feel all worked wonderfully.

Nearly all ... there was a short passage towards the end.  Showboating means different things to different people.  So for me, that portion when you whizzed up and down felt a bit shreddy for shredding sake (I have another expression I use when getting that sense but I think Richard would frown on me and mod my post, so will save him the trouble and keep it to myself).

And then you went back to the earlier vibe to wind up the jam, which for me was a good move.

But I am no master player or musician ...

If I had to comment in a single sentence then my comment would be "Fabulous ... a little Robert Cray blended with Albert Collins ... bring on more of this good stuff"

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 586
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2020, 08:19:19 am »
Ah Marcus ... what a great return to the sharing audio / video part of the forum.

... I listened. And cringed.
... because of the showboating, with no regard for the actual tempo and rhythm of the song.

Very interesting self evaluation of your own playing with the separation of time and experience.
I think many intermediate and on players could benefit if they heed this concept.

... Hopefully this is ... "How can this piece of music be made even better by adding my guitar".

And that philosophy, imho, should inform the majority of guitar solos. Unless a solo is being played as a lengthy jam, virtuoso piece or consciously being used to showcase (show boat maybe) then it needs to add to the piece of music or it is not serving a wider purpose.

(Just for the record, I'm still showboating - but trying to do it in rhythm now  ::) )

lol

I did go back and listen to the 2015 version after hearing this new version.
In 2015 there was a lot of technical prowess and in 2020 there was a lot of restraint.
What I like about your new one is the recurring motifs and musical themes you set up, vary, return to and play around with.
In my inner ear I can imagine that this is an excerpt from a song and that you have taken the vocal melody as a start point, reiterated it and spun variations on it. Especially the first 30-40 seconds of your lead play. That gives you a platform for some fireworks before returning to your theme towards the end which creates a natural transition back in to the vocal section you have been reflecting.
Cool stuff.
And great to see you back here.
:)

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2020, 08:44:57 am »
Hey Marcus,

Long time no see :)
I really liked this newest version of the jam. I actually remember this jam track, it has some interesting changes and you're targeting the chord tones nicely in this solo. Great stuff!

Kasper

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 77
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2020, 05:40:34 pm »
@stitch101: Thanks!  :)

@DavidP: Thank you! Yeah, people here are so helpful and nice, I'm sure there is no better place on the web for starting a guitar-journey! People always explain even the simplest questions in great detail. I'm sorry to say I have not heard those two guitarists before, but started listening to them right now  8)

@close2u: Thank you, it's good to see you are still at it. I browsed some topics, and whenever I saw a title where I thought I could help, you had already given a perfect easy to understand answer full of details.  :D Maybe we should make a topic "for those who have played 10+ years, what advice would you give to yourself the day you started" or something.

@KasperFauerby: Thanks dude, when I see your name I think of great quality, both playing and recording, so I was sad to see that your link here was dead (And almost everyone elses too  :( ) But I'm sure you have and will have lots of more good stuff  8)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App