Author Topic: Summer of 69  (Read 6697 times)

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
Re: Summer of 69
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 11:59:14 pm »
Sounding good.

To avoid the sound of sliding fingers up and down, I use 6th and 5th string PCs at the fifth fret for A and D respectively. I find it easier than sliding up and down 6th string only, although 5th string PCs aren't mentioned until the next stage.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 12:57:39 am »
Palm muting is too heavy, and you'e deviating from the rhythm, sounds like you're concentrating too much on the muting.

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 01:53:46 am »
It's closer than previous versions, but as Drubbing said some work is still needed. The muting did seem a bit too heavy, so try sliding your hand back towards the bridge just slightly to get a little less damping.

Also, listen to the original and note the rhythm in the verses. You seemed to be muting all but one strum in each section, whereas the original track has a couple strums unmuted. Kind of like this, if you're playing all down strums (D is not muted, d is palm muted, and (D) is slightly muted):

(D5)
D d d D d d d d d d d d d d (D) d

(A5)
D d d D d d d d d d d d d d (D) d

I hope I got the right number of strums in there, but you're basically playing 8th note downstrums with everything palm muted except for those 3 notes. I put the last "un-muted" strum in parentheses because it's a little less aggressive than the others.

Anyways, hopefully that explanation was somewhat clear. It's cool to switch things up and play covers a little different from the original, but I feel like this is one of those songs where that palm-muted rhythm part is critical to making it sound like "Summer of '69." A little more practice and you should have it down!

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 02:06:55 am »
You got to listen. Counting strums is no way to feel a rhythm. The first recordings were better, as the rhythm was clearly audible and close to what is played.

I also don't understand why there are any string slide in the last recording. If you're playing power chords, you're going from the 5th string to the 6th in the same fret. If playing the open chords version, you're going from D to A. There's no fretboard slide involved.

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 02:15:36 am »
I agree that 'feeling' the rhythm is the way to go, but it does take a while to develop and I think that counting can help in some instances. The reason I posted the strums above was to give a more visual explanation of the rhythm, and to show generally where the muted and un-muted notes fall.

As to the sliding, you *could* have a slide if you play the A5 chord open on the 5th string. I find it a heck of a lot easier to play both power chords at the 5th fret, though. If I'm playing it acoustic I will sometimes play open D and open A shapes so I can throw in some embellishments here and there on the high strings.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 02:41:13 am »
Well, he had the rhythm down better when just strumming. I don't know why that is hard to transpose to muting.

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2015, 03:25:08 am »
That's true, the rhythm was better in the previous versions. I'd imagine that is due to trying to think about PM technique as well as the rhythm. Trying to incorporate a new technique takes some time, so I'm sure some additional practice will sort things out.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2015, 06:52:45 am »
Cheers guys and Id agree with most of your comments. Definitely thinking about the pm so id guess that is probably impacting the rhythm. Some good suggestions and I need to clearly get some more practice in on this one.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline Boobook

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2015, 11:51:15 am »
Enjoying watching the progression of this one. Keep 'em coming!  8)

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2015, 01:11:52 pm »
Hi Rossco,
One thing that might be worth thinking about regarding palm muting is that your up against a tough one I think in trying to learn how to do it on this song. I mean even if you had been palm muting for a while it would be hard to do this song with the strumming pattern it has. One thing is for sure, if you can master this song you most likely be in good shape palm muting wise. Possibly if you know another song, even one that does not use palm muting at all, but one that you know real well and can play well without thinking about it too much. Then you could try the technique there and prefect it. One to try might be the 12 bar blues..... pretty easy and the song might afford you good practice on it. Once you get it down on that, then you will be better equipped to take on the Summer of 69. Just another way of looking at how to crack this nut. Either way I bet you will learn the technique and be better off playing wise. Good luck and take care,

LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2015, 01:39:09 pm »
Good point Lbro and an approach I was considering..... On the basis that I may have bitten off more than I expected trying to learn the song, with PCs and applying PM...  Still nice to try for a bit of stretch
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2015, 01:57:47 pm »
Good point Lbro and an approach I was considering..... On the basis that I may have bitten off more than I expected trying to learn the song, with PCs and applying PM...  Still nice to try for a bit of stretch

I have been doing both power chords and palm muting for some time and am pretty comfortable with both. May not sound it but I feel that way. Yet I can see where I would have to really practice to pull s69 off and have it sound right. However it might be true that if you think about it you are learning possibly more than 3 things at once. PC, PM, the song itself and what I consider a tough strumming pattern. So my suggestion might make sense or at least is worth thinking about.

All the best to you keep on rockin,
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 12:10:27 am »
I also don't understand why there are any string slide in the last recording.

Summer of 69 is in the BSB as a stage 7 song, which is when only 6th string power chords are introduced. 5th string power chords don't get introduced until stage 8, so if you're following the beginners course, then it's quite feasible you'll think to stick to the 6th string.
I suspect So69 was chosen for the reason you can play it using relatively basic techniques, but keep going back to it and applying more advanced techniques learnt in later stages.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 12:56:59 am »
I see. Then that's where I think the BC has a small flaw.

Sliding from 5-10 fret to play A and D is far trickier than staying in 5 and accessing the same chords there, this method also helps keep the rhythm far easier. I think it's way easier to drop down a PC shape one string, than move it halfway up and down the neck. Personally, I call such a big fretboard move a more advanced technique than learning 6 and 5th string root poet chords.

Roscco can also play the tune with open A and D and will only need the B, F and C power chord.

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2015, 01:32:16 am »
I agree that the slide from frets 5-10 makes the song a bit trickier. If the jump from 5th to 6th string roots is too much at this point, you could try it with open D and A. If you either mute the higher strings or focus your strums to only hit the bottom 3 strings of each chord, you will be playing the same notes. I play it with open chords sometimes, and it makes the jump to Bm a little smaller when transitioning to the chorus.

Whatever you decide, this is a good opportunity to work on a few common techniques and will definitely help you out down the road.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App