Author Topic: m_c Learning Progress ... continued from Beginner's Thread  (Read 3489 times)

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
m_c Learning Progress ... continued from Beginner's Thread
« on: March 21, 2015, 10:07:06 pm »
Now I finally have functioning broadband, here's a couple I just recorded.

First up is California Dreamin'. If it wasn't for Rolandson's attempts at this, I would of just ignored it, and I think I've just about got it. It stops just before the solo section, as my mind went completely blank at that point, as it quite often does at random parts of this song.

https://soundcloud.com/morayguitar/20150321-californiadreamin

Second up is Hurt. I really like this song, although I stumbled a couple times while recording it. It's songs like these I'm almost tempted to buy an acoustic, but you'll have to put up with it on the Strat :)
My chorus to verse transition isn't quite there yet, but I wasn't going to spend all night trying to record a perfect version!
Quick Edit - I've condensed it down a bit, as the verse gets a bit tedious with no vocals!
    https://soundcloud.com/morayguitar/20150321-hurt

And last up, just for a bit of fun with distortion, here's a little bit Fly Away, which highlights I need to lift fingers a bit more during changes.
    https://soundcloud.com/morayguitar/20150321-flyaway

Offline chix2

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 61
    • Loros charity with my song on it
Re: m_c Learning Progress ... continued from Beginner's Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 10:25:02 pm »
@m_c

california dreamin was good

hurt it sounded ok on electric, yes there was as you mentioned the transition needs bit work an there was little imperfection on the start of the second verse. but good effort

fly away out of the 3 song you presented this one needs the most work on it

how long you been playing m_c?

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 12:32:56 am »
Cheers, chix.

I'm happy I managed to get California Dreamin that good. It's quite an intensive song, given the spectrum of things that you need to get right for the song to come together, especially for a beginner.

In terms of playing, on and off for nearly 20 years, but only truly started learning and progressing properly since starting the BC around Christmas.

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 08:32:28 pm »
I've had a pretty lazy day, so after far too much noodling throughout the day, here's this evenings recordings.

First up is the latest recording of Caliornia Dreamin, which suffered from a bit of red button anxiety, but mistakes are reasonably minimal.
    https://soundcloud.com/morayguitar/20150406-californiadremin2new

Second is one of my favourite songs, Hey Soul Sister. I can just about play in time with the actual track, but opted for a bit more relaxed pace for this recording.
    https://soundcloud.com/morayguitar/20150406-heysoulsister

I did spend a little bit time playing with pick-up position, tone, volume and strumming technique, and I think the tone is better than previous recordings. The biggest improvement I feel was down to strumming technique, and concentrating more on the higher strings.

Offline chix2

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 61
    • Loros charity with my song on it
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 09:23:26 pm »
good work Mc

the tone is much brighter on both, improved on already good California dreaming. i don't know hey soul sister track thought but good playing there too. that good progress if you can almost play along with the actual track  then all seems to be coming along very nicely well done

chix

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 10:55:24 pm »
Thanks chix.

I think I'm going to file away California Dreaming now, as I feel I've reached the point where I've polished it as well as I can for the moment, and my time would be better spend pushing my limits on something new.

I know my practise routine has been rubbish lately, so I'm going to concentrate on the IM and get back into a good practise routine again.

I'm a lot happier with the tone. I usually practise without plugging in, so this was the first time I'd experimented with the strumming while plugged in, and I was surprised just how much difference strumming technique makes once plugged in.

Offline ravenclaw4

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 02:21:09 pm »
Hey :) California dreamin' sounded very nice! It flowed very well, and had the soulful,heart felt kind of vibe about it that made it very beautiful.

Hurt was also very nice. As said before the transition needs a bit of work, but the actual playing was lovely. Nice job!

Fly away was also good, the quality itself was great. Like Chix said, thats probably the one that needs the most work. If you could manage to get it flowing nicely, without the stops, i think it would sound awesome! But the actual playing is very good :)

Altogether, good job xx
'Don't trust a song that's flawless'- twenty one pilots

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 10:24:18 pm »
I'm fully aware I've been noodling far too much lately, but the noodling has mostly involved songs I already know, and working on the little bits I struggle with. I also have this habit of going to only noodle for 5 minutes to get warmed up, which quickly extends to nearer 30  ::)

Anyway, dug out the audio interface tonight, and first up is Hurt. I'm quite happy with this, as this attempt involved keeping time with a beat, and I feel the transitions are better than the previous version.

https://soundcloud.com/morayguitar/20150420-hurt

That was followed by a few attempts at Summer of 69, which I think is tolerable. It's certainly not perfect as I was getting tired by that point.
    https://soundcloud.com/morayguitar/20150420-summer69

Offline Cataract

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 11:12:11 pm »
Good job! I really liked Hurt (Summer of 69 little less, but I'm not a huge fan of muted chords :D). Keep rocking!

Offline Boobook

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 10:58:59 am »
Both recordings are pretty good! I also think Hurt was the better of the two, you captured the feel of the song and the changes and rhythm were pretty well  spot on. Great work  :).

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 62
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 12:33:10 pm »
Both very good MC with Hurt being the much better of the too. I've never given Hurt ago but looking at the chords it doesn't look too bad. I like summer of 69 but as you'll have seen from my few initial recordings struggled with it a bit and have put it down for a while....the challenge of getting it better will get me back to it at some point. I'm not sure I'm a great fan of palm muting but I think you got the opening chords sounding okay on 69 its the chorus rhythm that doesn't sound quite so right and needs a bit of work. Really good progress though.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage 05
Yamaha FG700MS, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Jamman Looper
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 11:04:13 pm »
Cheers guys.
Hurt is one of the songs I've put a fair bit of time into, as I enjoy listening to and playing it.
I can also manage to play it along with the track, which is also a nice bonus, however I cut the verses short for recording, as it does get monotonous playing the same two bars for 12 and 10 times.

So69, I've never really concentrated on, but quite like it as a finish to any practise time just to get a bit power chord/palm muting action going (also gives me an excuse to get some distortion dialled in!). I'm probably going to spend a bit time on it over the next couple weeks, as I'd quite like it in my playable collection.

Rossco, the hardest part of Hurt, is the transition from chorus to verse. I've spent the past few weeks just going from a couple bars of the verse to chorus and back again, just to nail the pumping 8s to A string pick. However you can cheat, either by missing the final strum, or delaying the Am pick/pick/strum sequence as you've got a couple rest beats after the Am sequence and then get back on the correct beat for the C/D sequence.

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 09:40:54 pm »
Hmmm..so 6 months since the last update :-/
It's been a very much a roller coaster summer for me. Managed to get pneumonia in May, which floored me for several months due to exhaustion, and it's only over the past couple months that I've been getting back to pre-May fitness levels. Don't think I've ever slept so much in my life than I did during May and June.
Guitar time has been very minimal, with just the occasional play around.

I've been wanting to get back into some kind of proper practice routine, but been lacking the motivation, however after hearing Reality by Lost Frequencies and discovering how easy the chords are, it's given me some motivation to finally put some effort in to percussive beats.

Got the 2i2 uncovered tonight, so first up was a quick bit fingerstyle in the form of Fast Car. Certainly no where near perfect, as the tempo was just a bit fast for my comfort zone and I need to work on avoiding extra string noise -
    https://soundcloud.com/morayguitar/20151025-fastcarfingeronly

Then onto some Reality-
    https://soundcloud.com/morayguitar/20151025-reality
Was a bit tired by that point, so it's not that long and stops at the point I fluffed a chord change!

Hopefully it won't be as long before the next update..

Offline Boobook

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 11:27:59 am »
Hi m_c, good to see you back, I had wondered where you had got to. Pneumonia can't have been much fun! Glad to hear you're on the mend now though.

Both tracks sounded pretty good. Fast car was a little rusty around the edges as you said but nothing a bit of practice can't fix. I liked your percussive rhythm on Reality, that flowed nicely. I dont know the original, I'll have to go look it up now :).

Welcome back, and hopefully we'll be hearing some more of you soon :).

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 12:46:38 am »
Hey Boo,
it's good to be back!
I'd almost forgotten how relaxing it is to sit down with the guitar and ignore everything else for a while, although hitting that red button does seem to quite quickly remove the relaxation part..

Just realised I never mentioned Reality is by Lost Frequencies.
I'd like to master the intro, however it may be a step too far for now.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App