Author Topic: BS-401 • Killing Me Softly With His Song - (Roberta Flack / Fugees)  (Read 25337 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 01:56:14 pm by Indigo »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

airfisch

Re: BS-401 • Killing Me Softly With His Song - (Roberta Flack / Fugees)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 07:44:00 pm »
Hi,

...I really like this song and it´s no problem to play it with the strumming pattern Justin showed in the video. Now I tried to do something like Justin mentioned at the end of the video (picking...apreggios?)

So far not very sucessful... ::)
Maybe someone can help me with a Tab or a new idea how I can get this sound Justin performed at the end...would be great  :)

;)
Walter

Offline ted13

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 12:43:01 pm »
the original track by Roberta Flack sounds like there are 2 chords in a bar whereas the pattern Justin shows here sounds like there is only one chord per bar.

for example, on the Roberta Flack track, on the chorus, i would count 1 2 for Em then 3 4 for Am whereas on the pattern shown by Justin, i would count 1 2 3 4 for Em and 1 2 3 4 for Am. I guess it's all the same at the end but this got me confused and it looks like you don't feel the song the same way whether you try the first example or the second.
any thoughts?

Mr.Ibanez

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 05:19:06 am »
Just found a video for a song that Justin teaches called 'Killing Me Softly' by Roberta Flack/Fugees.. In the video lesson he mentions getting tab and lyrics through the site. How do I access this for that song and others in the future?

I am new to Forums and this site. Sorry to be a pain. I will learn.

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 06:09:18 am »
Just found a video for a song that Justin teaches called 'Killing Me Softly' by Roberta Flack/Fugees.. In the video lesson he mentions getting tab and lyrics through the site. How do I access this for that song and others in the future?

I am new to Forums and this site. Sorry to be a pain. I will learn.

The older videos mention that.
At one time he had TAB up but the music overlords came and made him take them down.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline Lucky Tim

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 05:27:21 am »
I'm a bit stuck on this song, I really like it and it is all I want to play. I also really like Mr. Jones with the big F chord so I have been practicing my big F as well as changing from big F to the other chords in that song, Amin, Dmin, Big G. I feel like I may be a bit stuck on this, I am having progress with the big F and the changes but am not experiencing the fast progress that I did when I started; I.E. going from nothing (not being able to play) to something (being able to play a bit and seeing daily progress).
Right now my practice routine consists of playing Killing Me Softly over and over again while trying to not mess up. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't; And practicing my big F and big F changes. I play around a bit with other songs I like that are easier from time to time without messing up also.
I may be in a rut...
Any experience with this behavior? Any suggestions for me?
Something bad happened to my routine at Folsom Prison in stage 5 and I got very discouraged.
I moved on to 6 and found something that motivated me so I went with it.
I'm pretty sure I am developing bad habits yet am determined to continue and am not willing to give up.
I picked up the guitar about 6 months ago.

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 12:29:07 pm »
Right now my practice routine consists of playing Killing Me Softly over and over again while trying to not mess up. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't; And practicing my big F and big F changes. I play around a bit with other songs I like that are easier from time to time without messing up also.
I may be in a rut...
Any experience with this behavior? Any suggestions for me?

What do you mess up???  The chord changes?  You're playing too fast.  Slow down!!!  Three minutes between chord changes is not too slow if that's how long it takes for you to do it correctly 100% of the time.

Messing up the rhythm?  Then practice only the rhythm on muted strings (no chord changes) till you get it right 100% of the time.  Again, start very, very slowly.

Something bad happened to my routine at Folsom Prison in stage 5 and I got very discouraged.
I moved on to 6 and found something that motivated me so I went with it.
I'm pretty sure I am developing bad habits yet am determined to continue and am not willing to give up.
I picked up the guitar about 6 months ago.

What happened at Folsom Prison?  Was there an incident in the mess hall or in the shower?  (Just kidding.)  If you're worried about bad habits, find another guitarist in your town and ask them about it.

HTH
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline Lucky Tim

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 03:43:00 pm »
Thanks Sophiehiker,
I mess up by drifting in my concentration and playing the wrong chords, its like I get hypnotized by the music. Other than that it's pretty.
On Folsom it was as if something about the strumming flipped a switch in my heart that said "you cant do this". LT

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 04:42:32 pm »
On Folsom it was as if something about the strumming flipped a switch in my heart that said "you cant do this". LT
The strumming is difficult.  Again, it has to be taken very slowly.  As slow as you possibly can.  Start with one chord. 

In general, break everything down to it's smallest parts and start very slowly.
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline Lucky Tim

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 06:11:27 pm »
Thank you SophieHiker,
I'll go back to the stage I should be on and try to work through it. In the mean time, do you think it would hurt to continue my practice with big F? I really want to make the right of passage and know it will take some time. I'm over 50 and want to play before I die.
LT

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 12:03:08 pm »
No, not at all.  It takes some time to develop the strength for the F barre chord.  Technique helps, but it takes time to develop the strength.  Everybody struggles with it.  Keep at it.

Offline FPS

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 04:02:14 pm »
Dear all,

I have a quick question. At what tempo is the original version be played?

Thank you very much in advance.

Offline Macabre

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 06:35:29 pm »
Dear all,

I have a quick question. At what tempo is the original version be played?

Thank you very much in advance.

Bit late to the party as I've just decided to practice this song. When I did a quick google, the suggested tempo seemed to be variable at around 120 - 125 bpm.
Seagull Original S6 & Washburn EAT12 
Fender Standard Telecaster with Mustang 1 v2 amp
La Patrie Etude

Offline jellybee

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 03:07:52 pm »
Hi,

When I watch the video, I see that Justin didn't mention about the chord sequences in between the chorus and verse.
I looked up the internet for a while but also found no results. Can anybody suggest how to strum in between the chorus and verse ?

Offline bigbl5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 03:54:41 pm »
Hi,

When I watch the video, I see that Justin didn't mention about the chord sequences in between the chorus and verse.
I looked up the internet for a while but also found no results. Can anybody suggest how to strum in between the chorus and verse ?

As I recall, the chord sequence for that little part inbetween the chorus and the first verse is Am7 D Am7 D Am7 D Am7 D.  You could easily play the Am though.   The strumming pattern he recommends is old faithful (DDUUD)
I will eventually play as well as David Gilmour - even if it takes me another 40 years.

Offline jellybee

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 01:16:02 pm »
As I recall, the chord sequence for that little part inbetween the chorus and the first verse is Am7 D Am7 D Am7 D Am7 D.  You could easily play the Am though.   The strumming pattern he recommends is old faithful (DDUUD)
Thank you for your help.

1 more issue is that when I play along with the record, my strumming is always longer than the lyrics. And so, it seems to me that there is an extra, redundant bar in both the chorus and the verse. To be sure, I want to cross check the chord sequences for the chorus and the verse
[Chorus]
Em Am D G Em A D C G C F7 F7 E E

[In between]
Am7 D Am7 D Am7 D Am7 D

[Verse]
Am D G C Am D Em Em Am D G B7

Counting starts at the word "strumming", right ?

Also, this is the record I use to jam along

Any help is much appreciated.

Offline bigbl5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 01:27:27 pm »
Yep, that all looks right.  The only thing is the vocal lyrics start like a 1/2 beat after the chord for the verses, but like you said, the chorus is right on beat one.
I will eventually play as well as David Gilmour - even if it takes me another 40 years.

Offline jellybee

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 04:10:11 pm »
Yep, that all looks right.  The only thing is the vocal lyrics start like a 1/2 beat after the chord for the verses, but like you said, the chorus is right on beat one.
OK. Thank you for your help.
Guess now I just need to work on my beat counting.

Offline naturalmystic

• Good Vibes 0
There is a long gap in between the first chorus and the first verse https://youtu.be/l2n167F0eBc?t=25 What can you play in that gap?

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 113
If you try you can actually go straight from that first chorus into the verse...however if you want to replicate a little more closely as per your YouTube link you could just play some of the verse chords a couple of times. I dug out my book and I reckon if you played Am, D, G, C a couple of times BEFORE you then sang the verse that would sound ok. Obviously you could do far more complicated things (picking some chords etc.) but I think that would be the easiest. Give it a try and see what you think
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 619
  • Teesside, North East England.
temporary

Get The Forum As A Mobile App