Author Topic: BS-501 • Before You Accuse Me - Eric Clapton  (Read 4922 times)

Offline captainamerica

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
Re: BS-501 • Before You Accuse Me - Eric Clapton
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 10:27:23 pm »
I just listened to the first 5 mins and Justin explains he's covering a few different versions during the video. The first - based on a 12 bar blues in E  with a B7 thrown in - is the bit that really ties in with Stage 5 of the course. This really is the core of the song.

The other bits - intro etc -  are to come back to when you're a bit more advanced. It's a bit like in the books when Justin has some additional things you can add in for songs as you get more experienced.

This is a really good song to practice your 12 bar blues on.

From 1:55 to 2:30 in the video, whatever chords he is playing, they are not the ones shown in the BG course.  He is using some type of hammering action and such that does not look familiar at all.
Completed: BC, IM.  Now focused on aural/ear training and blues rhythm course....stay focused on Justin's teachings and they will guide you...

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 11:10:18 pm »
It looks to me like he's generally using techniques from BC156, BC183 and BC194. Id have to watch the video again but I think those "hammer ons" you describe are the variations.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage 05
Yamaha FG700MS, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Jamman Looper
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline captainamerica

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2016, 12:49:27 am »
It looks to me like he's generally using techniques from BC156, BC183 and BC194. Id have to watch the video again but I think those "hammer ons" you describe are the variations.

I took a quick peek at 183 and 194 and you're correct, I should have been more clear that the hammer ons or whatever they are were used in the Clapton song first, when normally Justin shows a basic strumming pattern first with the fretting hand holding the chords steadily on the fret board, then getting into more complex offerings.  Its still a cool riff, something to look forward to when I get to the last 2 stages.
Completed: BC, IM.  Now focused on aural/ear training and blues rhythm course....stay focused on Justin's teachings and they will guide you...

Offline Straitshoot

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 04:07:19 am »
Before you accuse me ....

What I'm having a problem with is the intro part according to the vide.  Has anyone wrote it down that can share it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline JayKay

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 06:59:40 pm »
The video for this song shows Justin playing chords/fretting that are not covered yet (or at all?) in the Beginner's stages up to and including Stage 6.  Was there a change in the course structure?

Can this video be put in a different lesson? The chords that he talks about have NOTHING to do with the chords we've learnt up till this point. Strange, Justin is normally so logical....

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 10:12:25 pm »
Can this video be put in a different lesson? The chords that he talks about have NOTHING to do with the chords we've learnt up till this point. Strange, Justin is normally so logical....

The basic core of the song is a 12 bar blues in the key of E, so you only need to know E,A,and B7, which have all been covered in previous stages. The main stage 5 skill is the shuffle rhythm which is probably why it's in as a stage 5 song.

Instead of using the chords in the video (they're actually open E and A chords, but only using the lowest two strings of each chord - the later 12 bar blues lesson covers them, although in the key of A), just use the standard open chords you've already learnt.

I suspect the reason for the video using the more bluesy chords, is to be more like the original song. The beginners song book, which would of been published a few years before the youtube lesson, only gives chord names, not the exact version you need to use.

Offline pcgirl1965

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 10:01:49 pm »
I am glad I read these post about this video as I was totally confused when I started watching the video and thought what he was showing us was way too hard for where I am in the lessons (which is stage 5).  I thought I have either really missed something or this particular version of the song is not what I am ready for.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App