Author Topic: BS-501 • Before You Accuse Me - Eric Clapton  (Read 12836 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 01:04:46 pm by Indigo »

Offline l1vingd3ad

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BS-501 • Before You Accuse Me - Eric Clapton
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 09:28:15 pm »
Hi, I'm having problem with trying to learn this song. In the lesson Justin mentioned that he has a separate lesson on chunk-a-chunk blues lesson as part of the beginner course but I can't seem to find it. The only reference that I can see goes to BL-201 which is geared more for intermediate students and I got lost pretty quickly.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 246
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 09:36:07 pm »
I think this is the lesson you're looking for but if you haven't done the previous lessons you'll
find this pretty hard.
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-156-RhythmBasics3.php

Offline l1vingd3ad

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 10:04:32 pm »
Found it!. Sorry I got too frustrated last night. Seems like the lesson I was looking for is in stage 8 (hBC-a83). A bit weird to put in the song in stage 5 though. So I'll leave this out until I get to stage 8.

Offline SunBurstUK

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
  • :-)
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 09:36:21 pm »

just went to practice this song with just  strums with holding the chords down for the song to see what happened. ::) hoping that it's the right thing to be doing as, I am finding this song and what goes with it frustrating.

so I am doing Down stop UP Down Stop UP and so on when holding a chord. :D

I am lost on the whole chunka chunka thing seems really advanced and the above says that it's a stage 8 thing really.
the video says we learnt about triplets in other lessons, yet I have been doing the lessons via the book and, I haven't noticed triplets as yet or shuffles. I must be ignoring something vital out completely. ??? I have only noticed the patterns in sets of 4s.oh dear this is going to be pretty hard work, but I do love the swing sound of the chunka chunka and it is a challenge worth learning, can't wait to give it a try when the times right.

now I am lost here as to what I should be doing and what I shouldn't be doing as the online video shows a chucka chucka technique straight away that wasn't in the previous lessons, if it was I have missed it somehow.
can anyone explain please if meant to learn this now or later? I wasn't sure to ask or not as, I felt not asking struggle on and pretend knew what was doing but, in asking was worried I'd look stupid.  :-[

thank you very much for replies

LOuise

"If at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off and  try again"

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 12:02:17 am »
Here are the links to the stage 5 lessons I think are the "prerequisites".

Links:
BC-155 http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-155-Triplets.php
BC-156 http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-156-RhythmBasics3.php

I believe some of the particulars with regard to the thumb and fingers stuff are specific to the tune and go a bit beyond the basics of those lessons.  But go for it!

Shadow

Oh and it appears chunk-a chunk-a doesn't happen until here:

BC-183 http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-183-12BarBlues.php
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 12:19:11 am by shadowscott007 »
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline SunBurstUK

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 04:08:22 pm »

Thank you Scott,
 I will bookmark those :-) I went onto stage 5 and found the A7 ok as I had been throwing it into other songs. E7 I mute one string same with D7 but I have only practiced those chords for 5 10 minutes just seeing where fingers went.
  I am going to dedicate some extra time to go back and really work on that B7, I have a habit of trying to run before I can walk. I have noticed it keeps me awake with the melodies and timing like triplets I am laying in bed counting it  :D

Offline donvp

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 03:14:20 am »
The song starts with the sequence  I, IV, I, I. But the lesson BL201 states that the 12 bar blues should start with the sequence I, I, I, I.  Please indicate why the difference in the two lessons.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 12:51:22 pm »
Don,

There are MANY variations in the 12 bar blues.  That is one of them.  Check this out.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BL-203-SequenceVariations.php

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline donvp

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 01:41:32 am »
Thanks for the tip. I have it now

Offline SunBurstUK

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 09:26:42 pm »
 I enjoy playing Clapton the most out of all the songs when I do play his songs feels like an achievement. It isn't easy to play I play it dudududu I grew up with Clapton jukebox on in uncles pub so  heard Clapton hours on end. Yet chunka chunka Hard I'm not great at that

Offline Harry

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 07:16:35 am »
This really is a song to grow in.
First keep it simple doing the basic chunca chunca baseline. The intro and leaders you can learn later when you are further. So for that maybe come back later if it is too difficult for now. Don't be too hard for yourself on this. You will be allright later. Just enjoy! Greatings Harry.

Offline jghamill55

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 03:03:55 pm »
Hi All
Any chance of getting the Tab for the Intro?
JH

Offline captainamerica

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 03:11:44 am »
The video for this song shows Justin playing chords/fretting that are not covered yet (or at all?) in the Beginner's stages up to and including Stage 6.  Was there a change in the course structure?
Completed: BC, IM.  Now focused on aural/ear training and blues rhythm course....stay focused on Justin's teachings and they will guide you...

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 12:23:47 pm »
I just listened to the first 5 mins and Justin explains he's covering a few different versions during the video. The first - based on a 12 bar blues in E  with a B7 thrown in - is the bit that really ties in with Stage 5 of the course. This really is the core of the song.

The other bits - intro etc -  are to come back to when you're a bit more advanced. It's a bit like in the books when Justin has some additional things you can add in for songs as you get more experienced.

This is a really good song to practice your 12 bar blues on.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline captainamerica

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 10:27:23 pm »
I just listened to the first 5 mins and Justin explains he's covering a few different versions during the video. The first - based on a 12 bar blues in E  with a B7 thrown in - is the bit that really ties in with Stage 5 of the course. This really is the core of the song.

The other bits - intro etc -  are to come back to when you're a bit more advanced. It's a bit like in the books when Justin has some additional things you can add in for songs as you get more experienced.

This is a really good song to practice your 12 bar blues on.

From 1:55 to 2:30 in the video, whatever chords he is playing, they are not the ones shown in the BG course.  He is using some type of hammering action and such that does not look familiar at all.
Completed: BC, IM.  Now focused on aural/ear training and blues rhythm course....stay focused on Justin's teachings and they will guide you...

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 11:10:18 pm »
It looks to me like he's generally using techniques from BC156, BC183 and BC194. Id have to watch the video again but I think those "hammer ons" you describe are the variations.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline captainamerica

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2016, 12:49:27 am »
It looks to me like he's generally using techniques from BC156, BC183 and BC194. Id have to watch the video again but I think those "hammer ons" you describe are the variations.

I took a quick peek at 183 and 194 and you're correct, I should have been more clear that the hammer ons or whatever they are were used in the Clapton song first, when normally Justin shows a basic strumming pattern first with the fretting hand holding the chords steadily on the fret board, then getting into more complex offerings.  Its still a cool riff, something to look forward to when I get to the last 2 stages.

Offline Straitshoot

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 04:07:19 am »
Before you accuse me ....

What I'm having a problem with is the intro part according to the vide.  Has anyone wrote it down that can share it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline JayKay

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 06:59:40 pm »
The video for this song shows Justin playing chords/fretting that are not covered yet (or at all?) in the Beginner's stages up to and including Stage 6.  Was there a change in the course structure?

Can this video be put in a different lesson? The chords that he talks about have NOTHING to do with the chords we've learnt up till this point. Strange, Justin is normally so logical....

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 10:12:25 pm »
Can this video be put in a different lesson? The chords that he talks about have NOTHING to do with the chords we've learnt up till this point. Strange, Justin is normally so logical....

The basic core of the song is a 12 bar blues in the key of E, so you only need to know E,A,and B7, which have all been covered in previous stages. The main stage 5 skill is the shuffle rhythm which is probably why it's in as a stage 5 song.

Instead of using the chords in the video (they're actually open E and A chords, but only using the lowest two strings of each chord - the later 12 bar blues lesson covers them, although in the key of A), just use the standard open chords you've already learnt.

I suspect the reason for the video using the more bluesy chords, is to be more like the original song. The beginners song book, which would of been published a few years before the youtube lesson, only gives chord names, not the exact version you need to use.

Offline pcgirl1965

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 10:01:49 pm »
I am glad I read these post about this video as I was totally confused when I started watching the video and thought what he was showing us was way too hard for where I am in the lessons (which is stage 5).  I thought I have either really missed something or this particular version of the song is not what I am ready for.

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2018, 07:49:41 pm »
Hi All.

Hope someone can help. What rhythm is used to strum the 1 bar of B7 ?  I am also using a 1 - trip let  rhythm four times to fill the bar...  to get it to flow from the chunka chunka rhythm of the open E and A chords.

Also, when using the thumb only to strum the E and A strings. is it better to rest th epinky on the body of the guitar or should one lt the hand be feee from the guitar.  The soft palm mute is difficult to ge tright.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App