Author Topic: putting my lyrics to a chord progression  (Read 989 times)

Offline phil_95

• Good Vibes 0
putting my lyrics to a chord progression
« on: February 17, 2015, 11:25:47 pm »
Hello, I'm new to this forum so I don't really know what reception  ill get here but here it goes

When writing, it's lyrics that come first for me; I'd say my lyrics are pretty unusual, like a blend of morrissey, alex turner and john cooper clarke (the punk poet, you should check him out if you haven't heard of him). Anyways I have pages of lyrics but can't quite seem to put them to music and struggle to create a melody from the words.

Can anyone suggest any excersises or tips which could help me develop a knack for making my lyrics into music on acoustic guitar

Thanks for reading

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
Re: putting my lyrics to a chord progression
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 02:03:39 pm »
Hi Phil,

To be honest i tend to work the other way around. What you could try is writing some music without specific lyrics in mind, then try humming/mumbling a melody over it. When you listen back you may hear spots which sound like they may be words that link in to the lyrics you already have written. You may have to tweak your lyrics a little, but perhaps you can develop them around that melody.

Not much help, i know.

Good luck - be sure to post the results.

Digger

Offline phil_95

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 08:30:11 pm »
I have tried that in the past, but I can never come up with a melody the satisfies me :/ does that come with lots of practice? And people post their work here?

Cheers :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 09:00:36 am by close2u »

Offline pt3r

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 09:03:56 am »
Thanks for the tip Digger, I came up with a chord progression a week ago that I have been playing a lot since it has changes to the F-chord and this has slowly but steadily evolved to something more consistent, so now I also try to mumble some lyrics over it while playing. Sofar there's not a lot that has stuck though  ;D mostly mumbling.
You gotta put a lot o' time in that thing. (Buddy Guy)

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 08:34:22 pm »
I think the more you do it the better the melodies can be. You get less self conscious, may be a little more adventurous as times goes on.
You'll find loads of examples in the audio/video section.
Everyone has their own way - and often more than one way.
It's a tricky one. Just let keep throwing mud till something sticks.

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 05:09:19 pm »
Hi Phil,

I usually write my lyrics first and then look for music to go with them. Unless I've got something in mind I usually put on a drum beat and start playing random chord progressions over it. I use the drums to indicate the rhythm of the words and see if anything I've written fits the feel of the drums and guitar.

Once you have part of the song done you can look at writing the music for the rest of it.

I go through phases with my practice and sometimes do something similar even if I have no words, usually at the end of the session for a bit of fun.

As Digger says just trial and error.

Hope this helps

diadem

Get The Forum As A Mobile App