Author Topic: Left Hand Fingers for Major Scale Improv?  (Read 5962 times)

Offline peterjung

• Good Vibes 0
Left Hand Fingers for Major Scale Improv?
« on: February 17, 2015, 02:05:28 pm »
Hi there...I have been using Justin's site for a while now and I have to say it is truly a wonderful thing...thanks, not only to Justin, but everyone else involved who make this site possible...

Recently I felt I had done enough freeloading and it was time to support with purchasing a few products.  I have got a few things but right now I am working on the Master The Major Scale DVD.

Firstly perhaps I should explain that I have “played” guitar for many years….just not very well…I know a little about a few things and can do a whole lot of things really badly… I am sure you all know guitar “players” like me…anyway…always having had a passion but never ever had the chance to have any proper lessons I found Justin’s site one day and after browsing around I resolved to actually go back to basics and really try and learn some proper technique and skills to playing….

I have a very simple questions which I expected would have been asked before but I looked through 6 pages on this sub-forum and didn't see it...so mods if I missed it forgive me...

My question is:

When practising improvisation using the major scale positions how important is it to maintain the normal scale fingerings?

I can maintain the discipline of the fingerings no problem when running up and down and plain “exercise” type scale playing…but when I get into a bit a free jamming I tend to find I start to use some different fingers for certain notes in the scale…. I find I can play maybe a little more expressively, using slides, hammer on/off, slight bends etc.

Should I try and discipline myself more to learn to use these techniques with the “proper” scale fingering?  Given what I said above I am wary about hampering my new learning by falling back into old habits…

Any wisdom, tips and advice very much appreciated!

Thanks

peterjung

PS – I can’t thank Justin Sandercoe enough for creating this website…..Never having had the opportunity to get any real lessons I feel like now I have a second chance and maybe, just maybe, and given a few more years, if I work at it hard enough I can become more like the player I always wanted to be…. Thanks Justin… peace to you … 

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 196
Re: Left Hand Fingers for Major Scale Improv?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 05:30:59 pm »
Using slides, hammer on, bends etc are all part of playing and linking the patterns together.
This will force you to use different fingering as you learn how to move around the neck.

Offline peterjung

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 12:38:15 pm »
stitch101

Many thanks for your response....I just reached 49 mins in the DVD where Justin mentions this very topic...

Thanks again

Offline useDraW

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 05:08:33 am »
all the ways you can comfortably do and push yourself gradually, don't rush if it's not there.
20 yo noisemaker/musician, been playing guitar for 11'ish years.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App