Author Topic: So, I want to build an online ear trainer  (Read 972 times)

Offline Guitar_noob

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
So, I want to build an online ear trainer
« on: February 09, 2015, 03:47:46 pm »
Hi,

I hope it's the good place to post my message. Seems like it !

I'm currently working as a web developer and I'm looking for a personal project to practice and learn new things out of job, during my free time. I've considered many things and the main objective is to build something that people would actually need and use. And then I thought : why not build an online ear trainer ?

I know there are already some online (and there's Justin app for iOS), but still... I would design it according to my needs but opinion coming from fellow musicians would definitely help.

1) What would you expect from an ear trainer ?
2) Are there some annoying missing feature that none of the already existing ear trainer have ?
3) Would you use it on a mobile phone, on a computer ?
4) Do you have any other suggestions ?

Being a personal project made during my free time, I do not have wild ambitions. But if it can help others...

Thanks ;)
限界などない!停滞しているだけだ!

Offline BartNL

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
Re: So, I want to build an online ear trainer
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 04:22:43 pm »
Justin's ear trainer is not only available as an app, but also on the site. Personally, I use the web version on windows, and have no desire to use it on my phone (even if there would be an android version).

I generally like Justin's trainer, and have no special desires that you could use to improve. The only thing is that it does not seem to be entirely stable for me, sometimes the sound simply disappears and I have to reboot to get it going again.

I also like the idea of having particular songs associated with specific intervals, like Justin does in his ear training lessons. Perhaps those songs could somehow be built into an online ear trainer?
1991 Ibanez AM-50, 2008 Am. DL Strat, Airline Twin tone, Cubase, computer-amped by Amplitube

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 91
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
Re: So, I want to build an online ear trainer
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 07:38:55 am »
I met up with a programmer here about 3-4 years ago. He wanted to make an ear trainer and needed someone to provide audio samples of the chords, so I worked with him and supplied the samples for the program. It worked and we "published" it here. Not sure if it ever got a lot of use. So I am kind of skeptical of another one being done at this time. If Justin did not have one up here already then it would seem there would be more of a need. Sorry as I don't mean to toss water on your project, but others have been there and done that, so it may not get used that much. But on the other hand, if your looking to cut your teeth on a project for yourself and a few others then heck with it and go for it!

Take good care
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Get The Forum As A Mobile App