Author Topic: Anybody interested in doing a drum track for my original?  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
    • Official Website
Anybody interested in doing a drum track for my original?
« on: February 09, 2015, 03:23:36 pm »
Is anyone on here interested in doing a nice drum track for the song I wrote? 
Frontwoman of alt-rock band Lighting Matches - debut album "Against The Flame"
www.LightingMatchesMusic.com
www.Facebook.com/LightingMatchesMusic

Debut solo EP "Destination Sunday" (Rachel White)

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
Re: Anybody interested in doing a drum track for my original?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 03:25:15 am »
I have Superior Drummer and might be into this if your still out there.

Thanks,
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
    • Official Website
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 02:21:28 pm »
I'm still here.  :)  I have the option of going to a local studio to record it, but I was hoping to see how good I can make it sound on my own first before I do that.  Plus either way, unless I can find someone who plays any of the other instruments (especially drums) it'll end up just being me and an acoustic guitar.  Which could go either way.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 02:26:01 pm »
If you plan to add other instruments later be sure to use a click track when you record the song. Reaper has a metronome that you can listen to with headphones while tracking.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
    • Official Website
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 02:28:24 pm »
Thanks Scooter, I'll make sure I do that!  :)

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 12:58:56 am »
Hey Rachel,

If you still need someone for this, I should have time this weekend and can try to put something together. I'll send you a PM about it.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 05:10:44 am »
Sounds like Mike might be able to help you out Hollywood.
I have one suggestion possibly. That is to lay down the drum track first and build off that. If you get a good drum beat going then you can use that instead of a click track to keep it all in sync. Just a thought and it works well on this end.

LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 05:30:41 am »
That is a good suggestion LBro, and it's what I tend to do. I find it easier to keep in time with a drum track than a click track. I'll even throw in a simple drum track to record songs that I don't intend to have drums on, then just delete it afterwards during the mixing stage.

Also, I replied to this thread because I had been in contact with Hollywood a while back and had offered to help out when I got the time. However, I'm not real experienced with drums so if you want to have a go at it LBro then feel free! I suppose we could both do a track, that way she would have 2 different options that she could run with.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 05:38:29 am »
I have one suggestion possibly. That is to lay down the drum track first and build off that. If you get a good drum beat going then you can use that instead of a click track to keep it all in sync. Just a thought and it works well on this end.

LB

That's definitely the ideal way to do it IMO..  But it can be difficult to create a drum track without the song as a reference. I recommended the click track assuming that the drums were going to be added to the song. What Ive done for adding a drum track for an existing song was to start with a scratch track with vocal and guitar that were created using a metronome, then built the drum track to that using the same tempo for the project. Then re-record the final guitar and vocal over the drum track.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 05:54:35 am »
Mike,
Only problem with me doing drums is I tend to do rock and such. Not sure Hollywood is into that. What drum wares are you using? I have Superior Drummer tweaked to a pretty heavy handed rock sound. Though something can be worked out I am sure. If you got time and can hook up with Hollywood this weekend go for it. I am trying to work on and play accurately a song I am working on. It is a lot of work!!!

Scooter - Indeed, I think one really needs to have a good feel for what they are looking for in a drum track. A lot of times I will find what I think might work and then sit and play to that to see if it "fits" well in the song. But what your saying would work too. I think collaborating over the net is cool but it makes the process of picking a drum track rather difficult. A few years back there was a site called Drum Monkey or something. That might be useful if still around as Hollywood could go there and pick what she likes and then share it with the person providing the drum track. Might really help to get things started off on the right foot and save sending a lot of files back and forth. Ah, I found the site and will post the link below:

http://www.rinki.net/pekka/monkey/

LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline chix2

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 10:32:46 am »
@LBro

the link takes you to start page is fine but click to continue and i just get a blank white page?

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 02:12:14 pm »
Hi Chix,
Yeah I had the same issue. It requires you to be running Java. If you don't have it then it has to be loaded and running before you fire up the page. I really wanted to have a peek at the tool, to see how it might have progressed since I was last in there. But alas I do not like messing with Java so I gave up. You have to realize I have at least 3 drum programs. If I had none then I would load Java and check this out as it was very useable and a pretty good addition back even 3 years ago....

Sorry for the bummer there on your end. If you do install Java and get it going then let us know how you liked it.

LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 02:50:12 pm »
Darn,
I went ahead and loaded Java (not always my first choice). The page for the Monkey Machine still did not work. Sigh, it must have died and is no longer viable. Sorry to get your hopes up!

LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 03:14:32 pm »
Rachel,  why don't you increase your odds and simply post a guide vocal/guitar track and let whomever do whatever.

Most likely someone will hear your track and get a feel for what they want to play. You then would replay your stuff to that feel.

Otherwise you end up trying to align a less than stellar vocal/guitar to a probably stiff metronomic drum track. Then you will try to sing to that and the whole ordeal will get stiffer instead of groovier.

You may in fact want to use parts from two or three different people.

Gone

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 05:12:25 pm »
Rachel,  why don't you increase your odds and simply post a guide vocal/guitar track and let whomever do whatever.

Most likely someone will hear your track and get a feel for what they want to play. You then would replay your stuff to that feel.

Otherwise you end up trying to align a less than stellar vocal/guitar to a probably stiff metronomic drum track. Then you will try to sing to that and the whole ordeal will get stiffer instead of groovier.

You may in fact want to use parts from two or three different people.

Good idea TB! Should be able to get her something that would work this way.

BTW - Where you been amigo? More importantly how you doing?

Take care and I will say one more thing, Rachel should include the time signature and possibly some other details to go along with the song like beats per minute, the structure verse, chorus and anything else that might help the "drummer".

LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Get The Forum As A Mobile App