Author Topic: New Pickups for Ibanez grx40  (Read 4195 times)

Offline ARM_24

• Good Vibes 1
New Pickups for Ibanez grx40
« on: February 12, 2016, 07:11:51 am »
I have an ibanez grx40 electric guitar.....i want to replace the bridge pickup with a dimarzio dp100 super distortion pickup......is it a worthy investment? 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 07:43:38 am by LievenDV »

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
Re: New Pickups for Ibanez grx40
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 07:58:07 am »

Hi ARM.

An aggressive pickup in bridge combination; you want to play some serious rock I guess? :)
New pickups are an investment but these pickups are reasonable in price.

You should always ask yourself whether you see this moment as a good point to upgrade in guitar as a whole new "better" platform to build on or not.
On the other side, if you are perfectly happy with your guitar, go for it.
I have little experience with dimarzio pickups though. I do think they'll surpass your stock pickups.

Now, the mandatory part, to make sure you don't get disappointed.
May we know what kind of amp you do your shredding on?
I invested in some  pickups before (Bare Knuckle and TV Jones) and I really onjoy the extra "definition" I've gotten out of them. They allow me to get me to a sound I want but my pedals and amp add much to that as well. For years I found it hard to find a good distortion for heavier stuff while my guitar was tweaked as far as I wanted. I have a decent "clean platform" amp and in the end the right pedal in the right spot made it complete.
I have several cheap, small amps with some remarkeable clean sounds. They all sound boxy when trying that metal/80's rock thing on it. Ok, I'm picky bu even with my favorite guitar and pedals these amps don't cut it.

Long story short Make sure you are aware of the opportunities and limitations of your gear when looking for pickups as the answer to your tone-question. Consider all your gear.
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline ARM_24

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 08:01:23 am »
Thanks LievenDV
I have a cheap 10 watt amp.......but i use distortion through my zoom g1xn processor that i bought for about 40$...... it's pretty good...at least for the price...... I've asked a lot of my friends about this thing......and they said that replacing pickups would be useless.....but honestly i think it will make a difference.....i mean guitarists like dave murray and steve vai use these pickups.......my processor gives a pretty good sound....but i think replacing the pickup will give me some badass distortion and harmonics....btw my guitar has a basswood body........so what do you suggest? I feel i should go for the upgrade.....because my guitar is pretty versatile and I think might be worth investing on pickups.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 05:41:37 pm »
A better amp should be your priority.
The best guitar through the best fx into a cheap amp will only sound as good as the cheap amp allows.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 08:42:07 am »
Inventing in pickups will be far more useful when you get a better amp. 10w is enough for home use but if you ever want to play in a band and you want your effects to sound as they should, you'll need more headroom when turning up the volume and The 10w won't cut it.

You can "scale" your use of effects: multi fx , cheap pedals, expensive pedals,...

For guitar too. Playing comfort, good action, good intonation and a dedication to play outrank the role of pickup quality. Sure. It's useful...

But an amp is a platform that needs investment. You can't build up an amp like you mix and match a pedalboard or guitar parts.

The difference of a better amp will inspire you far more that the gain you'll get from that pickup. All aspects of your sound will be better and the more you love your sound, the more you'll love your gear and sound.

My advice is to invest in pick-ups after an amp these pick ups because that'll shine a lot brighter and your ability to express your playing will "amplified" by the amp... Because in the end, that's What they'll do :)

You are always free to start with the pick ups of course but go to some shops and tale your guitar with you. Test some amps and learn how they sound. Find one that does good cleans and has an overdriven/distorted sound that suits you. Put a/your pedal in front of it. Finding your own style is much more fun knowing your amp isn't holding you back.

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline ARM_24

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 10:25:38 am »
Thanks a lot guys....... one last question..... should I buy a normal 20-30 watt amplifier......or save enough money and go for amp heads and cabinets?

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 11:09:45 am »
It does depend what you are / will be using it for and in what setting.
And you need to know that solid state watts are not equal to valve amp watts in volume.
What is your budget?
How cheap and nasty is your current amp?
We can advise with more info.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 11:10:29 am »
Also - start a new thread here perhaps ...

https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?board=81.0

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 02:27:16 pm »
A better amp should be your priority.
The best guitar through the best fx into a cheap amp will only sound as good as the cheap amp allows.
I have a cheap 15W (tube) amp. It keeps up with my Vox Bruno, which is right up there with their Custom series in terms of quality.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

Get The Forum As A Mobile App