Author Topic: Wireless monitoring  (Read 3319 times)

Offline Steve St.Laurent

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
Wireless monitoring
« on: January 03, 2015, 06:26:21 pm »
We use stage monitors and it's challenge to get the sound guy to get the levels right so that I can hear myself well.  I'm trying to figure out a way to set myself up to be able to monitor myself through headphones in one ear (and I can hear the rest of the band through my other ear on the stage monitors).  I use a Line6 Pod HD500 which has a headphone out so I can hook right to that.  I was hoping to do this wirelessly as this is a church worship band so I'm up and down potentially a few times during a service.  I tried a bluetooth transmitter that took an 1/8" input and sent it out through a2dp protocol over bluetooth and then used a bluetooth receiver to a headphone but the lag was horrendous (I'd guess around a 1/2 second).  I've searched for other solutions and haven't found any.  Anyone here run across anything? 

If I can't do it wirelessly then how about wired options?  I've looked at the Aviom belt pack with a volume control and I'm also looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GIFBM4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=29HDLXFNHJSZO&coliid=I3T9F4UVF86S2M .  I need to be able to control the volume right at the headphone because the Pod's headphone output volume is tied to the all of the outputs so I can't just change that volume on the fly as it will mess with the sound guys.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

Offline oljik

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Wireless monitoring
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 05:03:18 pm »
You can use FM headset. I came across one of this on the forum when searching for why bluetooth headsets had such terrible latency. I also tried to use bluetooth to get free of wires, but first I was thinking about FM transmitter used in wireless microphones. There is also bluetooth headsets with Apt-X technology but FM would be more latency free because it transfers analog signals not digital like bluetooth. Now I am trying to build FM transmitter-receiver couple myself but didn't succeeded yet. I am using parts from old TVs and audio players because I am very low on budget and also it needs to be ordered from abroad.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 10:10:33 pm »
The old FM single-antennae wireless systems weren't very good. They used to get a lot of drop-outs and could pick up unwanted radio signals. They make diversity VHF, and UHF wireless IEMs..

Some of the newer digital monitor mixers will allow you to control your monitor mix remotely via iPhone or iPad app.

I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline nickboothmusic

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 10:38:37 pm »
As the sound guy for my church, I'd ask you a couple questions:

1. Can you not hear the monitors at all, or just not yourself in them?
2. What are you hearing too much of?
3. How big is the stage and the room?
4. What is your budget?

There would be a couple easy solutions I can see, and a couple harder ones.

1. Get a small speaker with an 1/8" input and plug it into the headphone out from your pod and use that as your amp speaker. Just keep it quiet.

2. Play through an amp.

3. Split the monitors into zones, and run 2/3/4 different mixes. With a pretty typical worship band (5 instrumentalists, 5 vocalists), I run 4 different mixes to the stage.

4. Get a wireless IEM system and ask if you can use an aux send to set your own monitor mix up.

As a sound guy, I tend to take "more me" requests with a healthy grain of salt. Because of the size of the room we're in, the stage volume has to be regulated pretty tightly, otherwise instruments in the monitors are actually heard louder than the mains - which is a big problem. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 10:41:57 pm »
The original post here is over a year old.

I was responding to oljik's more recent post and trying to save him some disappointment.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Steve St.Laurent

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 02:25:06 pm »
As a sound guy, I tend to take "more me" requests with a healthy grain of salt. Because of the size of the room we're in, the stage volume has to be regulated pretty tightly, otherwise instruments in the monitors are actually heard louder than the mains - which is a big problem. 

This is the biggest problem - and sound guys with not much experience.  I ran our sound board for years as well so I'm familiar.  We'll get the stage volume set well - then it's more me, more me, more me - you never hear something like the keyboards too loud, could you turn it down a little.  I don't want to contribute to that.  My solution ended up just running a wire to my POD HD500 headphone out and had a custom IEM made that pipes both channels into the one IEM (and also has passive filters in it to let in some outside sound.  I got an 1/8" headphone extension that has a volume control right on it and I clip that up near my neck.  So I can adjust my volume in my right ear and then I just listen to everyone else through my left ear.  Works great.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 05:27:27 pm »
I run sound for a classic rock cover band and they use IEMs with a Behringer X32 Producer board that lets them individually set their IEM mixes via their iphones/androids.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 08:42:16 pm »
Mixing monitors is about 50% psychology. And nearly impossible to do well without a cue monitor. A lot of times musicians aren't very good at communicating what they need in their monitor mix. If you can cue up what they're hearing in their mix it's a lot easier to help them. It's also helpful when they show up for scheduled sound checks.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 12:33:54 am »
It's also helpful when you can convince them they need a sound check at all. :Op
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 10:44:52 am »
It's also helpful when you can convince them they need a sound check at all. :Op

Yeah.. Sound checks and rehearsals aren't always necessary.. But things tend to go smoother when you have them.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App