Author Topic: Some lyrics I wrote - What do you think?  (Read 2487 times)

Offline Setneck Tele USA

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
Re: Some lyrics I wrote - What do you think?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 06:11:54 pm »
Some more advice.  WRITE down your songs.  I have a ton of songs I wrote but never actually wrote them down, and now years later I have trouble remembering the lines sometimes.  Song writing is something that was always a hobby of mine while I plucked around on the guitar. 

In the beginning when  I was learning guitar with books I would make up songs to the chords I was learning to give me something different to play so I didn't get bored.

You really don't need to get caught up in whether a song flows like a poem in every line, but it does need to flow.
When I grow up I'm going to be Chet Atkins or Mark Knopfler

Offline Tomgudge123

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 10:11:30 pm »
Thanks Set Neck. I always make sure that whenever a lyric comes into my head, I write it down. Even if I look at it afterwards and think "Thats terrible".  About the replacing words in existing songs thing, I do that a bit too. It seems easier to write a song to an already familiar rhythm and tune to begin with. Helps loosen my mind up anyway.

Offline Setneck Tele USA

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 09:09:24 pm »
Thanks Set Neck. I always make sure that whenever a lyric comes into my head, I write it down. Even if I look at it afterwards and think "Thats terrible".  About the replacing words in existing songs thing, I do that a bit too. It seems easier to write a song to an already familiar rhythm and tune to begin with. Helps loosen my mind up anyway.

I started writing songs as a kid by rewriting the lyrics to songs I knew, then it grew from there.  Most professional song writers carry a notebook with them so they can write down ideas as they pop into their head.

There are things said everyday by people that would make the beginnings of a good song.  When you hear them, write it down, it doesn't have to come from you.
When I grow up I'm going to be Chet Atkins or Mark Knopfler

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 12:34:20 am »
There are things said everyday by people that would make the beginnings of a good song.  When you hear them, write it down, it doesn't have to come from you.

A great example of this is "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits. Mark Knopfler, quoted from Wikipedia:

The lead character in "Money for Nothing" is a guy who works in the hardware department in a television/​custom kitchen/​refrigerator/​microwave appliance store. He's singing the song. I wrote the song when I was actually in the store. I borrowed a bit of paper and started to write the song down in the store. I wanted to use a lot of the language that the real guy actually used when I heard him, because it was more real...

When an idea pops into my head and I'm away from home, I usually type it up in the "Notes" app on my iPhone. I've also heard a few songwriters say they use the built-in Voice Memos app to record lyrics or melodic ideas.

Regardless of what you use, be sure to jot your ideas down as soon as possible after they pop into your head. I've lost many ideas because I didn't write it down immediately and then couldn't remember it later.

Offline ravenclaw4

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 09:32:19 pm »
wow- these are beautiful! well done you xx
'Don't trust a song that's flawless'- twenty one pilots

Get The Forum As A Mobile App