Author Topic: Opinions on these Retro "Elvis Mics"  (Read 1372 times)

Offline sabathiel

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
  • The Crown only fits my head hence I am King.
Opinions on these Retro "Elvis Mics"
« on: December 31, 2011, 11:54:30 pm »
I am planning of buying a retro mic which I mainly intend to use for aesthetic reasons to post for Youtube with jazz swing style songs from the 1920s, 30s, 40s, 50s using backing tracks. Of course decent audio quality of the mic is a minimum. I have my eyes set on these two Shure Retro mics:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Shure-55SH-Series-II-Iconic-Unidyne-Dynamic-Vocal-Mic-Authorized-Dealer-/280794231396?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4160a3f264

The above is the Shure 55SG series II dynamic vocal mic which I think uses the Shure SM 58 capsule inside the mic.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shure-Super-55-Deluxe-Vintage-style-Chrome-Mic-w-Mount-FREE-25-XLR-CABLE-NEW-/370568808554?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56479f486a

This one is a bit more expensive than the one above since it is the Super 55 deluxe version but doesn't have an on/off switch. They say this one uses the Shure Beta 58 capsule inside the mic.

Anyone has any opinions on these mics and which one to recommend or even maybe other similar retro mics? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Gear:
Cole Clark FL2AC, Mini Maton EML/6, La Patrie Concert CW QI (classical guitar made by Godin), Fender Hau'oli (Tenor ukulele), Yamaha RBX-270-bass, Ibanez AEB10E-acoustic bass

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 152
    • Point Fifty
Re: Opinions on these Retro "Elvis Mics"
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 08:28:00 am »
I only saw this quite late.

I have a Sh55 (not the super model).
They say the super model (your first link, with the blue) has idd the 58 capsule and is a considerable upgrade to the first one.

I don't know much of mics though :)

Yeah, the model has a lot of mojo :) I like the looks too.
You have to sing quite up close though, with the risk of popping.
(I can't whistle in it without doing it a bit from the side.)

Up till now, it's been reliable and noise free and I became quite attached to it.

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline adibranch

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: Opinions on these Retro "Elvis Mics"
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 11:17:43 am »
Those are used a lot in live where a retro look is needed, and are basically a 57 or 58 head in a different housing. Nothing wrong with them at all, I worked on 'Buddy' touring for a while during my years as a sound op, and they were the primary vocal mic. Work very well in the right environment. Very little if any difference to the 57 or 58.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App