Author Topic: USB or mic with cheaper interface?  (Read 33323 times)

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
Re: USB or mic with cheaper interface?
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2014, 04:10:23 am »
Are there special headphones for this stuff or is it just nicer ones?

Both. When you mix, ideally you want to monitor on something that has good sensitivity and flat frequency response. Lots of consumer headphones hyped bass.

Unless you're in a noisy environment I'd recommend staying away from noise canceling headphones for tracking and mixing.

A good pair of closed back headphones should work fine. If you're already used to the way your headphones sound with other music, and the music sounds good on them, there's no reason you can't use them for tracking. And even though they might not be ideal for mixing, they can certainly be used until you get monitors.

You might want to find out what the impedance of your headphones is, and make sure they're compatible with the interface headphone output - but most interfaces will work with a variety of common headphone impedances.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2014, 03:04:05 pm »
Word of warning, the Scarlett appears to suffer from hot inputs. I'm not sure if all of the units suffer from it, but a friend recently acquired an 18i20 and it makes the instrument inputs useless. Also, the drivers for Mac are reported to be buggy. These are not my words, I'm just playing reporter here.

I'm sure somebody can shed some light on this (excuse the pun).
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2014, 03:17:45 pm »
You have a couple options there. You could mic the amp with a 57, or you could record the guitar direct using the instrument input on your interface. The two will have very different sounds.

On that amp, perhaps not.

Bear in mind the actual amplifier and speakers/cabinet on the Line 6 amps are designed to be neutral, unlike a traditional guitar amp. All the tone is done using amp and cabinet modelling, so the output from the  recording output should be very similar to the output from the amp's own speaker.

Obviously, micing up the amp will introduce new colouration (due to the characteristics of the mic and the room itself, not to mention the positioning of the mic, etc.), but for this application such colouration is more likely to be detrimental than beneficial: if he likes a particular tone that the amp produces (to his ears) and wants to reproduce that in a recording as much as possible, that will be far easier with the record out into an interface on this type of amp.

IMO, amps like the Line 6 range are (in part) there to allow easy recording with good results without the hassle and expense of micing up.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2014, 03:42:39 pm »
Not really - because a mic that would be ideal for recording would not be as ideal for live sound because of feedback issues. You could make the compromise on your recordings and select a 58 or Beta 58 for both. (the 58 would be good for live, but not ideal for recording.)

THIS!

You may want to consider getting a cheap stage mic and a portable field recorder, like one of the Zooms or the Boss BR-80, for general recording. Some of these (BR-80, Zoom H4N) even support an external mic and can be used as a USB recording interface. So you could plug something like the SM58 and record from this into a H4N or BR-80 either directly to the device's SD card or, plugged in via USB, into a computer.

Bear in mind these devices are relatively low resolution (typically 16-bit, 44.1kHz), but the quality from them is very good, and is totally adequate for Youtube use, and even for home recording.

(Google for reviews and even audio samples for these devices).

The BR-80 is, IMO the better of these two devices as it's a full standalone, portable multi-track recording system (including drum tracks and editing, onboard guitar and vocal fx and amp simulation) so you could record, mix, and edit without being near a PC, but it would break your budget to get this with the SM58 (total price around $350) although you could get the BR-80 first and add the external mic later when you can afford it, or get a cheaper mic.

The Zoom H4N plus mic would come in at around $250, although I don't think Guitar Center sells either this or the BR-80.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2014, 04:20:29 pm »
Word of warning, the Scarlett appears to suffer from hot inputs. I'm not sure if all of the units suffer from it, but a friend recently acquired an 18i20 and it makes the instrument inputs useless. Also, the drivers for Mac are reported to be buggy. These are not my words, I'm just playing reporter here.

I'm sure somebody can shed some light on this (excuse the pun).

Good to know.... I actually like that UR22 that Scooter mentioned. If I had to blindly choose one or the other I think now I would pick the Steinberg/Yamaha deal. I had never seen it before.

Gone

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 43
    • Official Website
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2014, 04:21:17 pm »
Thanks, Majik, I'll check it out!

I was searching GC and Amazon this morning and I came across this.  THe price is pretty good, I think, considering you get a lot more stuff with it.  But it's a condenser mic.  I think it comes with everything you need except for headphones, so I do wonder whether or not this would be good.  But I'm probably better off with a dynamic mic right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-2i2-Interface-Recording/dp/B009DQF14C/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Otherwise, I also saw these interfaces.  Are any of these good?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tascam-US-1200-USB-Audio-Interface-110007473-i3593053.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Presonus-AudioBox-iTwo-2x2-USB-iPad-Recording-System-110316445-i3746431.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Pod-Studio-UX1-with-Pod-Farm-108419649-i1427097.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Presonus-AudioBox-USB-Limited-Edition-109564633-i3307494.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/TSoundPro-duet-BREAKOUT-Interface-485418-i1516020.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-TRI-CAPTURE--USB-Audio-Interface-107763641-i1835617.gc

The Line 6 has the most good reviews.  I also saw a Yamaha with good reviews but I'm not sure if it works with my computer.
Frontwoman of alt-rock band Lighting Matches - debut album "Against The Flame"
www.LightingMatchesMusic.com
www.Facebook.com/LightingMatchesMusic

Debut solo EP "Destination Sunday" (Rachel White)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2014, 04:35:18 pm »
Taht Breakout Box is not what you want at all.

The rest - would work -
The Line6 has a lot of Amp and FX modeling... mainly for electric guitar players. If you want that sort of thing there are free amp models that will work with any DAW software.

The others are just variations on a theme.

So far the best quality that gets you a stage mic, gets you recording, stays on low budget, has good industry rep is the UR22 + SM58

Some of that other stuff you are looking at is out of your budget... or the gold one more $ because they painted it gold. Roland stuff is good but it's not mainstream with drivers and all that for your computer. I've had Roland, it's fine... All of this stuff is fine....

The mics in the first one... Not for stage. Plus nobody knows just what the mics are. You would have to look for reviews and hopefully from someone that didn't just buy one because they will tell you it's good after having spent the money.

I gave you link to that UR22 for $117 .. that's not a bad price at all.... but in reality ANY interface will work provided they make Mac drivers for it. It's just that some names and some products stand out and may have an edge.

Your dilemma is not what will work. It's what will work for recording and stage and be inexpensive and high quality..... that's a tall order.

It's old story of you can have it "fast, good , cheap". Pick 2.  Studio and Stage use different things... it's easier as Scooter pointed out to adapt Stage to Studio... the reverse is not true.
Gone

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 43
    • Official Website
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2014, 05:04:55 pm »
I need to find out what kind of USB plugs I have - apparently that interface doesn't work on 3.0s.

If it doesn't work for my computer, what would be your second and third choices?

By the way - GC has a $20 off promo right now, which helps a little.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2014, 05:19:04 pm »
What is a 3.0s

Aren't the USB ports on a Mac the same as PC?

Don't you a flat rectangle usb port about a 1/2" wide?
Gone

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 43
    • Official Website
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2014, 05:23:39 pm »
I have no idea what the difference is.  But apparently that one doesn't work on 3.0 USB ports, whatever that means. 

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2014, 05:34:51 pm »
You can plug USB 2 into USB 3. You can't plug USB 3 into USB 2...

Well this is to say... USB is the faster. But plugging USB2 into USB3 still works... it just doesn't have that speed... although I think USB2 into USB3 can be a little faster in some situations... but not that big jump.

Plugging USB3 into USB2 would be a downgrade and might not function properly. It wouldn't function up to speed.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads_hardware/downloads_ur22.html

Gone

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 43
    • Official Website
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2014, 05:38:55 pm »
Okay.

So if the UR22 is your first choice, what would be your second and third choices?  If I can get it down to 2 or 3 that you guys recommend the most I can do more research and comparisons on them all and it'll be easier to decide which of those will work best for me right now.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2014, 05:53:56 pm »
Well most people like the 2i2. the issue Cue mentions about Mac drives would concern me.

The hot inputs means the signal get's overloaded too easily. That is easily cured with a couple of resistors. You just have to make a little box known as a "PAD" ... it pads the signal down to a lower level.

You will always need little helper devices when recording. You make / buy them as needed and keep them at the ready...

So making the inputs useless is not correct... but I have seen people say they want to sell their 2i2 for a UR22 because it distorts too easily... they simply don't understand signal levels and how to remedy this everyday situation.

What they are saying is sort of like looking a drinking water fountain and saying the water comes out too fast or too slow to drink so the water is useless... Well in reality you simply need to adapt.

Worse case scenario it's a $10 fix. You can take an old guitar cable and pt the parts in the plug and simply label that cable. that way probably cost 10 cents.

Ideally you want the best Mic Preamps you can get. Yamaha makes good stuff in that regard. they have had lots of practice and have deep pockets.

Go to the bottom of this page... Click on the sound clips. Pick your top 3. Don't look at the answers

http://recordinghacks.com/2012/06/18/sm7b-audio-interface-shootout/

Gone

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 43
    • Official Website
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2014, 05:59:49 pm »
Maybe I don't know what to listen for? To me, they all sounded the same, except for number 5 sounded a little different. ALthough the writer of the article said the same thing, so I guess it's not just me.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2014, 06:09:15 pm »
That's the point... I actually picked Mackie and Apogee. Both known for their attention to quality. But... I like several of the others just as much and at points if you keep clicking around you can't tell one from the other.

SOoooooo... you shop "drivers", "reputation", "price", etc...

There really is no top 3. You would have to own them and live with them to really find any difference.

Now something like what I have made by RME... they have killer software that comes with it. They are also extremely precision oriented.... but you are way up the money scale then and expandability, connection to other gear, all that sort of stuff can come into play.

But almost all of these entry level devices are about the same. It's just that over time, the forums get hold of them and run tests on them, find little flaws, etc... and a couple seem to rise to the top as being "no problem" ... they can all be no problem though and they can all be fine for what your intended use.
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App