Author Topic: USB or mic with cheaper interface?  (Read 29860 times)

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
Re: USB or mic with cheaper interface?
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2014, 02:49:58 am »
I think I said it earlier, but I'll say it again: I use the Scarlett 2i2, and I would recommend it. I believe I paid around $120 new on Amazon. It's normally $150 but it seems they have price drops to the $120 range every so often. It's a good interface, and it should last you a while.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2014, 02:50:54 am »
Agree, damn we are trying to cover every possible aspect from cash outlay, to future proof, to audio quality, to stage vs home, AND let her make the decision from a rather complicated but narrow list that works as well as it can under all those criteria.

That's not exactly an easy task.

Well you lost her, she said that. You can't expect to teach everything you've learn in one hit. As for future proofing, that's really down to how someone finds the stuff they have. I dowlonaded a number of recommended DAWs a while back and most were too complicated to do even the simplest things. Probably because I wanted simple, and everyone recommended what they liked best….

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2014, 02:53:30 am »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEINBERG-UR-22-Compact-USB-2x2-Computer-Recording-Interface-UR22-Retail-Box-/131368669180?pt=US_Computer_Recording_Interfaces&hash=item1e962ecffc

That's the cheapest I see with free shipping. from a high volume seller that is a music shop.

Whatever you do with it, that and SM58 is a decent setup. There is no reason you can't make a good recording with that. Those mic pres -should- help that mic out too.
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2014, 02:56:07 am »
Well you lost her, she said that. You can't expect to teach everything you've learn in one hit. As for future proofing, that's really down to how someone finds the stuff they have. I dowlonaded a number of recommended DAWs a while back and most were too complicated to do even the simplest things. Probably because I wanted simple, and everyone recommended what they liked best….

No we did not lose her. She simply didn't understand one post, which makes no difference.
Gone

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
    • Official Website
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2014, 02:59:41 am »
Oh, one more question:  The stuff I'm looking at right now would be a mic, stand, mic cable, and an interface.  Is there anything else I will need?  Any other cables or anything?  I want to make sure I'm not missing anything when I'm ready to order.
Frontwoman of alt-rock band Lighting Matches - debut album "Against The Flame"
www.LightingMatchesMusic.com
www.Facebook.com/LightingMatchesMusic

Debut solo EP "Destination Sunday" (Rachel White)

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2014, 03:01:27 am »
Oh, one more question:  The stuff I'm looking at right now would be a mic, stand, mic cable, and an interface.  Is there anything else I will need?  Any other cables or anything?  I want to make sure I'm not missing anything when I'm ready to order.

You will need a way to monitor your recordings. A good set of headphones will work until you can save up for some studio monitors. And then you will continue to use the headphones for tracking. Used might be your best option for decent affordable headphones.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2014, 03:03:42 am »
Pop filter. There are a bunch of DIY options available, but you should be able to get a pretty decent one for $20 or so.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2014, 03:05:33 am »
Pop filter. There are a bunch of DIY options available, but you should be able to get a pretty decent one for $20 or so.

FWIW, if you've decided to go with an SM58, a pop filter screen might not be necessary as there's a pop filter built in.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2014, 03:07:32 am »
Good point, Scooter. I didn't think of that. With the SM58 a pop filter shouldn't be needed, but if she decides on a condenser mic then it'll be important.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2014, 03:11:35 am »

I think you have pretty much run your budget out. Probably won't need a pop filter with that mic, it's built in.

IF you do, save yourself some money and just get a wire coat hanger. Shape it to a loop, and stretch a pair of panty hose over it. then just cut them and tie them off. Same thing and a whole lot cheaper.

Or..  a crochet loop instead of wire.

Directions on Youtube.

that might come in handy if you do the unscrew the head trick like scooter mentioned back a ways.

Oh.... btw... remember the girl doing the mic test.... take a look at her background... see how it hangs a little cleaner and is not over lit? Actually she over exposes it a bit up top... but it's still a pretty even mass altogether.

When you start looking for headphones this is a good set.
AT-M50 - they are somewhere around $100. They are very popular for recording.

IF you intend to listen to what you play through those earbuds you were using... you will need a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter or adapter cable.

The front of that interface uses a 1/4" Stereo jack and you have a 1/8" stereo plug on the end of the cable.

Another thing you can do is run the outputs on back which are also 1/4" to your Stereo if you have one. Then you need 1/4" to RCA plug... via cable or adapter. Some of that stuff can add up $5 here, $10 there.... if you buy this stuff and have a stereo or boombox or whatever, I might have some old cables and adapters around here I could send you. I got rid of a lot of that stuff but probably have enough left over for what you might need.... again thrift shops are good for that stuff too. You get a cable for $1 or go to radio shack and pay $7.50 for it. Don't be fooled by the fancy plugs and names. Unless the dog chewed it up it's probably fine.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 03:33:01 am by TB-AV »
Gone

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
    • Official Website
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2014, 03:21:02 am »
I have seen some videos on YouTube on making your own pop filter, as well as making a diy vocal booth and such.  I'll go back and watch some of those and see what I can come up with. 

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2014, 03:28:38 am »
If you choose to remove the SM58 pop filter and make your own DIY version, just make sure it looks professional. The reason I suggested buying one is that there's been a lot of talk about recording professional looking videos and it seems like a coat hanger with pantyhose wrapped around it might take away from the professionalism of the final product.

But since you are going with the SM58 I wouldn't worry about the pop filter at the moment. I posted my comment before I realized that was the mic you were going to buy.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2014, 03:37:04 am »
The reason I suggested buying one is that there's been a lot of talk about recording professional looking videos and it seems like a coat hanger with pantyhose wrapped around it might take away from the professionalism of the final product.

Oh yeah! .. .don't put the panty hose deal in the video.. it's kind of a shame the mic and stand have to be in the video... but no easy way around that.

Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2014, 03:42:20 am »
By the way... what exactly are your plans for actually listening to what comes out of the interface?
Gone

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
    • Official Website
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2014, 03:51:17 am »
Well... right now I have pretty nice headphones.  Better than earbuds but certainly not the $100 noise-cancelling style.  Music sounds pretty good through them (a heck of a lot nicer than through my earbuds) so I would imagine they'll work fine for now.  Are there special headphones for this stuff or is it just nicer ones?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App