Author Topic: USB or mic with cheaper interface?  (Read 27700 times)

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
Re: USB or mic with cheaper interface?
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2014, 02:05:47 am »
So, the other question now:  Which interface(s) do you guys recommend that is around or under $100?

For a two input interface in that price range that would work for your recording needs I'd recommend a Steinberg UR22 or a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2014, 02:09:47 am »
Yes, I have a Mac.  But beyond that... I have no idea what you just said.  ??? 

I think you should all take note. Like Hollywood, I have zero idea of what most of you are on about, and was following this thread for some useful info. While you're trying to help, you all seem to be more having a discussion among yourselves than solve her issues.

She has a small budget and wants simple, not a full program on how to do audio recording. Once she's started I'm sure she'll pick stuff up. A lot of the gear and techniques you're talking about take time and practical experience in learning to do doing this.

Just get her started.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2014, 02:15:16 am »
We are giving her the exact things to buy and letting her make her own decisions. The inserts comment was basically between me and scooter and anyone else that may be listening that does know what it means.

this looks interesting... Scooter do you know those mics? Some MXLs are fine but i don;t know that number.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Focusrite-Scarlett-2i2-USB-Recording-Interface-w-MXL-440-441-Mics-2-XLR-Cables-/371195110706?pt=US_Computer_Recording_Interfaces&hash=item566cf3e532

Hollywood, that Scarlet 2i2 that both of us recommended is hard to beat. I think several people here have it as well.
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2014, 02:17:57 am »
While you're trying to help, you all seem to be more having a discussion among yourselves than solve her issues.

You mean like when she clicks the links, hears the blind examples, picks the correct mic? You think that's a bad thing?

Gone

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2014, 02:21:45 am »

Scooter do you know those mics? Some MXLs are fine but i don;t know that number.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Focusrite-Scarlett-2i2-USB-Recording-Interface-w-MXL-440-441-Mics-2-XLR-Cables-/371195110706?pt=US_Computer_Recording_Interfaces&hash=item566cf3e532

No. I have no first-hand experience with those particular mics.

I think you should all take note. Like Hollywood, I have zero idea of what most of you are on about, and was following this thread for some useful info. While you're trying to help, you all seem to be more having a discussion among yourselves than solve her issues.

She has a small budget and wants simple, not a full program on how to do audio recording. Once she's started I'm sure she'll pick stuff up. A lot of the gear and techniques you're talking about take time and practical experience in learning to do doing this.

Just get her started.

Personally I've tried very hard to determine what Hollywood's needs are and to help her decide what equipment would be most suitable. If I got off-track it was in an effort to clarify something or to help her avoid making a poor decision. Any elaboration was meant to explain the reasoning.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2014, 02:23:25 am »
I'd recommend a Steinberg UR22 or a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.

Is Steinberg ok on a Mac? I get worried buying hardware with a software company name on it... especially when they compete with Logic on a Mac.
Gone

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 41
    • Official Website
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2014, 02:25:07 am »
I really appreciate all of your help so far, guys!  :)

Okay, that will probably work!  One question:  Is it bad to buy a used interface, or are they generally alright?  GC has a used Scarlet 2i2 for $90 at the moment.  Is it worth it to spend the extra and get it brand new, or is used a good way to go?

The other interface - the Steinberg - says it works on Mac 10.5.5 and 10.6.  I'm not sure whether or not that includes 10.6.8, which is what I have.
Frontwoman of folk-rock band Lighting Matches
www.LightingMatches.weebly.com
www.Facebook.com/LightingMatchesMusic

Debut solo EP "Destination Sunday" (Rachel White)

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2014, 02:27:01 am »
Is Steinberg ok on a Mac? I get worried buying hardware with a software company name on it... especially when they compete with Logic on a Mac.

Yes, it's USB 2.0 and is compatible with all Common DAW software. I've heard very good things about the pre's in the UR22. http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_serie/modelle/ur22.html

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2014, 02:27:15 am »
Personally I've tried very hard to determine what Hollywood's needs are and to help her decide what equipment would be most suitable. If I got off-track it was in an effort to clarify something or to help her avoid making a poor decision. Any elaboration was meant to explain the reasoning.

Agree, damn we are trying to cover every possible aspect from cash outlay, to future proof, to audio quality, to stage vs home, AND let her make the decision from a rather complicated but narrow list that works as well as it can under all those criteria.

That's not exactly an easy task.
Gone

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 41
    • Official Website
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2014, 02:28:55 am »
Steinberg is owned by Yamaha?

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2014, 02:31:23 am »

I'm not sure if the companies are related, but the Steinberg interfaces use Yamaha preamps.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2014, 02:32:01 am »

Yes, I think Gibson bought Cakewalk and Yamaha bolught Steinberg( Cubase )... Yamaha is very very good at digital audio.

---- I was not familar with that box but that is probable a very good choice. I have a Yamaha digital mixer and their software control is great. Those preamps are probably even better than what is in my board. they were the first company to put out a MIDI keyboard the DX7

I would have no qualms buying that interface. Little harder to find at $100 but I'm sure there i sone out there.

Used vs New... GM / MusiciansFriend sesm to have good descriptions... Look at MusiciansFriend too. I bought a used acoustic guitar and it looks like new. Had a smudge on the back.

Electronics... I would stay away from the ones with no boxes, manuals, software, etc.. I bought a B-Stock laptop that aside from some rough finish is perfect and was way over a hundred almost 200 cheaper.

I have bought used off ebay and while everything worked good, one piece had a bent knob shaft that made it turn funny. It doesn't hurt to ask if it came from a smoke free environment... I had a hell of time getting the stench out of an eDrum.... oddly sunlight helps with that ...

GC, SamAsh, MusiciansFriend(same as GC) will give a warranty but you have to pay return. You can however talk to them on the phone and have them check it out... Turn the knobs, insert plugs, etc...

But MusiciansFriend ratings are conservative if anything I would call their VG pretty much near new.

It's usually cosmetic.  and to be honest for an interface there is little there to check. Two channels that should work exactly alike.

Gone

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 41
    • Official Website
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2014, 02:33:37 am »
So is it better to buy a new interface or is used okay?

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2014, 02:37:24 am »
So is it better to buy a new interface or is used okay?

I think with an interface it would be best to buy new. The pots can wear out on them and you never know what kind of environment they came from. Even with a used gear warranty I would buy new. The price difference to me isn't worth the hassle of having to send something back and wait for it to be exchanged or repaired. And there are often shipping charges involved with repairs or exchanges.

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 41
    • Official Website
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2014, 02:38:57 am »
Awesome!  Alright, well, I think that's all of my questions at the moment.  Thanks a ton for your help, everyone!  I really appreciate it.  :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App